LEGOman273

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5 Discussion

Just saw A War on Two Fronts and Front Runners back-to-back, and I was terribly disappointed by both episodes. I literally fell asleep in the midst of watching them, I found the storyline shallow (Ep. 2 was just about teaching the rebels the entire episode!) and the romantic-jealousy-angle of Ahsoka-Lux-Steela was so stomach-turning it reminded me of a horrendous Vampire-Human-Werewolf love triangle. :sick:

I've toned down my expectations watching TCW, but I couldn't believe it has stunk to these boring levels. I do hope the next episodes will pick up the action!

I find it funny how they act as if the weakness to destroyers droids was common knowledge, even though this is the first episode they show it in.

I was hoping that they would reference their own movie by saying that they are vulnerable while rolling, but instead they come up with a new weakness.

Edited by Darth Lurtz

I'm thinking that Saw might betray them, and why did they make it look like it was such a big reveal that Saw and Steela were brother and sister at the end? I think most people already knew...

Personally, I didn't know it and was a bit surprised. The scene reminded me a bit of Leia's revelation in Return of the Jedi. The ironic thing is that Steela's revelation doesn't improve Ahsoka's situation, but worsens it. I wonder if she'll be able to let Lux go, but I think she will. And that's the reason why I think the comparison to the "ordinary" love story is inappropriate:

Basically, a love story is about the question who gets whom.

But that's not the issue here. Rather, Asohka is exposed to a situation in which she can't control all the factors, especially not the feelings of other persons, in this case Lux' and Steela's. The question is how she'll deal with it, and whether or not she'll be able to focus on her mission objectives, and not to get distracted by her personal feelings. Unlike hate, anger and so on, love is not exactly a negative feeling. The curious thing about it is that it may nevertheless lead to the dark side.

All in all, I find this arc much more entertaining than Water Wars. I hope though that it'll be concluded in the next episode, and that the love-context is not the only one that is used to show how Ahsoka makes progress as a Jedi.

Edited by Brickadeer

First look at an episode (that we've never heard of before) called "The Gathering". http://blog.cartoonnetwork.com/2012/10/17/first-look-yoda-schools-younglings-in-the-gathering/

So this will be part of the Young Jedi arc. To those that don't know what the Young Jedi arc is, it was an 88 minute movie that was showed to a select audience at Celebration VI (I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before). So it looks like An Old Friend will be pushed back because I've heard that this is airing November 3rd, although I can't seem to find where everyone got this information about the air date. Oh, and since it was 88 minutes long at Celebration VI, this should be another 4-part arc.

My two kids and I got to see these Episodes during CVI. It was the highlight of their CVI experience. It was a real interesting story arc that's geared towards younger Star Wars fans.

So now they're gonna butcher the Ilum story arc too? Ugh. :ugh: And it will be 4 episodes long and geared towards younger fans? I have a bad feeling about this.

Our review of The Soft War is up.

To summarize my thoughts,

The episode started out pretty strongly, with a good amount of action, but then it turned into a lot of talk and a minor conflict during the execution scene. After the opening sequence, the characters just didn’t seem to do much. That wouldn’t have been bad if there was significant character development or a major confrontation in the middle and/or at the end, sort of how the plot of The Empire Strikes Back played out, but this episode didn’t have that.

It’s not that the episode did anything wrong… just that it didn’t seem to do anything of note at all. This to me was just a filler and setup episode. All that actually happens is that the rebels gain more public support and a general, and a character who’s seemed to me nothing more than a
dies.

Minor nitpicks: Droids always drive AATs with the hatches unlocked and the turret hatch open. The one-way shield had a hexagonal pattern, when visible shields in Star Wars usually have a more fluid quality. The 'Super Tactical Droid' doesn't look quite right; I think it has too many curves and its ball joints at the hips and shoulders stick out too much.

Minor nitpicks: Droids always drive AATs with the hatches unlocked and the turret hatch open.

I completely agree. The incompetence of the droids is what really drags this story down, and judging by this clip it's only going to get worse. :hmpf_bad:

Tipping Points Preview:

I was hoping he would say Hondo, and he did! :sweet: However, I have a feeling he wont have a big role in the episode. A large battle + droid gunships + Hondo sounds like the formula for an epic episode. The previews for this episode have been less than impressive, but I hope it will still be good.

This upcoming story arc was pretty nice when my kids and I watched it at Celebration VI. Not trying to complain but I'm really missing the Clones as they seem to be MIA in Season 5. Knowing this arc will take up the next 4 weeks, I'm doubtful we'll see any action with the Clones until after the New Year.

Great, now they're screwing with lightsaber lore. :wall: You don't build your saber until you have a master, and the caves have a nest of some creature, I don't remember right now, guarding the entrance. Well, we'll see how this episode does.

Who is this Wookiee initiate? George Lucas said no more Wookiee Jedi, (But now he has no say in anything)

He also said there would be no seventh, eighth and ninth Star Wars movies... aaand there goes.

Looking forward to this story arc. I've been playing the Old Republic MMO and still don't have a real lightsaber. At the moment the Jedi only trust me with a training one.

I loved the orginal Ilum story arc from the original series, so hopefully this shouldn't be terrible for me. I think it would however have been cooler seeing someone else instead of Ahsoka. Maybe Yoda or Fisto, maybe even Plo Koon. I'm getting a bit bored of the same old Jedi. That's one of the reasons I loved the first two seasons they mixed it up and pushed some of the background characters to the front.

To be honest, this story arc doesn't seem interesting to me in the slightest.

4 entire episodes about the creation of lightsabers...? Meh...

Edited by General Magma

To me, it all looks pretty neat, innocent, and magic, and I see it knowing how it'll all end. So to me, this arc is basically is giving an impression of what gets lost with the annihilation of the Jedi order.

Edited by Brickadeer

according to the preview, the next few episodes will be a snoozefest. I thought Season 5 was about Darth Maul and Savage Oppress not snoozefests like lightsaber lore and battle droid action.

according to the preview, the next few episodes will be a snoozefest. I thought Season 5 was about Darth Maul and Savage Oppress not snoozefests like lightsaber lore and battle droid action.

Well in season 2 they said Cad Bane was going to be huge in season 2, but instead ends up only being in 3 episodes.

The 4 episodes revolve around the younglings. If I remember correctly, only one episode is truly devoted to the creation of lightsabers. At Celebration VI, Dave Filoni introduced these episodes by talking about how Star Wars has always been about families and these episodes were focused on that.