Sign in to follow this  
efferman

"TSATS": The Harbour Tug

The Harbour Tug

6835452384_d144862354_z.jpg

My entry of the "to sail the technic sea" contest is a floating vessel in the style of a Harbour tugboat. The feature of my tugboat is a Voith Schneider propulsion system. A classic propulsion system for ships works with a horizontal driveshaft and a propeller. The advantage of the vertical Voith Schneider propeller is, that it could adjust the boost of the propeller in all directions, without using a rudder.

6981757305_b0ff8fa2e4.jpg

The vessel can move sidewards and rotates in every radius which the captain wants. To get a little view on the maneuver abilitiys i made a short Video of my harbour tug

Technical Datas

Two propellers in Voith Schneider style powered by twoPF-M motors with a gear ratio of 1:1.4

Two Pf-M to adjust the pitch of the propellers. The pitch controls the direction of boost.

Two receivers and transmitters

One 8878 LiPo accu

Dimensions

width: 280mm

length: 600mm

height: 360mm

weight: 2790grams

The Deckhouse and the Bridge is built modular to get a easy access to the electric parts

6981578641_6014ae319c.jpg

the two dishes are used to show the driver in which position the pitch of the propellers is.

6981578501_0bb09363d9.jpg

on the afterdeck i have added a nonworking winch for the tow line

6981577947_e3df4cc6fb.jpg

The stabilizer sword and two of the airtanks which are adjusting the waterline of the vessel.

6835452724_6beee95e90.jpg

more pictures on flickr and Brickshelf

If you want to take a look on the building process, please click here

Thanks for reading

Whan an awesome entry! It's functional, it looks the part and it's also incredibly cute - in a very Technic-y way, of course.

By the way, have you tested the "open water" RC reception range yet?

thanks, with this cold water i dont want make an open water test, too much interferences by the sunlight.

Great MOC effe. Knew I shouldn't have tried my hand at this one. :wacko: Excellent!