Brickmaestro

The Wyrm-riders

"It was when the waters that once covered our land were divided and the dry land appeared that the wyrms came. They were terrible beasts, many of them could swallow an entire caravan in one gaping mouthful. But soon, our Fathers began to understand the way of the wyrms, could identify their movements and signs. The people became less fearful - even the bravest nomads would travel the sands with their flocks and could lead them to safety on the rocks before a wyrm attacked. When our noble father Tish'rok dared to tame them, many of the community laughed him to scorn. But he was undaunted in his determination to conquer the creatures and saw a future when the wyrms could be used to cultivate the lands. On a bright, hot morning, he set out with his companions to an area known to be common to wyrm travel. He waited patiently with his blade and chain, supposing that he could wedge his blade between the hard scales of the wyrm and fashion a harness to ride it. Soon they felt the tell-tale rumble of a wyrm coming to the surface. Suddenly the wyrm burst forth from beneath a dune Tish'rok's companions were perched on, sending is father tumbling down the other side of the dune. In a single movement, Tish'rok bounded off the dune, scrambling up the mountain of sand cascading down from the wyrm. He even managed to wedge his blade into the beast, quickly wrapping his chain around it. With the blade embedded in it's back, the wyrm picked up speed and began to turn violently. Tish'rok tried to hang on, but, well. . . you know the rest of the story:

pic_019-small.jpg

pic_016-small.jpg

Excellent Dune-inspired MOC! The sandwork around the wyrm with all the different angled slopes is really good.

I don't even dare to imagine how huge the entire wyrm can be!

Muad`Dib!

Very nice, I have been planning something like this too, but I think you did it much better than I would have! Lovely expression on the riders` face.

:classic:

Wow very cool. Maybe you could use it in the third challenge? That the shrine of the crystal of Kaliphlin is inside the biggest (chief?) Wyrm or something? Just thinking out loud. Great MOC!

Wow very cool. Maybe you could use it in the third challenge? That the shrine of the crystal of Kaliphlin is inside the biggest (chief?) Wyrm or something? Just thinking out loud. Great MOC!

Thanks for blowing my cover (just kidding) - that's actually exactly what I was planning to do for Challenge 3, although the giant wyrm will look quite a bit different from this one. I was hoping to make a big surprise with it, but no matter - everybody has great ideas.

Awesome! Great wyrm and really nice landscaping. And I know how tedious making those sand dunes is.

Thanks for blowing my cover (just kidding) - that's actually exactly what I was planning to do for Challenge 3, although the giant wyrm will look quite a bit different from this one. I was hoping to make a big surprise with it, but no matter - everybody has great ideas.

Oh I'm sorry man! Haha, well if anyone tries to copy it, everybody will know it's your design.

It is a very original and cool idea, so looking forward to see it fully build.

Ok so is the one in this myth just a baby? *huh*

Cool myth and great idea for C3 very different, would never have thought of that :thumbup:

Ok so is the one in this myth just a baby? *huh*

Cool myth and great idea for C3 very different, would never have thought of that :thumbup:

Yes - the wyrm in this myth is a young one - the "giant" guardian wyrm for Challenge 3 will be larger and different. Thanks for the compliments - I'm still just coming back from the dark ages and trying to find my own LEGO "voice".

Woho! I have some nostalgic flashbacks to Dune!! :tongue: Great moc! The sand that lies on the wyrms body is superb! Good work on this one!

Woho! I have some nostalgic flashbacks to Dune!! :tongue:

Me too, great game! :tongue: Great job on the "wyrm" and with that landscape it's very Kaliphlin! :thumbup: The minifig action is also well done!

Very cool! I had thought about Sand Wyrms in the desert, and just seemed to avoid due to not feeling that I would it do it justice. Glad to see that you "tackled" this project. The idea for C3 sounds very unique and that alone will make your build stand out.....Now go win this one for Kaliphlin!

Those Wyrm-riders tales are my favourite to hear in the dark evenings!

I love the expression of Tish'rok, it made me laugh :laugh:

Also really nice structure of combining the brown and grey from the Wyrm with the tan of the sand! It makes the total picture having a smooth look :thumbup:

Wow - I just finished re-reading Dune and then saw this (new to eurobricks). You're scene is really neat, although I always imagined the worms to be a lot bigger. It's still really clever building style.

But, but... i don't know how the story ends! :oh3: And you've left it on a cliffhanger (or wormhanger, ho ho) too! :oh: But i'm guessing that poor Tish'rok ended up squished anyway - such a foolhardy feat, wormsurfing... :wink:

Great build, the worm bursting through the earth is rendered very well, and your figure placement is spot on. You might want to consider smoothing out your landscaping a bit though - increasing the hieght in steps of plates rather than bricks helps a lot with this.

If this is a test run for your quest moc, then it's a great start! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the challenge - sounds like it's going to be a hell of a gaurdian! :thumbup:

Edited by gabe

I love this build! The wyrm idea is brilliant, and you've done a great job of conveying it here. I really like the Wyrm erupting out of the sand. Excellent MOC!

(I was considering throwing a myth together on the last day, but I just clicked on one to get an idea what was being built, and it happened to be yours. I thought to myself "never mind, I can come up with a myth, but not that caliber of build." Upon seeing more of the builds, I was definitely right.)