Sign in to follow this  
Steinkopf

MOC: Tm 3/3

Hello Everyone

Here are some photos of a shunter that I have built for my LBB, I recently did a slight redesign of the short nose section as I was not happy with the original approach I took when building her. The design is a Freelance build and captures a lot of elements typically found in these small locomotives, I was inspired by a number of designs including the OBB 1067 Class http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/at/diesel/shunter/2067/red-white/083-111/2067-096-mt.jpg , BOB Tm 2/2 http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/narrow_gauge/BOB-group/BOB/locomotive/BOB1io2.jpg , and the RhB Gm 3/3 http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/narrow_gauge/RhB/diesel/Gm3_3/RHB-GM3-3-231.jpg, Tm 2/2 http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/narrow_gauge/RhB/diesel/Tm2_2/111-120/RhB_112.jpg classes. I wanted to make a compact little locomotive that could be used anywhere from station pilot duties to shunting freight yards, industrial and harbour lines, the locomotive is similar in size to a 4 wheel freight wagon.

Here is the backstory about the locomotive.

The LBB purchased a total of 5 Tm 3/3 Shunters between 1968 till 1974 and they are the smallest locomotives in the LBB fleet, they have a rating of 250hp and a top speed of 40km/h. These small but handy locos can be found at a variety of locations on the LBB network shunting trains in freight yards or industrial sidings.

6797296136_0494bbf64f_z.jpg

6797291276_5850d0d00c_z.jpg

6943409819_017d9a2d49_z.jpg

Seen here with a G6 Ventilated Van for a size comparison.

6943449831_84a7df847b_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Very nice shunter 'Steinkopf'. I like the curves of this little engine and the extra set of wheels work very well with this MOC. Keep up the fantastic engines default_classic.gif

AWESOME little shunter 'Steinkopf', you are proving to be a wiz at train designing eh ? :wink:

Keep them coming and Brick On ! :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger

It looks fantastic! One quick question though is how does the three bogie wheel system handle curves, points, etc?

It looks fantastic! One quick question though is how does the three bogie wheel system handle curves, points, etc?

If you look closely at the second picture you can see a pivot point between the motor and the third wheel

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

The front wheelset is articulated and has got a very good range of traverse, the loco is able to negotiate points, curves and reverse curves with ease traveling in forward and reverse, the loco is able to do this when running light or with rolling stock coupled to it. When I build my trains I always set up a test track with points and reverse curves to test out how they run as a chassis first and as a complete loco later on at a wide range of speeds, I test them running on their own as well as pulling and pushing rolling stock in both direction to ensure that there are no issues with how the locomotive performs. Here are some photos to show you the setup, the design is about 4 years old now and has worked perfectly it is quite simple to build yet it is very effective in operation.

6975727353_d1bf7288ce_z.jpg

6975725603_bfd6ed45a4_z.jpg

6975723755_b816ffbb2a_z.jpg

6829597338_e4ba6d9f31_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Indeed, thanks for sharing. The three-wheeled bogie looks great, and obviously it also works that way. A really top solution for any compact shunter, bravo!