Found that some custom tires can be fitted well at lego discs and are able to use in mocs:

First is pure lego wheel from RC set "red beast" from early 20xx. It has very good grip, but it is hard, heavy and low-profile.

7E27C81C-6DFA-4CB2-B5D1-5F973BBE2E83.JPG

You have to work if you want to detach tire from original disc. Construction of original wheel consist of:

86BC684B-2CCD-4D3B-A615-5AEADF20BF04.JPG

This is second one (right on photo). Tire is from non lego RC toy with brand "new bright". It is soft like unimogs tire, and non-baloon, but light and had good mud terrain protector:) do not tested it yet.

3891E609-6366-4E48-9240-6CBCF2D289ED.JPG

BBD92A26-83C8-4961-87C4-9D418AF0DA4D.JPG

Comparing with 8297 baloon wheel:

5D4C8836-4868-41B3-A1F4-98215F013C53.JPG

D8A90B58-29E2-4132-B420-4C12F3261230.JPG

Don't be afraid of using custom wheels:) it just piece of rubber between your moc and ground. Dont think it is a big problem, if you are purist;)

What do you think about it? Write your experience.

Edited by rm8

I'm not a Lego purist, and I love the thought of using non-Lego tires. Even though TLG is THE LARGEST TIRE MAKER in the world (by volume), it does not have a great selection of large tire sizes. One can go to a local RC shop and find lots of combinations that will fit Lego wheel rims. Bravo!

Philo (Phillippe Hurbain) has this Lego "Wheels, Tyres and Traction" comparison to show the various "grip" levels of each Lego tire. Commercial, off-the-shelf RC tires would do better on most surfaces.

Great topic! Thank you for the info!

I'll keep an eye here for any good findings on replacement tyres.

My biggest concern about using non-LEGO produced tyres would be the price. I'm ok with the price of most tyres ordered trough Bricklink.

Not sure how much would tyres cost at a Hobby Shop for example? Any info about that please?

@ le60head: Here is an example of "Rock Crawler" tires sold by the pair: http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_26_869/n/RC-Cars-Trucks-Off-Road-Tires-Wheels-Rock-Crawler-Tires-Foams . The foam inserts prevent the tires from collapsing under the weight of the truck. I bet that some Lego Technic AFOLs try them on the upcoming (2H2012) 9398 4x4 Crawler (with its smallish tires).

rock-crawler-lego1.jpg?w=580

- Derfel Cadarn - posted this picture on his Flickr photostream, and wrote:

"Oh Yes! They fit!!"

"I took the wheels off an old Tamiya RC Monster Beetle I had lying around. To my surprise, they have the same size axel hole is Lego wheels and the Technic axel fits like a glove. To top it off, a 8x8 dish fits perfectly on the front of the wheel and hides the gold rims. It amazing how perfect everything fits, its like they were built for Lego.

"These are gonna look sweet on a huge space vehicle, or any other large vehicle for that matter. Now I gotta go and order some 8x8 dish plates in various colours!"

6981570870_5b1e0eab66_c.jpg

I think that tire is too heavy and big for lego plastic axle to roll it by pf motor even with reduction. So they are usable only for not motorized models. But looks great!

P.s. May be, steel axles with rubber belt main gear - is only way to "motorize" that wheel.