Rufus

Architecture Month: Building Contest

Hello Rufus,

I am the one who has created the Lego Chrysler Building entry.

I have noticed that an old image appears in the index.

Since I have created new ones a couple of days ago, could you please change it by using one of the new ones, which I find quite better and appealing.

Thank you a lot.

Sess

Since I have created new ones a couple of days ago, could you please change it by using one of the new ones, which I find quite better and appealing.

You're all so demanding! :hmpf:

:laugh:

Done :wink:

This is epic. Can't wait to know who the winners are!

I hope it's the guy who did that world trade center.

This is epic. Can't wait to know who the winners are!

I hope it's the guy who did that world trade center.

You could always vote. :hmpf_bad:

I've moved your post out of the voting thread.

Rufus, thank you for hosting the Architecture Building Contest in our forum! It was an outstanding job and I will like to point out that this particular map image which you have done to showcase the approximate location of the iconic landmarks is very useful. I am also very pleased to see so many stunning entries and to see many of our members truly appreciate the scale and the design process of putting their Architecture landmarks across to our community.

gallery_6705_159_33092.jpg

Thank you administration for the good contest! :thumbup:

It is so sad that I can't vote.

Good luck to all and especially to my favourites! :sweet:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, The Great Pyramid of Giza was in Egypt and I see that the map is empty there. Did aliens took it away? That would be horrible!!! default_cry4.gifdefault_cry4.gifdefault_cry4.gif

Rufus, thank you for hosting the Architecture Building Contest in our forum! It was an outstanding job and I will like to point out that this particular map image which you have done to showcase the approximate location of the iconic landmarks is very useful. I am also very pleased to see so many stunning entries and to see many of our members truly appreciate the scale and the design process of putting their Architecture landmarks across to our community.

gallery_6705_159_33092.jpg

Forgive me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, The Great Pyramid of Giza was in Egypt and I see that the map is empty there. Did aliens took it away? That would be horrible!!!

That one was a late inclusion.

I hate to be a dobber, but are you sure that all entries are adhering to "No digital entries allowed"?

As sure as I can be. If you have specific concerns, PM me.

Can we have a central list of the entries by votes? I tried compiling one but it's taking too long...

If you mean a running total, no. Such things tend to influence later voting unfairly.

At the end of voting, there will be a detailed summary, however.

I hate to be a dobber, but are you sure that all entries are adhering to "No digital entries allowed"?

Rufus,

Are you saying my entry is not being counted or was it just late?

I wondered why the pyramids weren't in their place!!!

Rufus,

Are you saying my entry is not being counted or was it just late?

I wondered why the pyramids weren't in their place!!!

Your entry counts. I was just explaining why the pyramid wasn't on the map. It is now.

When does the voting period end?

A week after the voting period started.

A week after the voting period started.

Yes, but when exactly is this?

The voitng thread opened at 11:21 PM (GMT?)

and says "This voting thread will remain open for approximately one week"

Edited by Theo

Voting will close at 1600 hrs GMT on 17 April 2012.

+++ OFFICIAL STATEMENT +++

Entry number 13 - Hagia Sophia by Artizan

This entry appears to be a high-quality digital render rather than a real LEGO build, and as such it breaks the rules of the contest. The entrant has been given fair chance to prove otherwise, but appears unable and/or unwilling to do so.

Therefore, after much deliberation, it has been decided that this entry will not be eligible for prizes, nor will it count in the final vote tally.

It is too late, and would be too complicated, to ask members to change their votes now (though they may do so if they wish until the voting thread closes). Votes for entry number 13 will be ignored.

We are disappointed that these events might seem to detract from an otherwise extremely high quality contest, and I personally would like to apologise to the other contestants that this rule infraction was not caught before voting commenced. Above all, Eurobricks will not tolerate dishonesty in any of its contests, and this outcome seems to be the fairest solution for all the other entrants.

Rufus

Thanks Rufus, this news is a great relief to me. I don't feel you needed to apologise and am just sorry you were placed in such a difficult situation. You've run this contest magnificently and I enjoyed it immensely and I look forward to reading the results with no clouds hanging over them. Thanks especially for allowing recast votes today, that means a lot to me.

Quite separately... I had an idea should another one ever be run; dividing the contest into the two threads of Architect and Landmark series, much like category A & B of the CMF contest with separate prizes, would help the voting process I think. It's proved so hard to judge this contest, and the different 'criteria' between Landmark and Architect (smaller models of famous buildings vs. larger models of lesser known but architecturally notable buildings) added an extra complication for me when judging entries against one another.

Quite separately... I had an idea should another one ever be run; dividing the contest into the two threads of Architect and Landmark series, much like category A & B of the CMF contest with separate prizes, would help the voting process I think. It's proved so hard to judge this contest, and the different 'criteria' between Landmark and Architect (smaller models of famous buildings vs. larger models of lesser known but architecturally notable buildings) added an extra complication for me when judging entries against one another.

I second that. It was nice to see such variety but it makes it hard to judge default_sceptic.gif

We deliberated over this, but decided on this setup for two main reasons:

1. Having two categories would mean diluting the prize pool (especially with the sets kindly provided by TLG);
  2. The distinction between Landmark and Architect series is nominal only, and refers more to the type of building rather than the model. You could have a 2,000 piece MOC of a famous landmark in Landmark Series and a 100 piece MOC of a less well-known building by a renowned architect in Architect Series, making the distinction rather meaningless.

Still, were we to run a similar contest in future, we'd definitely consider it.

The distinction between Landmark and Architect series is nominal only, and refers more to the type of building rather than the model. You could have a 2,000 piece MOC of a famous landmark in Landmark Series and a 100 piece MOC of a less well-known building by a renowned architect in Architect Series, making the distinction rather meaningless.

That's true, it would require the admins to interpret the distinction and expect everyone to abide by their interpretation... best avoided!

Can't wait to see the results!!

The distinction between Landmark and Architect series is nominal only, and refers more to the type of building rather than the model. You could have a 2,000 piece MOC of a famous landmark in Landmark Series and a 100 piece MOC of a less well-known building by a renowned architect in Architect Series, making the distinction rather meaningless.

That's true but I think that TLG's Architecture sets have bigger size than the Landmark ones. So you may want to consider just putting a size limit.

I agree the line between Landmark and Architect Series is too blurry for separate contest categories - even blurrier when you look at the Burj Khalifa, as the box art and official website can't even seem to agree which series it is. :wacko: Or the Sydney Opera House - it's listed as Architect Series, and there's no denying Jørn Utzon's prestige, but then again the building has become the definitive landmark of an entire continent. It also can't be chalked up to size - look at the Guggenheim vs. the White House. The closest thing we can have to a definitive distinction is asking whether the architect is more famous than the building or vice versa, which can be highly subjective.