Sign in to follow this  
De Sandman

WIP Pirate Brigantine

I've started the work on a brigantine, it will be a pirateship, here are some WIP pics (sorry for the bad quality)

06032012.jpg

060320121.jpg

060320122.jpg

060320123.jpg

C&C welcome

Thanx.....i like it that you like it because i was having doubts how this is turning out.

I'm going for real string rigging and cloth sails :pir-grin: , like the princess Nikki :pir-wub: , i only have one problem, because the Nikki is still in one piece i'm short of usubale masts :hmpf_bad: (other than you see on the ship now), it is going to be a challenge to make the masts stable, i don't have a clue yet, ideas????

The idea is to use the masts as you see in the picture but i don't have black 2x1 hinges anymore, but i like the challenge because it will succeed....i think :pir-hmpf: .

This looks great already! I love the curve of the ship's line. You could also try to add a little curve on the stern.

Regarding the masts: Why don't you add a lookout platform on the top of the lowest mast part and add the next mast section on this platform. This would be accurate and provide more stability.

This is starting to look really nice, the colour scheme is just so clean and pretty, your builds looking great too. Will there be an interior? If so I would love to see some pictures when its ready :thumbup:

She is indeed looking very nice! The suggestion for the masts by Sir Sven is the best, I think. The side-stairs are a nice detail too. I think the only thing you could improve right now is the bow, perhaps with the use of slopes instead of 1x2 bricks (?). IMO also the fore-castle stairs would look better centered, though that's quite irrelevant.

Keep working! pirate_blush.gif

Thanx for al the replies guys, it really inspires me.

Now i'm ready with the overall design and going to start on the mast design, but here are some new pics, hope you like them;

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Very nice, I like that lantern design, I might actually use that for my ship :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for all your nice replies.

It will not have an interiour, the inside is a mess, also i'm not an interiour builder.

For the masts, indeed they get platforms in the masts but it will be a challenge to make them stabel as i said before.

Very nice, I like that lantern design, I might actually use that for my ship :pir_laugh2:

It's a simple design, i didn't want to use the original lamps as found on the BSB because they are a bit to small, so i came up with these, off course you're free to use, i like it when i insire others as they inspire me :pir_laugh2:

The masts are pretty cool! I think however there is just a small problem up there. The upper yard should be smaller in relation to the others than yours. Also the mast does not end properly in the last yard, it should continue for a little more and only there will be the flag bar pirate_classic.gif

mast-of-frigate-thumb665265.jpg

This is becoming a nice vessel!

You've created a nice looking ship, I like the fact that you have a very own building style. :thumbup:

They look a lot like upgraded official ships with the high stern and colour schemes used.

I wouldn't classify this as a brig though, it looks more like a galleon in my opinion.

Another thing that is a bit off, is the bow. On older ships the bows were usually more flat going upwards.

If I may post a reference picture (this looks a bit like what you are making):

black_falcon_768.jpg

Do you use any reference pictures or books? I'm interested to see what kind of references you use for the model.

Or is it just your vision of a brig?

Í agree with the bow, i've added an extra fence at the front with slopes, i don't like it, it will be torn so the bow is more flat.

For reference i use this picture;

oc13600.jpg

I see. If you can make the cabin at the same level as the gundeck and lower the back a bit, I think it might look more like your reference.

Good luck!

I know what you mean, but when i lower the cabin i wouldn't know how to make the door to the cabin, it would mean lowering the deck but that would look strange, so i'm going for my own interpretation, what the heck, it's a fantasy ship :pir_laugh2:

Just a cool shot with the "Nikki" :wub_drool:

Also if you look close you can see the start of the rigging of the SERPENT (yes that's how she's going to be named...surpricingly...duh...sorry a bit sarcasm :head_back: ....)

But here's the pic...

000000.jpg