purpleparadox

Have you ever bought LEGO in "secret"?

:head_back::head_back::head_back:

This thread is soo funny, I am quite a lucky guy I think, In the first year of our releationship me and my special lady had a bit of a chat over all the stuff I like and it turned out I was 'collecting' to a fairly expensive level; LEGO, Warhammer, Board Games, Metal Britains Soldiers, replica rifles and Musical Instruments.

We decided together to drop the Warhammer, Britians, Rifles and Musical Instruments (I had like 5 guitars, 2 basses, 2 banjos and many others) Keep what was special to me and sell the rest.

She said she would be in charge of the Board Games cause she quite likes them and I had free reign on my LEGO.

I have never hidden any purchases from her and I do ocassionally come home with a LEGO box or a minifig sitting on the table waiting for me (which she brought) she even goes through mags and online for me (she picked me up the Forestmens hideout on ebay only last week for £11.03).

I don't miss any of the other stuff and I am really happy my lady supports me, now all I need to do is get her interested in a set or two for herself then we will be a lifelong Board Game and LEGO couple.

Heres hopeing

You sir, are one of the luckiest men alive. Good luck turning her into an AFOL! Someday I'm going to find a girl who supports my addiction! (And hopefully she'll also use LEGO too!)

Mostly just Collectible Minifigs because I am tired of the looks that say "You really need ANOTHER guardsman/Roman/whatever?" :sweet:

And they're so easy to hide default_satisfied.gif

And they're so easy to hide default_satisfied.gif

You're so right. You can fit, what, two? Three? Minifigs in one pocket of your jeans easy. Multiply that by 4 pockets and add shirt and jacket pockets, and you've got a lot of minifigs snuck into your house.

This thread is soo funny, I am quite a lucky guy I think, In the first year of our releationship me and my special lady had a bit of a chat over all the stuff I like and it turned out I was 'collecting' to a fairly expensive level; LEGO, Warhammer, Board Games, Metal Britains Soldiers, replica rifles and Musical Instruments.

please no, dont say your an ex warhammer player. :cry_sad: I stopped adding on to my 4,000+ point death korps of krieg imperial guard army (to the sadness of my friends who play) to buy more lego.

please no, dont say your an ex warhammer player. :cry_sad: I stopped adding on to my 4,000+ point death korps of krieg imperial guard army (to the sadness of my friends who play) to buy more lego.

Yeah I had a 2500 point Cadian, 2500 point Catachan,1000 point Steel Legion and a 1500 point Praetorian Army now all I have is the Praetorian's but I am very happy with that :sweet:

If I ever miss wargames I just have a crack at brickwars and its alot more fun, my fiancee has even played a couple of games

You sir, are one of the luckiest men alive. Good luck turning her into an AFOL! Someday I'm going to find a girl who supports my addiction! (And hopefully she'll also use LEGO too!)

Yeah I know :sweet: , I forgot to say that yesterday I came home to a Kingdoms castle (The big red one) sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me, she had got it for my birthday but its been a difficult couple of months with an ill family memebr and she wanted to cheer me up as I had been a little down.

Needless to say I was exstatic as I had assumed this one had passed me by (I had every other set but this one just dissapered too quickly for me to grab), its now sitting on the floor in our bedroom being assulted by a combined Black Falcon and Dragon Knight force.

Now she is asking what other sets I want for my birthday (shes gotta do the shopping all over again :laugh: ) I keep pointing to the LOTR sets (cough; Helms Deep, cough:) and I think she know, but if not theres always Draculas Castle from monster fights.

I always want something :grin:

You're so right. You can fit, what, two? Three? Minifigs in one pocket of your jeans easy. Multiply that by 4 pockets and add shirt and jacket pockets, and you've got a lot of minifigs snuck into your house.

And sometimes you forget they are in a pocket in your coat and you get to have a happy "discovery" a few days later. :laugh:

I have done this a lot. Not always to be sneaky, but mostly because my husband and I each have our own separate fun money funds. We see no need to get permission from each other on what to buy, most of the time. Though he does request that I stop buying huge unsorted lots because I have so much to sort already. For the most part I don't buy large lots anymore unless it is an amazing deal or if I know there are many parts I specifically want from it.

And sometimes you forget they are in a pocket in your coat and you get to have a happy "discovery" a few days later. :laugh:

I just went and checked all my pockets in the hopes of a "discovery". No luck, but I'll be off to the store later today to pick up some Lego!

I have done this a lot. Not always to be sneaky, but mostly because my husband and I each have our own separate fun money funds. We see no need to get permission from each other on what to buy, most of the time. Though he does request that I stop buying huge unsorted lots because I have so much to sort already. For the most part I don't buy large lots anymore unless it is an amazing deal or if I know there are many parts I specifically want from it.

That sounds pretty good, although I'd rather have a partner who shares the Lego hobby.

That sounds pretty good, although I'd rather have a partner who shares the Lego hobby.

Well we do share some hobbies. however it can be a curse because imaging having to double everything you spend on Lego? I like having separate hobbies as well as sharing some hobbies.

Yeah, several times...

"Oh, it's a new one !? Again !?"

"No, it's just an old Minifig I lost few monthes ago, and I've just found it back"

Have you ever bought LEGO in "secret"? For example, your parent or partner forbid you from buying more LEGO so you did it anyway without them knowing.

Not that I can recall.

Of course, I've been buying LEGO for a loooooooong time, so I may have forgotten something but, I really don't think so.

As a kid, my allowance was mine to do with as I pleased, so no 'parental flack' in that regard and as far as gf/wife forbidding me...umm...I'm an ADULT...nobody "forbids" me to do anything. An ex-gf used to give me crap for "wasting" my money on LEGO...note the "ex" part of that statement. :classic:

Now, not to say that my wife is "thrilled to death" with my hobby but, she knows that as far as 'vices' go, it's quite tame and I don't spend NEARLY as much on it as I could, so, she tends to keep her complaints to herself...which as few anyway, since she likes seeing what I create. :classic:

We decided together to drop the Warhammer, Britians, Rifles and Musical Instruments (I had like 5 guitars, 2 basses, 2 banjos and many others) Keep what was special to me and sell the rest.

She said she would be in charge of the Board Games cause she quite likes them and I had free reign on my LEGO.

I have never hidden any purchases from her and I do ocassionally come home with a LEGO box or a minifig sitting on the table waiting for me (which she brought) she even goes through mags and online for me (she picked me up the Forestmens hideout on ebay only last week for £11.03).

I don't miss any of the other stuff and I am really happy my lady supports me, now all I need to do is get her interested in a set or two for herself then we will be a lifelong Board Game and LEGO couple.

Heres hopeing

Two words: LEGO Games! *g*

I used to be a "multiple collection" guy, too...LEGO, comic books, Warhammer (and 40K), 12" action figures (GI Joe, Ultimate Soldier, Dragon...), movies, music, books, etc., etc...

It was getting out of hand.

Now, I limit myself to LEGO, books by only a small handful of authors, CDs by certain bands, certain genres of movies and that's pretty much it.

My wife has always been pretty supportive of my hobbies, though I do get the occasional "another one?!" but, it's fairly rare. :grin:

Edited by Ogre

I didn't come out of my dark ages until splitting from the wife, so I've never had to buy anything in secret, but I'm dreading the day I have to explain my hobby to a new gf. Hopefully I can find one that is at least tolerant of it.

My daughter on the other hand always asks "Did you buy more Lego" every week when I pick her up - the answer is normally 'Yes'

Two words: LEGO Games! *g*

:grin:

I got a few of them but they just aren't very good, they can't compare to a few hours playing Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galatica.

luckly to games are my ladies department, a couple of weeks ago she got a game called 'The Resistance' and its brilliant everyone we played with has now got themsleves a copy too.

I just focus on the Lego :laugh:

Edited by SirSven7

I got a few of them but they just aren't very good, they can't compare to a few hours playing Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galatica.

luckly to games are my ladies department, a couple of weeks ago she got a game called 'The Resistance' and its brilliant everyone we played with has now got themsleves a copy too.

I just focus on the Lego :laugh:

Maybe you could try Heroica, that seems like something that has more play value than some of the other games.

Maybe you could try Heroica, that seems like something that has more play value than some of the other games.

Yeah I got all four of them, there just very lightweight, i was excited for what they could have been but as a game they are lacking, it looks nicer than it plays :laugh:

I guess technically my answer is yes, although my situation is more of Me buying LEGO and when i get home taking it to my LEGO collection, and placing it where it belongs. Then not telling my wife.

It's not that important to her, if she would be home when I got home with LEGO she'd just say, "What did you get?"

So there is LEGO that my wife doesn't know about but she also doesn't really care.

Well, you ARE a "wife moderated LEGO nut" :laugh:

I can't be the only one around here. :classic:

You are most certainly not!!!

I've bought a few Star Wars battle packs before now, mainly the clone walker ones to build a huge army up without telling my wife. I think before I sold most of them I was on fourteen of that set alone and she never twigged! Not once did she notice how fast my clone army was growing! Due to our recent house move all of my mail now goes to mum's place so a few Bricklink orders have also been made on the sly :wink:

You are most certainly not!!!

I've bought a few Star Wars battle packs before now, mainly the clone walker ones to build a huge army up without telling my wife. I think before I sold most of them I was on fourteen of that set alone and she never twigged! Not once did she notice how fast my clone army was growing! Due to our recent house move all of my mail now goes to mum's place so a few Bricklink orders have also been made on the sly :wink:

Good thing your mom doesn't open those orders or I get the feeling you'd get a lecture!

Well we do share some hobbies. however it can be a curse because imaging having to double everything you spend on Lego?

Absolutely, it can be a bit of a curse. We have no moderation when we visit a LEGO store; no-one to rein either of us in, and so... we sometimes buy two or more versions of the same set - one each (naturally) and then another for, ahem, parts. :blush: And we have similar but different tastes in sets, so he gets what he wants, and I get what I want and... well, the staff in the LEGO stores smile broadly when they see us coming. :laugh:

As to buying LEGO in secret, that's usually for Christmas or birthday presents. I particularly remember a loooong walk to my car with an exceptionally heavy 10188 Death Star, that remained hidden in the boot of my car until I could wrap it for Christmas a few years back. :laugh:

Good thing your mom doesn't open those orders or I get the feeling you'd get a lecture!

She thinks it's funny! Six Star Wars figures arrived at hers from sunny California a couple days back, she wanted to make sure they'd remembered their passports!

Edited by charlieboy

She thinks it's funny! Six Star Wars figures arrived at hers from sunny California a couple days back, she wanted to make sure they'd remembered their passports!

You've got an awesome mom!

Edited by purpleparadox

Yeah, a few times.

Mainly the CMF.. But as I being unemployed and the GF not, and the boy in school for the days, I have plenty of time to go out to get some legos for me, me, me and ME :blush:

And also as I allready have several boxes of the CMFs in our living room shelves, it's very easy to drop a new case full of them in there :) (5 full 16 cmf sets fit in one case btw).

Yeah, I've been sneaky and have bought lego sets before under my wife's nose. She finds out though. It's easier just to have a democratic meeting with the mrs on it and hope for the best. Course she's been getting into building with me and she's been quoted as saying "We need more." I find myself lately saying "no we don't." We have a whole room dedicated to lego building. It's starting to get cramped. : /

I plan to marry an AFOL or not marry at all. Yeah, that's right, I am completely prioritizing LEGO over anything else (Actually no, programming comes first).

I wish large lots didn't exist. You think you are making an amazing deal, but all the time and space that they will take from you make them so not worth it. Yet whenever you see a lot that seems to be full of pieces you are interested in and it seems cheap, you end up buying it anyway.

Edited by vexorian

I plan to marry an AFOL or not marry at all. Yeah, that's right, I am completely prioritizing LEGO over anything else (Actually no, programming comes first).

I wish large lots didn't exist. You think you are making an amazing deal, but all the time and space that they will take from you make them so not worth it. Yet whenever you see a lot that seems to be full of pieces you are interested in and it seems cheap, you end up buying it anyway.

Someday, far in the future when I get married, it will be to a woman who has the Lego hobby. Even if I have to convert her to a Lego-lover! (Though I'd prefer if she were already into it.)