CopMike

Hayabusa, the second LEGO® CUUSOO release

BILLUND, Denmark – The Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa, the second LEGO® CUUSOO release, has gone on sale in Japan, while a limited number of Hayabusa sets will also be available exclusively online via shop.LEGO.com later in the year. No release date has been set yet.

The original Hayabusa model on LEGO CUUSOO was built by Daisuke Okubo and achieved 1,000 supporters on the Japanese-only version of LEGO CUUSOO in the spring of 2011. LEGO model designer Melody Louise Caddick designed the final model, refining earlier concept models based on Daisuke’s original project.

LEGO CUUSOO is a website where LEGO fans can submit their ideas for new LEGO products and collect votes to make their ideas become a reality. They can also vote for other users’ ideas. It can be found at http://lego.cuusoo.com

LEGO CUUSOO began in 2008 with a Japanese site that attracted hundreds of ideas and saw thousands of votes cast by a 35,000-strong community. It was launched globally in October.

The first Japanese product, the Shinkai 6500 submersible, went on sale in Japan in February 2011. A project backed by Minecraft developer Mojang became the first user-sponsored project to be approved on the global version of LEGO CUUSOO.

Ideas supported by 10,000 votes are examined by a LEGO jury to check the models meet LEGO standards of safety and playability and support the LEGO brand. Consumers who have their ideas chosen for production will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product.

Hayabusa (“falcon” in English) is an unmanned spacecraft built by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), designed to travel to a small near-Earth asteroid named Itokawa and return sample material to Earth. Hayabusa’s mission began in 2003 and ended successfully in 2010.

The price will be $49 / €49.

gallery_148_37_124726.jpggallery_148_37_19650.jpg

Looks cool, I might have to get it. I wish the supports were clear though.., I see a minifigure on the box, anyone know who that's supposed to be?

This creation only needed 1,000 Japanese Lego Cuusoo votes to become reality -- how come TLG raised the threshhold to 10,000 VOTES for all subsequent Cuusoo nominees? It's hard to get 10,000 votes, even for a cool item like the Modular Western Town (which seems stuck at ~4,854 votes, even after it was "Frontpaged" on Eurobricks)....

thumb640x360.jpg

Cool! Just wondering, would it fit in with minifigs well, or is it completely out of scale? There's a minifig on the box, so I don't know...

I see a minifigure on the box, anyone know who that's supposed to be?

Mabye the founder/CEO of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (the guys who made the Hayabusa)?

This is a great breakthrough for MOC'ers, that figure looks like some kind of technician, congratulations to the OG builder

This creation only needed 1,000 Japanese Lego Cuusoo votes to become reality -- how come TLG raised the threshhold to 10,000 VOTES for all subsequent Cuusoo nominees? It's hard to get 10,000 votes, even for a cool item like the Modular Western Town (which seems stuck at ~4,854 votes, even after it was "Frontpaged" on Eurobricks)....

Models only needed 1000 when it was only in Japan. Now that CUUSOO is worldwide, it is 10,000. We are actully lucky they didn't make it 25,000 or more, since it is worldwide.

As for the Modular Western Town, it is really sad, IMO, that Minecraft made it in less then a day. And this couldn't make it in a month. How many Minecraft users voted for it and will never buy it, or a Lego set for that matter.

Jamie

thumb640x360.jpg

In my opinion, this set will never make it (even if it gets the 25,000 votes). Though I would love to see a set like this, let be realistic. The Hayabusa set has 369 pieces, no minifigs and is selling for U$S 49.- so, how much would the wester town set cost (I don't know exactly how many pieces it has, but I guess thoudands and quite a lot of minifigs)??? It would need to cost around U$S 400.- (the least)which is much more than most AFOLS would be willing to pay for a single set. I myself, though I love it, would not be able to afford it. I fI were the designer, I would have another strategy. Divide the set in smaller sets and post those on Cuusoo. Then try to get 25,000 votes on each model... Just my 2 cents.

I fI were the designer, I would have another strategy. Divide the set in smaller sets and post those on Cuusoo. Then try to get 25,000 votes on each model... Just my 2 cents.

If you looked at the entry, you'll realize that's exactly what the designer plans to do. :wink: It would just be pointless to have different entries for each.

This is fairly nice, but not my cup of tea at this price, nor does it really interest me as a minifig-scale type of person.

The Hayabusa set has 369 pieces, no minifigs and is selling for U$S 49.-...

Your point is still the same, but there is a minifig in the Hayabusa set.

I see a minifigure on the box, anyone know who that's supposed to be?

This article says:

One detail that is included with the model was crucial to the Hayabusa mission's success. Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) project manager Junichiro Kawaguchi is included with the toy as a LEGO Minifigure.

Clad in a blue pinstripe suit and yellow tie, the miniature Kawaguchi features two faces: an everything-is-going-well-with-the-mission happy face, as well as a more disturbed look for the high-tension moments that came during Hayabusa's mission.

In my opinion, this set will never make it (even if it gets the 25,000 votes). Though I would love to see a set like this, let be realistic. The Hayabusa set has 369 pieces, no minifigs and is selling for U$S 49.- so, how much would the wester town set cost (I don't know exactly how many pieces it has, but I guess thoudands and quite a lot of minifigs)??? It would need to cost around U$S 400.- (the least)which is much more than most AFOLS would be willing to pay for a single set. I myself, though I love it, would not be able to afford it. I fI were the designer, I would have another strategy. Divide the set in smaller sets and post those on Cuusoo. Then try to get 25,000 votes on each model... Just my 2 cents.

Of course, since LEGO doesn't directly take the design and use it, they have a lot of options to make it more affordable. They could break the town up into sections, remove some of the figs, reduce the parts needed for some areas by either simplifying the design or replacing the parts (2 1x4 tiles could be replaced by 1 2x4, etc), and several other options. If they did release it, I'm sure it wouldn't be quite as expensive as the original (Or at least in smaller less expensive chunks).

</slightlyoffmaintopic>

I wish the supports were clear though...

The column of 2x2 cylinder bricks is part of the real Hayabusa's sample capturing device. That is why it is featured prominently on the box. Hayabusa didn't actually land on and take off from Ittokawa because that would introduce a lot of complicated design variables. Instead, it "touches" the surface with this device to collect samples before moving away.

Technic parts are used for the secondary support because they are a lot stronger than bricks. It has to support a lot of weight on a small area without falling apart every time you moved the model. From certain viewing angles, you won't see the secondary support.

The Western Town will never make it past review phase, even if it had a million votes. It would probably cost $500 or $1000 per set.

If the western town gets to 10k, only one of the buildings would be made, not all of them.

Plus the TLG designers would work to refine the design and make it into something that could actually be sold.

The Western Town will never make it past review phase, even if it had a million votes. It would probably cost $500 or $1000 per set.

:hmpf: Look at the current modular buildings and back at each building in the western town.

While big, you can't expect EB alone to accumulate the necessary votes necessary to bring the set to life. It would need to be front paged on nearly every major Lego site to bring in these numbers. (maybe that was done) Also, while i can appreciate the detail and complexity of the Western town, that theme isn't going to interest everyone. I bought one modular building years ago (café corner), and haven't bought another since. Just didn't interest me like I thought it might. I imagine that's whats keeping the votes down.

The Hayabusa is nice, but I'm not sure its $50 nice. I can appreciate what its designed after as well as the details, but the price just seems a bit high for what your getting.

Edited by 5150 Lego

Just seems farrrr too much money for getting something so little.

Take the recent most Tie fighter. You get 413 pieces, 4 minifigs, a Tie fighter, and it is a themed license, for £50. And this is often looked on as being too costly.

With this Hayabusa?

Something which half the population has probably never heard of or seen, something which has no form of playability, no real features, doesn't do anything, only 369 pieces and 1 minifig no one can relate to... It looks 'nice' and all for a 'cheap' price of £/$50...

The best thing about this set? The solar panels are (I assume) printed, and there is a nice shiney gold radar dish piece...

This is all just my opinion though :tongue:

I'll be getting this set if I can.

I love Lego space-themed sets that are based on real space related objects and I wish there were more of them aimed at AFOL's.

I'm guessing you didn't read the page...it would be the full town. Where did you get they need 25K votes? I was under the impression it was 10K... Also, I suppose you've never heard of 10188 or 10221...

Did you even look at the comments for this entry? I'm guessing no since it says that just one would be chosen. Also, in the Historic section there's a thread to choose which one should be made. Head over there and make your vote.

This article says:

That actually won me over. At first I wasn't that excited about the set as I personally felt it was kind of a boring model and not very interesting of a build. However, in light of that personal touch of having a minifigure of the actual project manager I have to reconsider and I feel it is more interesting to me. I know it seems kind of stupid that it would make a difference to me, but somehow it does.

Edited by sharky

This article says:

Nice find, here´s a close up:

003.jpeg?w=490&h=324

Junichiro Kawaguchi

Models only needed 1000 when it was only in Japan. Now that CUUSOO is worldwide, it is 10,000. We are actully lucky they didn't make it 25,000 or more, since it is worldwide.

As for the Modular Western Town, it is really sad, IMO, that Minecraft made it in less then a day. And this couldn't make it in a month. How many Minecraft users voted for it and will never buy it, or a Lego set for that matter.

Jamie

And let´s discuss that in this thread please :hmpf_bad:!