kabel

Mitgardian Democracy

Ecclesiastes asked me to build something bigger using my red plate technique, so I did ...

Right in the very Center of Mitgardia's mighty city of Valhol sits the old Thinghall, one of the earliest stonebuildings in Mitgardia. It was built so that tribe matters could be discussed inside. However, the wisdom of the founding fathers had it that the Thinghall was not to have any doors, so that discussions wouldn't last for too long. Sometimes cold and strong winds blow through the old walls, making sessions quick and effective:

sscn0693.jpg

Whereas all the other people of Historica still obey to their respective dictatorial leaders, Mitgardians have a Parliament (Thing) to discuss the things that concern everybody. Sometimes though, MPs of the northern regions, due to an infusion of Beserk blood, loose their temper and start taking things in their own hands:

sscn0699.jpg

Guards are always on a standby though, so that the Thing sessions remain, if not peacefull, at least without bloodshed:

sscn0700.jpg

As most of the MPs are traders who have become fairly rich in recent years, several have started to build new, rather representative houses around the Thinghall.

sscn0697.jpg

Other Senators are doing the same, I mean have their workers doing the same:

sscn0694.jpg

Yet, the old pub remains an offense to all the dignified Senators, as it attrackts a crowd made up of construction workers and sailors who seem not to know how to behave in puplic:

sscn0692.jpg

overall shot of the moc:

sscn0688.jpg

More pics on Brickshelf when public

Edited by kabel

Really nicely done. I totally felt like I was back in Scandinavia! You did a very good job subtly varying the colors, especially the reds and oranges.

Good job Kabel. I am really in love with that brick work, looks so realistic! The town hall is also nicely mottled, keep it up. :thumbup:

Wonderful job kabel! Not only are these your best work so far, but they are some of the best looking late medieval buildings I've seen yet! I love the style, looks perfect for Valholl! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I like your idea for a Parliament, you guys want to hold elections for Prime Minister? :wink:

thanks guys, it seems that I too improve by the moc during this whole GOH festival, as I would like to call it. I'm having a lot of fun and sure am not ready building up Mitgardia.

@NM: yeah, Scandinavia is part of this, but the main inspiration for this comes from old Hanseatic cities such as Brugge, Wismar, Rostock, Stralsund as well as Gdansk all situated on the southern shores of the Baltic and the North Sea. I've actually wanted to MOC them for quite a while, but never knew how to translate their Brick-Gothic style into LEGO. I guess I found a solution though :thumbup:

@AtG: dude, it's the official Parliament of Mitgardia, not just a townhall! :laugh: BTW, this is only a small part of it, about a third I guess. I ran out of bricks, so I kept it open.

@SOT: Mitgardia will of course always remain a constitutional monarchy. However, a PM would be a great idea. I think we ought to have an election!

Very interesting to see such political tendencies to grow in snowy Mitgardia.

Really liked the patterns on the houses. Great brick-like work. Also, the amount of detailing on this houses is awesome! Great facades!

Really nice MOC!

Great use of the 1x2 plates as bricks!

Also very nice done how you did the construction of the site!

and as NM said, you definetely see the Scandinavian influence :classic:

Great work Kabel, loving the brickwork, I like the variation on the ground and the busy look of the place. The stained glass windows are good and that guy throwing up is funny looks like he passed out in the last photo :laugh:

@DM: yeah, I guess I have to buy more of these 1x2s so I can finally do the cathedrals of the Hanseatic realm, I'll see. I'm glad you like the construction site. I tried to make it as realistic as possible, checking out the guidellon website regularly actually inspired this

@Jareth: I was actually really annoyed by diagonal walls always ending up with an uneven number of studs, whereas most doors, arches, windows etc only allow for even numbers, so I came up with this

@CM: you know how sailors are, once they get their money there is no holding them back. The funny thing is that the last picture actually was not done this way on purpose. However, I liked it so much that I kept it. I guess a bucket of water would actually make spinning around ...

Great job kabel!

The interior is nice and I love the minifig action! But the buildings impress me the most. The ornamentation is great and how you did the roof off the house on the corner is very well executed! :classic:

Great MOC! I really like seeing a lot of activity in builds, and you've done a great job with it here. The forum is a great idea, we haven't seen much for politics yet in GoH. I like your buildings, and the way they have the modularity of the city sets. I also like your use of the 1x2 plates, but I can't imagine how much time it would take. And the disassembling will be the worst part of it - I don't envy you there :tongue: . I do really like the look of it though. Great job!