Sign in to follow this  
Scubacarrot

Heroica RPG - Quest #23: Guarding the Guards

Decided to just move it along, since I bet Cronk would attack the only one not targeted, Swordsman B.

Results of Round 13 of the Wolfgang Battle.

Cronk vs. Swordman B - Critical Hit

Nyx vs. Swordsman A - Hit

Atramor vs. Swordsman A Crossbowman A- Shield Mug

Spider vs. Crossbowman A - Shield Poison Fang

Rufindel vs. Halberdeer - Damage

The party quickly recuperates and attacks again, Cronk, Nyx, and Atramor move in side by side, Cronk and Nyx bashing on both Swordsmen, Cronk with his sword, Nyx with her Dawnstar. Both Swordsmen fall over. Atramor, seeing his original target fall, makes a sudden move towards the Crossbowman, who does not expect him, which gives the rogue the opportunity to deal 37 damage with his slashing blade, and he also takes a pouch containing 37 gold in the process. The spider quickly follows up Atramor's attack, and deals 10 damage to the Crossbowman by sinking his venomous fangs in the Crossbowman's arm, and poisoning him. Rufindel furiously battles with the Halberdeer, but unfortunately the halberd proves a more effective weapon than the staff, and Rufindel takes 4 damage. The Crossbowman takes 1 damage from the poison.

Enemies:

Wolfgang Crossbowman A
*Poisoned*

Type: Humanoid

Level: 7

Health: 12/65

Special:
Precision Shot
- deals 7 damage, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: 10 gold

Wolfgang Halberdeer

Level: 6

Health: 50/79

Special:
Swipe
: Deals 5 damage to all heroes, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: nothing

Party

6882536309_34131623d7_t.jpg

Cronk (played by Corneliusmurdock)

Level 17.5 Paladin

Power: 29

SP:

Health:
37/37

Ether:
10/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Bane (WP:12, Light), Healing Staff (WP:5 Healing effect), Sword of Bashing (WP:5), Bloody Pointy Stick (WP:1), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP:7), Elaborate Helmet (SP:2), Heavy Crossbow(WP:8, Knockback), Potion x2, Holy Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Paralyzing Venom, Bone

6021867482_37ed63cbf4_t.jpg

Nyx (played by Pandora)
Party Leader

Level 16.5 Battle Mage

Power:

SP:
-

Health:
26/26

Ether:
5/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures(WP:12, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero, only one creature can be out, summoning it costs 1 ether.), Dawnstar II (WP:9), Longsword (WP:6), Sandman's Parasol (grants immunity to sleep), Helmet(+1 health), Ruby(Fire), Amethyst(Darkness), Topaz(Lightning), Sapphire(Wind), Emerald(Wood), Potion x1, Remedy, Tonic x2, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x5

6046036799_13ec297413_t_d.jpg

Atramor Gibbin (played by CallMePieOrDie)

Level 16 Rogue

Power:

SP:

Health:
23/23

Ether:
-

Gold:

Inventory:
Leachfeather (WP:7 Fire, Wind, restores 2 health on hit), Shiv(WP: 4, can be used as both a melee and a throwing weapon.)Cloak of the Elven Spy(Allows wearer to see an NPC's stats from afar), Sand Worm Hide(SP:2), Bone x2, Nutritious Banana, Venom

5909786980_7e1e6811fb_t.jpg

Rufindel Galadhras (played by Rufus)

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power:

SP:

Health:
16/20

Ether:
8/16

Gold:

Inventory:
Malfunctioning Staff(WP:12
on successful roll, has 50% chance to do half of WP damage to self instead(ignoring row and SP),
Warlord's Helmet( SP:2 grants 'Natural Respite', Fauxthril Staff(WP:7)
Potion x2, Remedy x1, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Venom

6899774894_f2e2331e0b_m.jpg

Summoned Spider
controlled by Pandora.

Level 5 Minion

Health:
25/25

Critical hit = 2x level, Shield roll = 2x level, plus poison effect.

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Edited by Scubacarrot

I'll bash the Halbardeer again, from the front row.

Since the party is in no danger whatsoever, moving the battle along, with what I think is the most sensible strategy.

Results of Round 14 of the Wolfgang Battle.

Cronk vs. Crossbowman A - Special Damage

Nyx vs. Crossbowman A - Damage

Atramor vs. Crossbowman A- Critical Hit

Spider vs. Crossbowman A Halberdeer- Hit

Rufindel vs. Halberdeer - Miss

Aiming to finish the last two enemies off, the party attacks, full force. The Crossbowman takes desperate measures, and fires off two bolts at once, one hitting Nyx for 7 damage, the other Cronk, also for 7 damage. But, while he is trying to reload, Atramor comes in, and slits his throat with his dagger, naturally taking him out. The Spider bites in the foot of the Halberdeer, dealing 5 damage, but Rufindel misses his attack.

Enemies:

Wolfgang Halberdeer

Level: 6

Health: 45/79

Special:
Swipe
: Deals 5 damage to all heroes, regardless of Row or SP

Drops: nothing

Party

Level 17.5 Paladin

Power: 29

SP:

Health:
30/37

Ether:
10/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Bane (WP:12, Light), Healing Staff (WP:5 Healing effect), Sword of Bashing (WP:5), Bloody Pointy Stick (WP:1), Ennoc's Blessing (Shield, SP:7), Elaborate Helmet (SP:2), Heavy Crossbow(WP:8, Knockback), Potion x2, Holy Bomb, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Paralyzing Venom, Bone

Nyx (played by Pandora)
Party Leader

Level 16.5 Battle Mage

Power:

SP:
-

Health:
19/26

Ether:
5/21

Gold:

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures(WP:12, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero, only one creature can be out, summoning it costs 1 ether.), Dawnstar II (WP:9), Longsword (WP:6), Sandman's Parasol (grants immunity to sleep), Helmet(+1 health), Ruby(Fire), Amethyst(Darkness), Topaz(Lightning), Sapphire(Wind), Emerald(Wood), Potion x1, Remedy, Tonic x2, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x5

Level 16 Rogue

Power:

SP:

Health:
23/23

Ether:
-

Gold:

Inventory:
Leachfeather (WP:7 Fire, Wind, restores 2 health on hit), Shiv(WP: 4, can be used as both a melee and a throwing weapon.)Cloak of the Elven Spy(Allows wearer to see an NPC's stats from afar), Sand Worm Hide(SP:2), Bone x2, Nutritious Banana, Venom

Level 12.5 Cleric

Power:

SP:

Health:
16/20

Ether:
8/16

Gold:

Inventory:
on successful roll, has 50% chance to do half of WP damage to self instead(ignoring row and SP),
Potion x2, Remedy x1, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Venom

6899774894_f2e2331e0b_m.jpg

Summoned Spider
controlled by Pandora.

Level 5 Minion

Health:
25/25

Critical hit = 2x level, Shield roll = 2x level, plus poison effect.

Moving along...

Results of Round 15 of the Wolfgang Battle.

Cronk vs. Halberdeer - Critical hit

Nyx vs. Halberdeer- Damage

Atramor vs. Halberdeer- Shield Mug

Spider vs. Halberdeer- Damage

Rufindel vs. Halberdeer - Special Damage

Cronk slashes at the Halberdeer with his black sword, dealing 41 damage, leaving the Halberdeer at the brink of defeat. He manages to strike at Nyx for 6 damage, but Atramor is behind him, and with a quick stab, the Halberdeer is no more. Before he can fall over, Atramor takes a pouch of gold off of him, containg 37 pieces of gold.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

All heroes gain half a level of experience, and the Spider disappears in a puff of smoke.

Party

Level 18 Paladin

Power:

SP:

Health:
31/38

Ether:
11/19

Gold:

Inventory:

Nyx (played by Pandora)
Party Leader

Level 17 Battle Mage

Power:

SP:
-

Health:
27/27

Ether:
6/22

Gold:

Inventory:

Level 16.5 Rogue

Power:

SP:

Health:
23/23

Ether:
-

Gold:

Inventory:

Level 13 Cleric

Power:

SP:

Health:
21/21

Ether:
9/17

Gold:

Inventory:

Please check your stats.

Party Leader, how shall the loot be divided?

7060176995_abe8a5e016_t.jpgBlack Katana - WP: 8, Earth Elemental, Suitable for Knights and Rogues.

6882850003_9d055c8698_t.jpg Barr Handle's Head

6882851163_f1aea412ba_t.jpg 3x Wooden Shield - SP: 2, Suitable for Knights

6882852317_8552b2304b_t.jpg 30 gold

Edited by Scubacarrot

Mean wolf people should have listened to Cronk and let friends pass. It shame that people not have common sense.

Wolfgang seem know something about key thing. Maybe wolfpack know more about guards' vanishing.

Atramor pockets all of the Wolfgang's gold. Steal from the poor who steal from the rich, right?

"Sure sounds like it, Cronk. An anti - whatever the hell it is - doesn't sound like much of a beefy business to just be stealin' from. Do y'all wanna head back to the guardhouse, or head to the docks? If it's the latter, I ain't carryin' that bastard's head, no much how much the reward for 'im's worth."

He nudges Barr Handle's head with his foot.

Cronk find it odd that Barr drop own head like that.

If part knew where wolfgang headquarters were, party could maybe find more members to, um, question.

"'Member, the captain gave us that reward poster for him. I s'pose this is the proof we need for it."

Cronk has had enough of the criminal, and ends his life, with a powerful swing of his weapon, that slices the man's head right off.

No one reads those anyway. :tongue:

"I'm surprised you're so squeamish, Atramor. :sceptic: Take the Black Katana and a Wooden shield and I'll take Barr's head. I shall waggle it in front of any more Wolfgang wrong'uns who cross our path, as a warning. Additionally I'll take a Wooden shield, as will Rufindel. 10 gold each to Cronk, Rufindel and... uhm... me. Sorry Atramor - it's easier to divide this way, and sorry Cronk we'll find something shiny for you, I'm sure. :blush:

Now, what to do next? I really do need to recharge my Ether as I'm going through Tonics at a rate of knots, so a nice sit down somewhere would be nice, but I'm guessing that despite my ability to rest anywhere it will not be possible at present. :cry_sad: Soooo, we could ditch the decapitated head and pick up the reward, but I doubt they'll be happy to see us back at the guardhouse without more info about the disappearances. Hmm, maybe the Wolfgang headquarters are at the docks? Maybe we should head there and see what there is to be seen, but if there is an opportunity to sit down then I'd like to take it as these heels are murder. :cry_sad:

What say you team?"

Nyx gazes hopefully at the sky and sighs a little, waiting for counsel from her trusted team to before deciding where to go, and hoping for a little rest

Going to docks good idea, friend Nyx. More Wolfgang sure to be around there somewhere.

Resting good idea, too. Ether very important for party's battles.

Atramor takes the Katana and Shield. The former was much more balanced and speedy than any longsword he'd used. The edge was keen, and he could feel the earthy energy pulsating through the weapon's bevel. It was a truly deadly tool of artful destruction, already wrought with history of roguish deeds.

And it was black.

"I usually leave the messy kills to barbarians, Nyx, as I and a particularly unfortunate rat both know. And yes, I think the docks sound just dandy."

Never mind, Atramor, you've done quite well out all that mugging. And that katana suits you!

If we can find a place to rest, I could do with recharging some Ether, too. Otherwise, I agree, the docks are best.

As Eubric is very much harbour town, 'the Docks' is a massive area, spanning over the whole bay, and half the city. The location of "The Wolfgang Hideout" is not something any of the heroes know, so looking for it in the docks would be almost pointless. The party decides to rest up. They do so inside the Antiquarian's, who does not mind, he only seems a bit nervous about the corpses in front of his store, and he mumbles something about not getting any customers this way.

Updated party, Please check your stats and update your signatures/profile pages.

Level 18 Paladin

Power:

SP:

Health:
38/38

Ether:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:

Nyx (played by Pandora)
Party Leader

Level 17 Battle Mage

Power:

SP:
-

Health:
27/27

Ether:
22/22

Gold:

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures(WP:12, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero, only one creature can be out, summoning it costs 1 ether.), Dawnstar II (WP:9), Longsword (WP:6), Sandman's Parasol (grants immunity to sleep), Helmet(+1 health), Ruby(Fire), Amethyst(Darkness), Topaz(Lightning), Sapphire(Wind), Emerald(Wood), Potion x1, Remedy, Tonic x2, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x5, Wooden Shield (SP:2)

Level 16.5 Rogue

Power:

SP:

Health:
23/23

Ether:
-

Gold:

Inventory:
Black Katana(WP:8 Earth), Leachfeather (WP:7 Fire, Wind, restores 2 health on hit), Shiv(WP: 4, can be used as both a melee and a throwing weapon.)Cloak of the Elven Spy(Allows wearer to see an NPC's stats from afar), Sand Worm Hide(SP:2), Bone x2, Nutritious Banana, Venom, Wooden Shield(SP:2)

Level 13 Cleric

Power:

SP:

Health:
21/21

Ether:
17/17

Gold:

Inventory:
Potion x2, Remedy x1, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Scroll of Sealing, Venom, Wooden Shield(SP:2)

After a few hours, the party has had a good rest. Outside, it is now a couple of hours past noon. Without a real goal, the party wanders around the docks for a bit, but they do not find anything interesting, nor do they see any Wolfgang, or any trace of Donny Dozenhands. Didn't he say were he went?

Edited by Scubacarrot

Atramor watches his questmates laze around in the dusty shop while taking a few practice swings with his Black Katana.

"Oh, right, er, Donny said something about an assault, didn't he? Maybe we should go check the guardhouse."

Nyx yawns and stretches, feeling eminently better for a little rest. She watches Atramor swooshing his new sword, with a hint of amusement on her face, before speaking.

"Ahh yes, I feel my connection to my magics again.... all the better for killing people with. :sweet:

You're right Atramor, Donny did indeed mention an assault, but he didn't specify that it was the guardhouse he was assaulting. We'd be wandering aimlessly around the docks again if we head back there though, so we may as well head back to the guardhouse and make sure it's ok. :shrug_oh_well: "

The party walks back towards the Guardhouse, but instead of the moustached guard they expected to see, they find the following scene:

6882853583_42e2002afe.jpg

How does the party want to proceed?

Cronk will poke man laying down with Bloody Pointy Stick to determine if man is alive.

That not look like guard. Friends should be careful. Whatever cause guards to vanish may be inside.

The man is very dead.

Maybe Cronk poke too hard. :look:

Can Cronk determine if dead man is member of wolfgang? Can Cronk hear any noises from within guard building?

Cronk rolls the man over, and sees the familiar Wolfgang emblem on the man's clothes. Cronk can hear no noise from inside the building, but it may be hard to tell, since the normal sounds of the city are still there.

Atramor frowns at the Wolfgang guy.

"Aw damn. D'you guys think we should check inside?"

The party goes inside, where the hallways used to be clean, there are now clear signs of battle: blood, woodsplinters, broken glass, crossbow bolts. No other bodies are found. Walking around, vigilant of any threats they might find, the heroes reach the Captain's office. Half expecting an ambush, they open the door:

6882852871_c1659338c0.jpg

They see the captain's office in a bad state, some of the furniture is broken, and there are several wounded guards, apparantly being treated by a medic of sorts. In the corner the heroes can see an unmoving figure under a blanket, a dead guard. With her weapon drawn, Captain Patricia walks towards the heroes:

6882853079_4dc6b01765_t.jpg

"Mercutio's balls, fate is cruel today. You could not show up two hours earlier? I'll spare you the pleasantries, the Wolfgang attacked us. There were around fifty of them, more than we were with. They were lead by my predecessor's nemesis, Dozenhands. I have a dozen wounded, two casualties, and around fifteen others unaccounted for, we managed to take a number of them out, but they surprised us. They attacked on the middle of the day, in our base! But, what have you found out?"

With a sarcastic tone in her voice, she added:

"Not that it matters much, now. I bet all I have that the Wolfgang are behind this all."

"It could've been a lot worse if we hadn't killed a bunch of them down near the docks..."

Atramor looks around, somewhat disgusted by the scene. He points towards Barr Handle's head.

"There's the proof right there of it. Now, they wanted this keystone sort of thing, but Dozenhands took off, 'parently to head this attack when we refused. I dunno what to make of it, other than that it was at a crime scene of a vanished guard, but one thing's clear - there's a three-way power struggle in the underworld down there, and I think that the guards' disappearance was to sabotage your presence there. And now the Wolfgang are goin' at the other gangs, makin' themselves known."

6882853079_4dc6b01765_t.jpg

"A keystone? What does it do, do you know? And this would mean Barr Handle turned Wolfgang? That would mean things are even worse than we thought. And let me get this straight, you met Donny Dozenhands, and you did not kill him? What is it with you Heroes and your inability to kill this man!"

Captain Patricia lowered her voice, so only the heroes could hear her, and said:

"As you might imagine, recent events have left us in a weak state, on top of that, all prisoners are gone now, as well. I think this attack was to get us out of the way, of something... I wish it had not come to this."

She then spoke to a guard standing a bit back, who did not look very wounded, and the captain said:

"You! I want you to spread the word around that every Wolfgang member is now Kill On Sight status. If they are spotted, they are dead, understand? Have someone organize a bounty system for every Wolfgang Emblem. After that, send word to the Houses and the Temples, we need help, if the Town Watch is to survive. Thirdly, I want constant patrols in the high profile areas of the city. Any patrol that does not fall in that category, gets cancelled, got all that?"

The Guard salutes, and runs off to perform the tasks he was given, once again, Patricia turns to the heroes:

"Anything else you can tell me?"

"Apparently this keystone unlocks a vault in Strivvi, which is faaaar awaaaaay, and the Wolfgang seemed very interested in it. We would have killed Donny, if he hadn't run away like a little girl, but let's focus on the fact that we did kill all the others. :sweet:

And what do you mean 'Barr Handle turned Wolfgang'? He seemed very much part of their team, if a little wet round the ears....

Aaanyway, I think Atramor is right that there's a three way power-struggle going on and you guys are coming off worst of the three. Hopefully we can help even the odds a bit.

Can I give you this icky head now? In return for some gold, natch. :grin: "