Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

Need help to create egg shape

For an easter thing I got going, I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me to create a digital egg-shaped model. I tried looking at this topic by bbqqq, but in all honesty I'm not much of 3D expert.

What I need is an egg, about 30 cm in height, made with only normal bricks, stud up - no plates, no SNOT. In worst case it could be made with only 1x1 bricks, and I could manually replace with suitable standard bricks. Also, it's sufficient with only the outer shell - I'll have to internal bracing myself.

If it's in Ldraw or LDD format doesn't matter.

This is roughly what I was thinking:

uovo+lego.jpg

You could use Philo's Lego Sphere Sculpture Instructions as a template to make the bottom portion of a BIG egg. You can upsize it if necessary, once you understand his methodology of building upwards. You could then design your own, ellipsoid-shaped top portion of the egg.... :classic:

sphere1-v.jpguovo+lego.jpgfunny-pictures-easter-egg-birds.jpg

@Brickdoctor: Yeah, I guess that model is pretty much what I'm looking for.

@DLuders: I was looking for a LDD or Ldraw file, so I wouldn't have to manually do the whole thing. But maybe I'm overestimating the time it takes.

My idea was otherwise to ask if someone who has the skills and some time to spare, could help to do what bbqqq did, i.e. take an egg-shaped 3d-volume, and run LSculpt with some parameters and produce an output that is about 30 cm high.

Okay, I tried my hand at reverse-engineering it:

post-11254-133039587452.png

I couldn't see the top well, so I sort of improvised there, and I couldn't see enough to complete the bottom, but that should be completable with a basic sphere's bottom. There's no internal structure; just a few 2x3 bricks here and there instead of 1xns wherever I needed an attachment point.

egg.lxf

Brickdoctor rules! :classic: How long did it take you to model this giant Lego Easter Egg in Lego Digital Designer?

I think I see the egg being 29 bricks high. Using the measurements below, (29 bricks) x (9.6 mm/brick) = 278.4 mm = 27.84 cm (close to the target 30 cm height). :thumbup:

unit_brick.gif

Brickdoctor rules! :classic: How long did it take you to model this giant Lego Easter Egg in Lego Digital Designer?

Two hours-ish. Most of which was staring at the reference picture trying to determine which brick went where. It's pretty quick once you get used to it. Start with the outer-most brick of a flat side. Determine how many studs the next brick juts out, using (if necessary) any adjacent layers to adjust positioning. Once you've made half a ring, you can clone the layer and flip it around to complete the ring. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Note that that is not a full egg. I couldn't see enough of the bottom to finish it. There should be three more layers, which you could probably estimate the position of, but it'd probably be easier and look better if you just find a sphere of comparable size and copy a part of that.

Try "Rotation Model" function of MLCad, It limit 20 bricks height. So you may need to separate making upper and lower part. But the result not look so good. Maybe Lsculpt can do better.

Edited by bbqqq

OK, here is an update

1) Added bottom layers

2) Looked over each layer so it's symmetrical

3) Gave each layer a unique color

Left to do: Re-design so it can be built (no bricks hangning in the air, good structure, internal bracing). Anyone feel like it? :classic:

post-4755-133044252523.png

EasterEgg.lxf

I could possibly give it a shot, but first I need to know more before I commit:

1) Are you in a hurry? Easter is not for another month. Since I sit in front of a computer all day at work, I don't usually do LDD until the weekend but if you are going to build this egg with REAL BRICKS and need to make Bricklink orders, I understand the rush.

2) What kind of internal bracing are you wanting -- just "System"-type bricks or "Technic" studless liftarms pinned together?

3) Is the internal bracing supposed to exist for EVERY layer (in an X-shaped, quadrant pattern like Philo used for his Sphere Sculptures), or for every 5-6 layers to prevent internal collapse?

4) Is the egg supposed to be "opened" for viewing, or will the internal structure be hidden forever?

5) I ran the existing LDD .lxf file through your LDD Manager program to see if all the colors exist in real bricks, and there were numerous "Color Warnings". nono.gif Do I have the liberty to change the color layers (or to repeat them) so that there are no more Color Warnings?

6) Estimated real height of your LDD Easter Egg = (33 equivalent layers of bricks) x (9.6 mm per layer) = 316.8 mm = 31.7 cm (a bit more than the target height) -- is this OK?

uovo+lego.jpgLDDScreenShot1500.png

Edited by DLuders

1) Are you in a hurry?

Well, not really. How about in a week or two...ish?

2) What kind of internal bracing are you wanting

Only system bricks, i.e. 1 and 2 stud wide bricks of all lenghts. Maybe a few plates if needed?

3) Is the internal bracing supposed to exist for EVERY layer

No, only bracing as needed, I guess in the first three layers could be massive to hold it together, then each layter after that would be like you build an igloo (which means you have to use your hand inside the egg while building when putting bricks in place). Maybe a few bracing struts across the innerwalls now and then if needed.

In the end you put the top dome on and it will be solid as a rock :tongue: I guess it would also be OK to have a long pillar inside that reaches from the bottom to the top so the egg wont be crushed when pressing the top dome on.

4) Is the egg supposed to be "opened" for viewing

That was not my initial thought. However, if it should be possible to open up the top, and put stuff in, then I figure bricks have to be glued. So you don't have to concider that at the moment.

5) Do I have the liberty to change the color layers (or to repeat them) so that there are no more Color Warnings?

Oh, yes, the colors I put are only to make each layer unique in color (to select it etc). In the final model I think stick with the normal base LEGO colors (red, blue, green, yellow, black, white and maybe tan, orange and lime). I guess as long as one use standard bricks and lengths, it should be possible to recolor the egg in any color you want.

6) Estimated real height of your LDD Easter Egg = (33 equivalent layers of bricks) x (9.6 mm per layer) = 316.8 mm = 31.8 cm (a bit more than the target height) -- is this OK?

Yes, it can be the height it is now, i.e. 1:1 scale with the LXF-model

---------------------------------------

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know who did the original red egg that we used as a starting point? I'd like to give some credits.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know who did the original red egg that we used as a starting point? I'd like to give some credits.

Using Google Images it seems the only information available is that the egg comes from Italy.

OK, I'll work on modifying the LDD .lxf Easter Egg this weekend, when I can devote several hours to the project. I'll post the LDD file here when I'm done. :classic:

I plan on following Philo's methodology for the "System"-type internal bracing, using this webpage and this webpage for a guide. There will be a central "pillar" of bricks and plates, and central cruciform bracing extending to four sides. I will have to substitute longer bricks than Brickdoctor used, in order to have an internal "shelf" on the inner surface of the egg shell, on which to place the braces.

It WILL be solid in case the real egg is dropped or rolled around. Here's what it could look like (if looking at the bottom end, and building downwards):

sphere-2.lcd-16.gifsphere-2.lcd-17.gifsphere-2.lcd-18.gifsphere-2.lcd-19.gif

Before I go too far with the "System" type of internal bracing (which would brace only four sides), please consider this "Technic" style of internal bracing (which could brace EIGHT sides, could resist tension & compression forces, be lighter, and possibly be less expensive to build). It is an "elegant solution", instead of the "brute force" System method of internal bracking:

1) A central pillar would be built up of alternating 6222 "Brick, Round 4 x 4 with Holes" and 3403c01 "Turntable 4 x 4 Square Base with Top, Complete Assembly" parts:

6222.jpg3403c01.jpg

The central pillar would be uniform (top to bottom), and allow Technic Liftarms of various lengths to be clipped onto it.

2) Simple 3700 "Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Hole" pieces would be on short "shelves" projecting on the inside surface of the Egg Shell:

3700.jpg

3) Each pin hole (on the 1x2 Technic Bricks AND the on the 4x4 Round Brick With Holes) would have a 2780 Technic Pin, a 32013 "Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #1" clipped onto it VERTICALLY, and a 43093 "Technic, Axle Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise" inserted into the axle end of the Technic Connector:

2780.jpg32013.jpg43093.jpg

4) The "Turntable 4 x 4 Square Base with Top" could be ROTATED as needed to intercept Technic Liftarms hooked onto the vertical Technic Pins coming from FOUR SIDES AT A TIME, in a vertical alternating pattern (12-3-6-9 o'clock on one layer, then (1:30-4:30-7:30-10:30 on the next layer):

32524.jpg40490.jpg32525.jpg

The resultant internal bracing would have these features:

A) TOP-TO-BOTTOM SOLID PILLAR to resist downwards force on the top of the egg.

B) EIGHT-SIDED BRACING (not just four) to resist tension and compression forces.

C) ECONOMY OF MATERIAL.

What do you think?

Edited by DLuders

Before I go too far with the "System" type of internal bracing (which would brace only four sides), please consider this "Technic" style of internal bracing.

Well, the technic brick bracing would be nice, but the egg will be built from bricks in a big ol' crate of mixed bricks, and I don't think there are too many Technic elements in there.

Maybe if one could use some plates for bracing instead. I'm thinking a few of those 2x16 plates squeezed together and going from center out to the sides. Then you could just run a simple column of 2x2 bricks top to bottom. Then you may only need bracing to sides every four rows or so also?

Oh, and I should mention that the egg when finished will be handled carefully, so no risk of kids kicking it about :classic:

6823816064_ff2e77a9ee_z.jpg

6823815992_ee9ffe86e3_z.jpg

This Lego Easter Egg is 30 cm (12 inches) high. :classic: Download the Lego Digital Designer (LDD) .lxf Building Instructions file via SkyDrive at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=5641cce2a1cc0886&resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!280&parid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!279 . Download the PDF Parts List at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=5641cce2a1cc0886&resid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!281&parid=5641CCE2A1CC0886!279 . You can recolor each layer yourself (to create different designs) by using the Lego Digital Designer's "Select by Color" tool. Recommend using that same tool to select and "drag out" each layer, to make it easier to build (since LDD's Building Guide mode jumps around and builds several layers of digital bricks at the same time).

6823815914_aa2d75e602_z.jpg

6823815764_55a0bfc695_z.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Below is a LDD2PovRay render of this BIG seasonal item! Check out the Lego Easter Egg Building Instructions -- 12 inches (30 cm) high with hollow center. Build this hollow (but strong) Lego Easter Egg using the PDF instructions available on SkyDrive. See the Parts List and Lego Digital Designer (LDD) .lxf Building Instruction file . Change the individual layer colors to suit your taste. :classic:

8479724569_d2c79397da_c.jpgeaster_bunny.jpg

The Lego Easter Egg has been added to Rebrickable. :classic: The Parts List there shows an all-red version, but these colors can be used for the ENTIRE EGG (regardless of layer): BLACK, BLUE, BROWN, DARK GRAY, GREEN, LIGHT BLUISH GRAY, LIGHT GRAY, RED, TAN, WHITE, & YELLOW. Other colors COULD be used for a given layer, but one has to check this PDF Color Availability Chart to make sure.

Edited by DLuders

Is there a PDF somewhere of how much and what kind of chocolate it can hold in the hollow areas? :wink:

Edited by vynsane