Siegfried

REVIEW: 21012 Sydney Opera House

94 members have voted

1. 1. Don't be gutless like Sieggy! Give it a rating!

• 5. Excellent!
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

Actually I love this set and your outstanding review complete with photos of the real thing!

The first time you see the Opera House (as your plane lands in Sydney), it takes your breathe away (assuming you land during the day.) I was stunned seeing it from the air just after it opened....there was nothing in the whole world like it....then or now. I have studied outstanding buildings in over 50 countries, and this one is the real thing for sure.

So it is a thrill to see Lego Architecture introduce this set.

(And yes, we will buy one to place next to our Fallingwater!)

The set is a representation, not an actual model of the Opera House, and it does that just fine. Some blue water around it would have helped, but could have made the set too large. And we can always build water around it if we want to display it that way.

It was quite helpful seeing the built set in front of the real thing....what a brilliant idea! Thanks for going the extra distance to show us how they compare.

Thanks for the refreshing review, Siegfried (and Walrus Keeper! :grin:) The detailed pictures of the real building are totally worth the effort! :thumbup: I will echo the views of previous posters that this is a great added bonus to an Architecture line review.

As for the design, it's not shabby at all given the scale and available parts. I guess this was designed with a specific price point (or part usage?) in mind and as such is a successful reproduction of the Opera House. Like many I wish in time there could be a bigger scale model of the same, but in the meantime I would certainly buy this one if I had any 'special connection' with the building.

Thank you so much Siegfried! This is a fantastic opportunity for us to see this Architecture set early, and you've absolutely made the most out of it by producing this extensive and thorough review. :thumbup: As others have said, the comparisons with the real Sydney Opera House add a wonderful depth to the review and show (to me at least) that Adam Reed Tucker achieved his objective in creating an artistic interpretation of this beautiful landmark in LEGO form. I can see this being an ideal gift shop purchase, and appealing even to people who don't even realise they're AFOLs (yet). :grin:

I have no doubt that we'll end up buying this set, and it will sit nicely alongside our other Architecture sets. It would also perhaps serve as a nice reminder that one day we really should go and see the real thing. :laugh:

WOW. Thank you Siegfried! I have to say, this is one of the BEST review I've ever seen pictures of on Eurobricks! Amazing. I was scrolling down... then you're actually AT the Opera House! Sweet! Top Notch!

I've seen some cool reviews on the Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean sets, where the reviewers included freeze frames from the movies, with the exact lego set, which was awesome, but all of the different angles on your shots are amazing!

I have a few architecture sets, but I will pick this one up solely on your review.

Thanks again!

Love your review, Siegfried! Reminds me a lot of when I was there.

Great Review! It definitely inspires me to buy it and add it to my fallingwater, farnsworth house, and robie house display :).

fantastic review! I just read about flooding in New South Wales and I sincerely hope you aren't affected by it!

Per Brickset, you can now download the two PDF Building Instructions booklets from Lego.com:

Architecture: Sydney Opera House Set 21012 Book 1 of 2

Architecture: Sydney Opera House Set 21012 Book 2 of 2

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. :sweet:

I have a few architecture sets, but I will pick this one up solely on your review.

My work here is done! :laugh:

I just read about flooding in New South Wales and I sincerely hope you aren't affected by it!

It's OK for me right now; I think it's more inland. Even so, it has rained a bit today... :look:

Fantastic Review Siegfried! :thumbup:

The real life shots are excellent. I would say this is a nice rendition by TLG and would be a cool souvenir.

I would one day myself love to visit the Sydney Opera House. :sweet:

Per Brickset, you can now download the two PDF Building Instructions booklets from Lego.com:

There's a nice write-up in these. It seems the Architecture sets lately are providing the builder with more information about what they are building.

Brilliant review, I've never seen the Sydney opera house up that close, let alone an Ozzie girl! :grin:

Thank you for taking the time and skin burn to show us the comparison!

On the subject of colours, the turntables used to angle the structure don't come in tan, so there's nothing that can be done about that little spot of black.

Actually if you really wanted to remove the black marks use two of the tan 2x2 jumper plates instead of the turntables. They work on the same principle just anchor it in a different place.

Great review! Definitely adding it to the list since cunning parts usage means I can't build it from my collection (alla Burj Khalifa)

An excellent rendition of the actual building, and one, I think, which kickstarted the push for a larger version. Thanks for the review!