Sign in to follow this  
Flipz

[MOC] Qui-Gon Jinn's Lightsaber (LDD sculpture)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hey, guys, I finally finished my submission for the Star Wars Episode I Community Build!

QuiGonJinnLightsaberResized.jpg

LXF File

When I signed up for the Community Build, I thought about building a min-scale Jedi Temple. However, after thinking for a while, I decided I wanted to build something that was unique to The Phantom Menace, something iconic of Episode I that you couldn't see in any of the other Star Wars films. Naboo seemed to be getting a lot of attention from other CB entrants, and the only truly unique and iconic scene on Tatooine would be the podrace, something that's been done a LOT in MOCs already. I thought a bit about a Lucrehulk-class battleship, but the project seemed a bit too big for the time I had and the other projects I was working on--and besides, Lucrehulks can be seen in Attack of the Clones AND The Clone Wars--not exactly unique. I was trying to think of things that couldn't be found in other movies when I came up with the idea of Qui-Gon Jinn. I knew anything minifig-scale would have to be absolutely stunning in order to hold up to everything else on Eurobricks, so I came up with the idea of a brick-built lightsaber--and this was the result.

I tried to keep it as accurate as I could, though certain details did elude me (in particular, I wish I could figure out a way to make the ribbing above the activation button more accurate, it should be using more of a 4x4 curve but I'm limited by the construction of the side panels). Overall, though, I'm happy with what I managed to accomplish, especially considering this was my first time attempting to build a brick sculpture like this.

I used LDD Extended mode and thus completely ignored whether the parts I needed really existed in those colors. I'm pretty sure you could just substitute light gray or light stone gray parts for the metallic silver and build this for real, but then again it's not the strongest thing either--most of the lightsaber is held together by the 2x4 tiles on the bottom, and the part that holds the activation button on is actually an integral part of the structure. :tongue: Still, if anyone wants to give it a go, be my guest.

I hope you enjoy! Comments and criticism are most appreciated!

It's certainly recognizable with that distinctive shape. The casing seems a little blocky, but, at the same time, the model has a sort of blocky LEGO charm to it. Nice work, Flipz. :thumbup:

Wow thus is very nice. I've always liked Qui-Gon's lightsabre, it's a lot sleeker and less blocky than any of the OT lightsabres or Obi-Wan's PM one. This is a great replication of it in a great Lego style.

Oh the Lucrehulks where also in the original CW and in ROTS as well :grin:.

Very impressive! It'd be cool if you built it for real and added in some photoshopped 'special effects' of it turned on! :laugh:

A nice contribution to the community build.

Nice! The shape is definitely recognizable, it's just that those arches on the side seem a bit out of place. Other than that, great work. :thumbup:

Very good job! It looks like something you would pick up and swoosh around while making humming sounds - the hallmark of a good lightsaber replica :wink::thumbup: