Sign in to follow this  
Steinkopf

MOC: Be 6/6 Crocodile

Hello Everyone

I would like to share some photos of one of my most favourite locomotives in my collection, back in 2003 when I first got into 9v trains I would look through the back catalogue of 9v sets and always had one favourite the iconic Crocodile 4551. In 1992 when I was helping my uncle on my grandparents farm I went to the local toy store and saw a 4551 sitting on the shelves at a price of $90.00 AUD, I looked at it and thought that looks cool, at the time I was modelling OO Gauge Model Railways and could not justify buying it. Wind the clock 11 years into the future and here I was kicking myself that I didn't buy it back then especially when the MISB price was $450.00 US.

Then in 2006 the IR Freight train was released and even better the cab front and other pieces were in green I thought immediately this was my opportunity to finally have a Crocodile of my own, but when I bought the set instead of building a copy of 4551 I thought I will do my own take of one of these beauties, the locomotive was inspired by the RhB Ge 6/6, SBB Be 6/8 and the OBB 1189 classes of locomotives. This locomotive has had a number of progressive rebuilds over the years as better/new parts become available or ideas of how to improve it's looks and finally after 6 years I can happily say that she is completed.

6920130143_c9e0b0b136_z.jpg

6774027730_4acca1a229_z.jpg

6920128909_f04196e046_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Monstrous!

Although i would have done the lights in green, same as the body. Genius pantograph from skiis and pirate wrenches. Why won't Lego make a classic remake like this?

Wow! I've always had a soft spot for center-cab electric locomotives (Swiss Crocodiles, Steeple Cabs, PRR GG-1's, etc), and the Swiss Crocodile was one of my favorites, right after the GG-1. You did an excellent job of capturing the look of that particular locomotive, I must say. :thumbup:

I had the deluxe cargo train, but I left it at home for my brother with the rest of my collection. I do miss it. But this thing is very goodlooking.

But this thing is very goodlooking.

Wabbajack: why are you bumping all these year-old (almost year old topics)? I agree that Steinkopf's MOCs are most impressive, but these were posted quite some time ago. We have a general rule that unless you've really got something pertinent to add, stating that a MOC is "good looking" or you like the colors does not warrant "bumping" old topics. This makes three four in a row so I thought I'd let you know.