RunnersDad

What is the single rarest and/or most expensive LEGO piece?

13 posts in this topic

To be more specific I am talking about Production pieces, not prototypes...What is the rarest and single most desireable LEGO piece in terms of having appeared in very few to no sets but is desired by builders because it has functionality?

And to follow this up, if the aforementioned piece(s) is not the single most expensive LEGO brick, what in your opinion is the Most expensive single Lego piece in existence?

Just curious and figured that it might stir up a solid debate!

Edited by RunnersDad

I'm pretty sure it was the yellow construction hat until that toy story set came out. Now I'm not too sure.

Hmmm. I know that the gold chrome limited edition C-3PO from a few years ago was VERY sought-after, so... maybe his head? :laugh:

Well, a sticker sheet is a piece so probably the sticker sheet in 4000001 Moulding Machines is the rarest piece. They made 10,000 gold C-3POs which were randomly inserted into set but only 68 of Moulding Machines sets for the Inside Tour, which costs a couple of thousand pounds. So the sticker sheet is way more rare and (if for sale) would probably cost more.

there is 'rare' and 'expensive' and the two might not be the same piece.

While that sticker might be the rarest item, its value as a piece is determined by demand. I would assume most collectors interested in that set would want it boxed and complete, so the sticker on its own wouldn't be that valuable.

some of the one-off UCS millenium falcon pieces however (Radar dish and rear rigging) are relatively common in comparison, but the demand is high and so are prices.

there is 'rare' and 'expensive' and the two might not be the same piece.

While that sticker might be the rarest item, its value as a piece is determined by demand. I would assume most collectors interested in that set would want it boxed and complete, so the sticker on its own wouldn't be that valuable.

some of the one-off UCS millenium falcon pieces however (Radar dish and rear rigging) are relatively common in comparison, but the demand is high and so are prices.

Good point about the rarest and most expensive not necessarily being the same piece. I would guess the most expensive would most likely be a special printed piece that has a lot of appeal for MOCs. I know I buy some of the old Star Wars Lego sets specifically because they use printed bricks and no stickers. I just like to have examples of one of a kind printed pieces such as the ones from the Star Wars Episode II bounty hunter pursuit set.

The most expensive part LEGO has made (other than ultra rare 1,000 made-type parts) is probably the black NXT brainpiece. That was over $150 USD from LEGO if I remember correctly, because of all of the electronics (And because they charged more because it was black...). Not sure how much that sells for in the AFOL community, but it's got to be the most expensive part by TLG's prices.

The Maersk blue construction hat used to be quite expensive before the release of the new Maersk sets.

Also, a lot of convention-exclusive sets have pieces that are becoming quite expensive and rare; the new Toy Fair 2012 Super Heroes set is an example of this.

Probably the red Darth Vader helmet or some other leaked prototype.

I would have said the Maersk Blue Construction Helmet part, it was $500 or so. (That was before they released them again in the Maersk Train). :laugh:

Now after a Bricklink search it would be this part. However this part and this part are pretty cool too. Might as well mention this fig too. :tongue:

The Maresk blue baseball cap would have to be one of the rarest parts out there, its even more rare than the construction helmet AFAIK.