Bonaparte

10224 Town Hall

I'm gonna have to save up and get this in NYC just like I did the Pet Shop in the summer - might try and treat myself to a second one now that I've seen all the awesome people in it!

I guess it is not a modular house, but it is a haunted house with 2 ghosts flying around (as you can see) ... I do not have any idea which theme or series could have this new unknown Exclusive set though...

My guess would be that it's the as yet unseen Monster Fighters 'zombie' set. Whatever it is though, it looks extremly cool.

Sweet. The elevator is an interesting feature and allows for those open balconies at the inside instead of the usual staircase. I like that very much. But why has the mayor a frog sculputure on his desk? Am I the only who thinks this is weird :laugh:

Regarding the price, I must say it's very fair. They just raised it as much as necessary to make up for the additional pieces. 180€ for 2760 pcs is on the same level as 150€ for 2200 pcs, so I won't complain.

Finally! That was a nice vid! I really was expecting Jamie to sit there, but Astrid seems to be a good alternative :wub: I might have missed some details she showed.

About the building, as I'm more into Pet Shop styled buildings, the Town Hall seems too large to be added to my collection.. So I might skip this one.

BUT I have to admit that it looking really good, I like the monumental entrance and the detailing on the front facade.

The roof-light might be the coolest thing of this set, I bet we'll see it popping up in MOCs sometime soon. :thumbup:

I also like the void, but it might be a bit to big, because of this, the interior is a bit cramped in my opinion.

In my eyes modulars have to be static, the are for looking at, not for playing, so the elevator is not my cup of tea..

So, my conclusion. A really nice addition to the modular series, with some new techniques and bricks. Astrid knows how to build :wink:

I thinks we'll see a lot of MODs in the future, that people will make it wider. But all summed up, I don't thinks I will buy it.. (I have a hard time typing this last sentence, so I'm not totally sure yet)

I looks like they are including a newly designed brick puller with the set. The last photo shows it off to the right of the building. That is an interesting decision, but will likely be very appreciated when you have to take the building apart or modify it.

I guess it is not a modular house, but it is a haunted house with 2 ghosts flying around (as you can see) ... I do not have any idea which theme or series could have this new unknown Exclusive set though...

My guess would be that it's the as yet unseen Monster Fighters 'zombie' set. Whatever it is though, it looks extremly cool.

Discussion about the possible 'Haunted House' set here please.

Monster Fighter Series surely fits a haunted house idea, but I doubt if TLC dares to release an Exclusive set for Monster Fighter series. It seems to me pretty risky for a short-life and non-licenced series to have an Exclusive set in terms of sales...

Really impresive set, with nice details, like the bust in the hall, the camera, or the chair in the mayors office. Out of my reach, though.

If these sets werent so expensive, they would perfect for the girl market as TLG defines it, IMO - more female figs, a modular build allowing for play as soon as a module is finished, more pastel colors, and a rich interior.

It seems the owner/manager of Cafe Corner got elected as mayor! Or is he the groom, with a change of pants and a top hat?

I fnd it rather strange that all the upper rooms are open, with a view to the auditorium - there is no way anyone can have a private conversation with the mayor, or a private meeting in the conference room - anyone in the auditorium could listen in!

Edited by Ardelon

Astrid seems to be a good alternative :wub:

Is there an Astrid fan club? :wub::sweet:

I might have missed some details she showed.

:blush: I had to watch the video again just to be sure but no, just Lego. :laugh:

I just can't believe she was born in '81, even Lego Set Designers are younger than me these days!

I'm still unsure whether I like this modular or not. There are definitely some nice bits but somehow it's just not grabbing me in the way the previous ones have. I won't be rushing to get it on day 1, but maybe when a suitable cashflow moment and decent offer line up or something. It would be a shame not to have it with the others, but I'm not sure that's a good reason to fork out quite so much!

I just can't believe she was born in '81, even Lego Set Designers are younger than me these days!

Half plus seven is all that matters. Half plus seven! :wink:

Watching the video and taking in the high res pics have confirmed for me that this is definitely a set I can't afford to miss; whether I can afford it is another question! :cry_happy:

Awesome Set but... the price WTF.

with current rates:

DE 179.99 €

US $199.99 = 153,65 €

CA $249.99 = 191,88 € + Sales tax (13%) = $282.49 CAD = 216.82 €

UK 149.99 £ = 180,82 €

DK 1499 DKK = 201,67 €

Is there something wrong with me.. or does TLG not get pricing right.. and why do they have to add another 30 Frigging Euro's for a modular.. 150 Euro was f*cking expansive but this is going to be ridiculous.

Keep in mind that Canadians and Americans do not include sales tax in the price (granted, sales tax in America is quite low or nonexistent in some cases). I know for a fact that I will be buying this from across the border!

I was thinking the same thing! :wub:

Well, I was going to get this set anyways, since I want to have all the modulars, but seeing the pictures only makes the purchase that much easier. I am really liking this building, from the color scheme, the interior details, minifig selection, some new pieces, etc. The use of the garage door panels for the skylights is really cool too, if it has been done before, I haven't seen it, so I was impressed at the resourcefulness. The main entrance is very nice also. Overall, I think the only thing anybody could complain about is the price, but with the increased piece count and minifigs, I guess what would you expect.

I hope the haunted house isn't in the modular line, I am not excited about that, but I know my son will be, as he's all into the Monster Fighters that are coming out.

This is the perfect building to add to the modular line, and rounds out everybody's towns very well. I would love to see a modular police headquarters, even though we seem to be inundated with police/fire themes in Lego. I think a bank headquarters would be cool too, with a drive through of course! And even though there was the theater with the Town Plan, one of those with a big marquee would be great.

Well what do you guys (and girls) think: will the next modular be the ''normal'' price ? of for example 150 Euro's or are we going to be scr*wed by TLG and eventually end up paying as much as a Death Star xD ??

And I have found one good point about the Town hall being more expansive: you get more VIP points :P, and especially with the Double Points that are awarded from March 1 until March 15 (source: upcoming calendar of the Lego Store in Köln(Cologne, Germany))

@LegoDad

A bank with a drive through ??... What the hell .. I knew things where strange in the USA but this xD

Edited by Stefano

Hmmmm..... is there a definate release date?

I am going to the US later in the year so maybe I might hold out until then and save a few quid. But I will probably just give in and buy it sooner :laugh:

Maybe Lego are just testing the water with this one, if sales are high with this one then the bar just gets raised for next time. Lego know AFOL's whom have money to spend can afford to spend a little more on something like this than say the regular city range etc. At a guess the next set could be a 'corner', the GE was pretty large and imposing so whats the point of doing something the same or smaller, I would guess it will be bigger again!

I am happy to pay the money for a set like this but I will probably spend less on other sets throughout the year. If modulars are to continue to get bigger piece counts then I am very interested to see what TLG can do!

On a separate note that 'haunted house' a couple of seconds in looks very interesting!

Well what do you guys (and girls) think: will the next modular be the ''normal'' price ? of for example 150 Euro's or are we going to be scr*wed by TLG and eventually end up paying as much as a Death Star xD ??

And I have found one good point about the Town hall being more expansive: you get more VIP points :P, and especially with the Double Points that are awarded from March 1 until March 15 (source: upcoming calendar of the Lego Store in Köln(Cologne, Germany))

@LegoDad

A bank with a drive through ??... What the hell .. I knew things where strange in the USA but this xD

HA! Yeah, almost all banks in the states have drive through. I suppose some large metro (New York) banks don't have the space for them, but every bank in my city has a drive through, even the large ones downtown.

Finally the official pictures. And it still looks great! I like the choice for making it bigger than the other modulars, a town hall has to have some stature. I Admit the gap for the elevator in the back is slightly anoying, but my modulars are all against a wall so it will absolutely not bother me :tongue: .

The biggest surprise here was that Jamie Berard is not the main designer *oh2* .

And BTW, I think this is the first modular with specific printing designs: Bride torso, shield and clock. And they are great!

Edited by Man with a hat

Half plus seven is all that matters. Half plus seven! :wink:

I only have to get rid of my girlfriend (well, that's not worth it..)

Good strategy Lego, good looking Lego-models and good looking designer-models..

(Oh, Lego is a real mans-world isn't it. One lady and half of the posts is about her :tongue: )

it's not a bad set, honestly. Sure, 180€ is a lot, but a fairly normal price for a modular building of this size. I'm not so fond of the interior though and it sorta lacks sophistication... The lift is a nice feature but not good enough to make this set into something really attractive...

also, i see the return of the classic minifig head! :sweet: maybe it's cheaper to create a hair piece than a printed face?

think i'll pass on this one, really...

Although she might be the set designer, it's very obvious that this set is heavily based on the Town Hall Jamie Berard built back in 2007. So he might not be the main designer on it, but there's no doubt that his influence has played a big part.

Lego designs are 100% in the details. So, that's how I'd apportion the credit to her. Even if the same overall concept is similar (it's a standard building type), it's not really the same design at all.

I only have to get rid of my girlfriend (well, that's not worth it..)

Good strategy Lego, good looking Lego-models and good looking designer-models..

(Oh, Lego is a real mans-world isn't it. One lady and half of the posts is about her :tongue: )

I bet when she was a kid, she thought, "When I grow up, I want to be a Lego designer!" And then she added the thought, "Oh, and I want half the posts on the message board to be about the fact that I'm a woman, and discussing how attractive/unattractive I am!"

Anyway... March 1st? Is there a final date yet? Or will I have to go to the Lego store EVERY DAY to check :devil:

Edited by woolie

Really nice building and with ELEVATOR!!

but I think I will use it as free standing building. Does't look that good with other modular building next to it.

I bet when she was a kid, she thought, "When I grow up, I want to be a Lego designer!" And then she added the thought, "Oh, and I want half the posts on the message board to be about the fact that I'm a woman, and discussing how attractive/unattractive I am!"

:laugh: Every woman's dream! I do find it amazing that she was born in '81 though - that's pretty young for an architect. Kinda makes me feel like I haven't accomplished much...

Oh, and Astrid's bio on the Creator site features this interesting tidbit:

Best creation:

It's a secret - it's not out yet...

Edited by Tragic Banjo