SkaForHire

At The Top Of The World

Traditionally and historically, only the busiest towns received full fledged ministers or diplomats. Smaller towns usually received a consul, and even smaller towns and trade locations may have been lucky enough to get an official emissary who was also a ship's captain. Often in these cases the captain - usually a naval officer - would travel from port to port of the small country or territory and act as a ambassador at large. For the most part they usually did not have a residence or an embassy - the ship acted as the embassy.

In the farthest reaches of the Northern Tundra, Kaliphlin traders have long visited during the summer months to trade walrus ivory, whale blubber, and fine furs for goods of the south. The Mitgardian Jarl's more unruly and more autonomous followers usually lived upon this tundra, and were often the only skilled hunters able to produce large quantities of these luxury goods. For this reason Kaliphlin traders had to interact with these people in order to make a profit. After a few incidents with the northern tribes, it was determined that an ambassador, with armed guards, should be present in the Tundra at all time. Ideally, this ambassador would be someone that has spent a lot of time trading in the Northern Wastes, and had many connections (after all, on the other side of the continent, they were on their own.) A silver tongue and many gifts have built great trading relationships between Kaliphlin merchants and the Northern Tribes.

The current Ambassador to the Wastes is Jak Da'el.

6883755437_c716283946.jpg

DSC_1072 by princeofska, on Flickr

A hardened veteran of the Great Silk War, he has been a merchant in the employ of the Greater Eastgate Articles and Rations Company for over 20 years. He was a natural choice a few years back when the position became open, and he received the official letter of office last year. Unfortunately, Jak is only allowed to stray from the North once every two years, meaning he is almost constantly stationed up there. As the great Northern sea becomes frozen solid for 7 months of the year, it often means that Jak must stay in the Tundra. This year he was lucky enough to sail his vessel - Luck be a Lass - into one of the small trading centers GEAR has established over the years.

6883844011_d340cf4f4f.jpg

DSC_1089 by princeofska, on Flickr

This center - Bottom's Run - is the only mortar structure within 50 miles. During the summer months it is a well visited meeting place between the native peoples and GEAR traders. In the paintings below we can see Luck be a Lass boarded up for winter and some of her crew trying to keep the ice off her on this rare winter warm spell (it is a bit above freezing!) Although, snow is still piling up high everywhere it gets knocked off or shoveled.

6883680711_33a91c3d6d.jpg

DSC_1059 by princeofska, on Flickr

6883822405_7329b32e16.jpg

DSC_1085 by princeofska, on Flickr

The Trading post, built by GEAR traders about thirty years ago was inspired by architecture of the homeland. Of course the flowing arches and open airways are just not practical in the Tundra, so the outer facade still resembles the graceful sandstone curves of the south (imported actually)while the inner layer, viewable behind the arches takes on a more traditional Mitgardian wooden flare. This is thought to make homesick Kaliphlinites feel a little more comfortable - then again, they probably are not all that comfortable if they are viewing the building from the outside in three feet of snow!

6883760817_785f58f077.jpg

DSC_1073 by princeofska, on Flickr

6883749783_e8bf027cd8.jpg

DSC_1071 by princeofska, on Flickr

A couple of the crew attempt to break down the ice coming off the mast.

6883791263_49abbd2e71.jpg

DSC_1079 by princeofska, on Flickr

Knocking ice off the out building. (Penned in for the summer, when live rabbits and brought and traded here.)

6883776595_6a80ec883a.jpg

DSC_1076 by princeofska, on Flickr

6883801365_22fbe36688.jpg

DSC_1081 by princeofska, on Flickr

"Looks like we are eating good tonight, my captain!"

6883722087_27109e8ce0.jpg

DSC_1066 by princeofska, on Flickr

6883796215_2f7e7eb708.jpg

DSC_1080 by princeofska, on Flickr

More from this set: HERE

Well, I was a little rushed - and I learned how hard it was to take pictures of white Lego - I still am kind of happy with how this turned out. I wish I owned more white flats, but heck can't blow the electric bill money on Lego this month! It is too cold. Anyway, it is not as good as our guild's other entries, but I think it makes a decent addition to our collection of embassies. I really wanted to go with that backwater province feel - where basically no one wants to go, obviously Jak upset someone to get this appointment.

Nice embassy SkaForHire, it really does have that feeling of a rugged, self-sufficient colony. The ice bound boat is a great touch too, the snow built up at it's sides looks very realistic. I'm well aware of the problems of photographic white bricks too, but you've done a good job of it here. :classic: Nicely done! :thumbup:

Edited by gabe

I really like this build, for me it has a real old school Lego look to it. The little details on the building are fantastic.

I can totally envision this little place sitting out in the middle of nowhere waiting for travelers to arrive.

This is a really great idea Ska, and very well realised. Those icicles on the mast are an inspired touch. I worry that the ship might have to be re-planked after the crushing ice has melted? It would be really cool to throw a few sleds, snowshoes and dogs around, and maybe a fur trader from the Great Elks..ha ha, I am getting carried away with this being such a good idea. White bricks are a total menace, you have done very well with them. Great Embassy.

:classic:

Nice embassy!

I only hoped to see the vessel more in detail :laugh:

It looks really usefull designed!

Also great job on doing the Kaliphlin Outerlayer and Mitgardian Innerlayer mix! It really works well

And I also like the roofing with the details!

Really nicely done! I thought about exactly this type of embassy / trading post in the far northern wastes but didn't follow through. I'm glad to see that someone else had a similar idea and executed it so well.

Very nice, I like the shape of the embassy and the ship is cool too. When I was taking pics of my embassy one of them had a white owl in and it started to glow but taking photos of the studded areas came out alright for me and your pics look spot on. All the details like the icicles and snow are great. Well done. :thumbup:

Thank you everyone, the Embassy itself has grown on me in the last day, when I sit down to eat I kind of take another look at it - Although it is not what I originally imagined, I like the outcome.

I really need to get a better set up to take pictures - although I took the advice to stick a sheet behind this one so that my bookshelves and windows don't distract. I will have to keep playing with the set up - maybe a light tent would help with the white balance?

I loved this idea as soon as you suggested it. You've done a great job of portraying it - especially the snow and ice along the hull and the icicles. I really like the upper windows in the Embassy and the unusual design of the ship. Very nice MOC!

This is awesome! The build itself is a great thing, but like others have said the ice-bound boat was a stroke of genius. Another great embassy for Kaliphlin!

I love the icicles all over the place. Good idea. This building does have quite an embassy-like feel with the arches and all.