Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

How old are the characters from Pirate theme?

This is inspired by a similar discussion in LEGO Friends topic. There's not much sense to it really, but it's just for fun and speculation. How old do you think the main characters from the Pirate theme are? I mean people like Governor Broadside, Captain Redbeard, Captain Ironhook, Captain Brickbeard, Admiral Woodhouse, King Kahuka, Bo'sun Will and so on...

Ever since I was a kid, I thought that Broadside was the oldest of them all, between 50 and 60 years old, an almost retired guy if you will. Somehow I also always imagined Woodhouse to be ten to fifteen years younger than him - a younger competitor of sorts. As for Redbeard, I imagine he would be in his 40's, about ten years older than Ironhook - a possible successor of his.

Does anyone know if the age of any of them was stated anywhere in the comics that were released back in the old days? I read the 6255 Golden Medallion a few years ago and I don't remember anything like that. Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts!

I would say Redbeard is the oldest, his many scars make it look like he's been around for a long time, I can't really call an age though.

My guess for Redbeard would be 40-50. As for the redcoats/bluecoats, they're all 20+. they have no scars or anything! :pir-classic:

interesting topic, I would say that when I was 6 Redbeard was in charge and he looked about 45 so now that im 24 he must be about 63 (its time for him to retire) Broadside I would place at 35 (now 53) and Woodhouse at 30 (now 46, given his two year time delay), Bo,sum Will was sadly killed escaping the brig (which is way he's not in any other sets) and he was only 16 at the time.

King Kahuku is immortal (hence the mask) so he has no age (or is over 5000 years old), and Iron hook is probably an Evil twin of Redbeard so his age is identical (63 now)

Whereas Brickbeard (I assume thats the new guy from 2009) looks alot younger, at about 35 and as that was only a few years ago he is now only about 37 whereas the Governer looks well into his 50's (I would say 58) and as thats been a few years he's probably 60 now.

All bluecoat and redcoat troops from the 90s are 20 (they are a clone army) and the lieutenants are all about 28.

eyepatch pirate is 23 (its been a rough life) and the other one (also a huge clone army) is about 30.

I like this topic :pir_laugh2:

cheers

The problem for me is that my notions of age changed as I grew older. For example, when I was a kid, 40 seemed a respectable middle age, while today (at 23), it doesn't seem so old. Anyway, here's how I see them now:

for the Imperials:

- Broadside and Woodhouse in their late 40s or early 50s

- their Lieutenants in their early 40s

- the troops in their 20s, possibly early 30s for those lucky enough to survive that long

- the new governor around 60

for the Pirates:

- Redbeard, Ironhook and Brickbeard in their 40s

- the 2 original pirates with eyepatches, as well as the old and new wenches, around 30

- the original nd new moustached pirates, around 40

- the other 2 new pirates, around 30

- bosun Will in his 20s

for the Islanders, Kahuka in his late 40s or early 50s, the others in their 20s-30s.

interesting topic, I would say that when I was 6 Redbeard was in charge and he looked about 45 so now that im 24 he must be about 63 (its time for him to retire) Broadside I would place at 35 (now 53) and Woodhouse at 30 (now 46, given his two year time delay), Bo,sum Will was sadly killed escaping the brig (which is way he's not in any other sets) and he was only 16 at the time.

I think that time in the LEGO universe flows about as fast as in some comic book series. I mean Peter Parker is currently still less than 30 years old, despite the fact that Spider-Man comics have been around for almost 50 years now, so technically he should be about 70. :pir_laugh2:

Alhough I must admit that some of my Redbeard minifigs have aged significantly over the years, so perhaps I'm wrong. :pir-classic:

It would be interesting to see how long some real-life 18th century historical figures lived for comparison. Life expectancy was shorter then...50 or 60 would have been very old indeed for a pirate or soldier.

TC

It would be interesting to see how long some real-life 18th century historical figures lived for comparison. Life expectancy was shorter then...50 or 60 would have been very old indeed for a pirate or soldier.

TC

The thing is, infant mortality is included in life expectancy, and as infant and child mortality was much much higher in the past, that was what drove life expectancy down. Otherwise I think that once someone lived past childhood (meaning they were a strong and healthy individual), they had a decent chance of reaching 70 at least, and much more if they were an aristocrat with good access to healthcare, which the admirals and governors usually were.

Of course, booze, tropical diseases and accidents probably meant that soldiers and sailors in the tropics didnt live as long as they could have...

IIRC, "longevity" is the term meaning how long a person/population lives, irrespective of childhood mortality.

EDIT: Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the matter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_variation_over_time

Edited by Ardelon

I think that time in the LEGO universe flows about as fast as in some comic book series. I mean Peter Parker is currently still less than 30 years old, despite the fact that Spider-Man comics have been around for almost 50 years now, so technically he should be about 70. :pir_laugh2:

Alhough I must admit that some of my Redbeard minifigs have aged significantly over the years, so perhaps I'm wrong. :pir-classic:

That coule be quite true but to me they age as I age (its the only way I can handle getting older :pir_laugh2: ) I would hate to think one day when I am in my 50's that I am older than RedBeard or Ironhook, Im already sad that Im too old to be a Redcoat or Bluecoat (I could be a lieutenant though).

Like with the comic book world, to me those guys are all old or dead and any new stuff is just a dream thought up by companies to make money (hang on is that half right anyway :pir-sweet: ).