Siegfried

CONTEST: To sail the Technic sea...

before i think about my entry i will see something clear:

the original from the model must could swim.

it is not enough that the mod is using a medium (snow/Ice/steam) of water.

is this correct?

i'think you can use snow beacuse on the first page stands by idea's snowmobile

sorry for bad english

ok, i know that iam hairsplitting, but where is the border of the rules?

is every thing allowed what is using a watercooled engine in original?

if yes, we could build everything, except things with a aircooled engine. but i think the sense behind the rules say no

so i think it should be only allowed what could swim. amphibious or not.

Edited by efferman

My understanding is that it must involve moving water in some way - either moving through water; or making water move through it. Therefore a water wheel + mechanism could be considered acceptable - as would a boat / amphibeous vehicle. A snow cannon, if it also had a water pumping mechanism (Archimedes screw) could be an extrapolation of that. But why go for 'modern'? There are many excellent old water mechanisms which could be considered... a water clock? a Roman Water Technology. I remember a TimeTeam special (UK) about a dig in London where a Roman water pump shaft was found, complete with some original buckets and chain mechanism.... Using some of the old Dacta blue cogs would which look like old wooden cogs (except for the colour) would also add to the authenticity.

Anyway there go my ideas for the competition - as I definitely wont have time for implementing them. So let someone else fly... :cry_happy:

Well shot me :bonaparte:,why can't people just use common sense a bit more,people who want to take part should make something that you can expect to find in the water, would hope that entrys that use water in a differant way other that a water craft of some sort will be weeded out.Obviously thay should be lee way for entrys but not too much.

ok, i know that iam hairsplitting, but where is the border of the rules?

is every thing allowed what is using a watercooled engine in original?

I'll tell you what, if you can build a LEGO engine that is water cooled it's OK... :laugh: OK, that's taking it too far.

Remember, 50% of the vote is panel based. Making a car for example and saying "it's water cooled" will just result in the panel disqualifying your entry. I'm looking for smart, not smarty-pants. :wink:

theoretically a fancy snow plough would be possible as well.

Yes, but it's hardly inventive.

My understanding is that it must involve moving water in some way - either moving through water; or making water move through it. Therefore a water wheel + mechanism could be considered acceptable - as would a boat / amphibeous vehicle. A snow cannon, if it also had a water pumping mechanism (Archimedes screw) could be an extrapolation of that.

Pretty much, but I can't see many people voting for a pump.

Obviously thay should be lee way for entrys but not too much.

Exactly. The rules are loose to encourage interesting entries... thus if an entry is interesting it'll stand a decent chance.

Siegfried, are you wanting us to post pictures of our builds as we go along or will that give away too many ideas? or are you just wanting to see the finished models nearer to the end of the contest, what i have created now will be taken apart and rebuilt numerous times before i am happy with it as i try different ideas, just thought folks might like to see the progression of ideas, i suppose i could take pictures/video now and present it with my completed entry at the end?

Siegfried, are you wanting us to post pictures of our builds as we go along or will that give away too many ideas?

Post it when you're ready... but... if your idea is really good but someone else thinks of it then it'll look like you stole the idea. It's risky either way... sorry! :laugh:

(What you could do is PM me an early image and I'll use that to prove to the Meister's later on that you were first. :wink: )

First of all, excuse my English! I will make extensive use of Google translator! :tongue:

second: I am new to the forum and I take this opportunity to greet you all!

I have an idea to work on, but I have a little problem ... I don't have all the pieces to make it ! :cry_sad:

right now I'm designing with SR3D, but I suppose that is not accepted ... :blush:

my idea is a bit 'crazy maybe, but I think it is just as original :laugh:

in case you can not find all the pieces, I could present the project in SR3D and show the proper functioning of the parts "critical" ?

Sigfried, can i send to you a PM for advice on the project and suggested that it should continue or give up ?

Regards Andrea

Edited by Zaiocrit

Welcome to Eurobricks Andrea

I don't think that will be allowed. SR3D shows how something is intended to work, but it does not show if it actually will work. Only a real life model could show that. I appriciate that, whilst video footage is not a requirement (unless I missed something), a CAD drawing is effectively the same as a still photo in showing the judges weather or not something works in real life. Of course we must trust that the builder is honest and that the model does what they say it can, however not even the builder can know for sure that their model will work unless they build it.

Edited by allanp

Welcome to Eurobricks Andrea

I don't think that will be allowed. SR3D shows how something is intended to work, but it does not show if it actually will work. Only a real life model could show that. I appriciate that, whilst video footage is not a requirement (unless I missed something), a CAD drawing is effectively the same as a still photo in showing the judges weather or not something works in real life. Of course we must trust that the builder is honest and that the model does what they say it can, however not even the builder can know for sure that their model will work unless they build it.

my problem is the structure that form the subject

I have yet to actually do the practice tests on the "core", and I'm waiting for some pieces that I ordered on BrickList... but, If i demonstrate to you that the "core" it's functional with a minimal structure ? :tongue:

I got a PM from someone (no names) asking about 3rd party lights. While it's tempting to say yes, I'm leaving the rule as a 100% no to non-LEGO. IMHO once you start making exceptions, things get messy real fast. It's like the old "Brickarms==OK, M%g& Bl#ks==NO" one...

in case you can not find all the pieces, I could present the project in SR3D and show the proper functioning of the parts "critical" ?

I'm not accepting any digital entries. No exceptions. Sorry.

my problem is the structure that form the subject

I have yet to actually do the practice tests on the "core", and I'm waiting for some pieces that I ordered on BrickList... but, If i demonstrate to you that the "core" it's functional with a minimal structure ? :tongue:

The contest still has over a month left for build time.... and chances are I'll allow slight extensions to anyone who can send me photos of a mostly finished MOC.

The contest still has over a month left for build time....

Still plenty time to enter your mocs........

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Hang on a minute, on the first post it say's that 'Entries must be posted by midnight GMT, April 2nd, 2012'.Today is the 25th of February (well it is in Scotland/UK) that means that you have only 5 and1/2 hours left to enter your design.

And next month is March, not April! :sadnew:

Hang on a minute, on the first post it say's that 'Entries must be posted by midnight GMT, April 2nd, 2012'.Today is the 25th of February (well it is in Scotland/UK) that means that you have only 5 and1/2 hours left to enter your design.

Ever heard of March?

Opps,my birthaday is in March, i obviously don't want my birthaday this year.:wacko:

Corrected my post above.:tongue:

Thanks for the new title Siegfried.:thumbup::sadnew:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

[*]All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.

Does that mean we can't create our own sails?

Does that mean we can't create our own sails?

...so you're sure you can't use official ones? If that's the case then I'll allow an exception here... but be aware that come judging time you might be penalised for it. (But a Technic sailing ship would be pretty cool. :wub: )

If everything goes according to plan, my model will have 12 functions :grin:

There's only one little thing; I have to order some pieces on pab or BL, but I don't exactly know how much an which, untill I'm a little further with the moc, but maybe it's too late then to order something :tongue:

There's only one little thing; I have to order some pieces on pab or BL, but I don't exactly know how much an which, untill I'm a little further with the moc, but maybe it's too late then to order something :tongue:

Sounds good. In regard to the time, do remember this...

The contest still has over a month left for build time.... and chances are I'll allow slight extensions to anyone who can send me photos of a mostly finished MOC.

Can we sharpen the photos with Photoshop?

Sure you can. :sweet: Personally I rarely do any image enhancements... but that's just me. :laugh: