Sign in to follow this  
Bricktrix

MOC: GWR Castle Class

1small.jpg

Link to full Flickr gallery:

More or less got this finished today so thought I'd share here as I often forget to!

The model has working inside motion and working front valve actuators (infront of the piston boxes)

It started out life as a King Class, but after another trip to Pete Watermans to get the lining colours correct (as I couldnt for the life of me work out what was the correct colour from the books and DVD's I had on these!)it tuned out when put next to his O Gauge models that it was almost spot on size wise to a Castle Class, so I suitably changed everything that needed to be to match.

I've had it test running for a total of around 30 hours during the build proccess, pulling an 8 carriage rake and in that time only had 1 mishap of the front pony wheel bogie exploding (think it must have been loose when comitted to the track as never had the problem since) so fingers crossed, the front motion is causing no problems at all. as I suspected it would do after time :sweet:

No.... No... No. Raising the bar of excellence again; along with 'One' Mathis. Please DONT stop!

Fantastic. What more can be written? Dribble... Dribble.

And is there some stress on the boiler - it does not look to be horizontal?

Edited by roamingstudio

:sweet: ^ Thank you and no there is no stress on the boiler.

These engines have sloped boilers and I've replicated it with a mixture of this:

2-6-0 Standard 4MT Boiler design along with slightly offsetting the stud clutch from the dark green to the black smoke box. The black smokebox also being slightly angled on a single technic pin / plate

Excellent attention to details and colors. As usual a masterpiece from you.

Bricktrix,

you are building in another league - this is unbelievable. Nothing more to say. Thank you very much for sharing!

Regards,

Thorsten

Great job. Incredible attention to detail. I couldn't tell one type of steam locomotive from another, but I know a good build when I see one, and the ones coming from you tend to be just that :)

just showed my mother, and she honestly said she couldnt beleive it was lego,

its fantastic carl, you've raised the bar even higher...its hard to comprehend the amount of effort and thought invested into this model. simply amazing. :classic:

Gorgeous -- and it's great that you also provided pics of the underside and the technicy bits; I did notice some rather interesting ideas there. As Toastie said, your work seems to be in a class of its own, but sharing your insights is always a very nice gesture.

Very nice train. I have nothing to add that has not already ben said. Fantastic model, I wish I could build them like that.

:sweet: Thank you everyone for all the nice flattering comments.

I'm aware that bending and cutting some aerial parts along with the use of stickers isnt to everyones taste, so its nice to see these responses.

The builds are usually possible to make using standard parts, just not to the type of standard that I'm craving (i.e. I preffer thinner handrails to 3mm flex tube, etc) :wink: ...the "mods" are the icing on the cake to me to finish them off to my own standard.

With saying that, I've been holding off a while posting possibly my most detailed engine yet, as it does take the antenna mods to the extreme, but if you see the original proto they sort of "needed to be done"....this ones certainly not for the faint hearted but has been no.1 on my "to-do" list for about 5 years so had to get it done eventually.

Will post pics soon.