slovakiasteph

My First Modular MOC

indexed.gif B-OM-13A

Hi EBers,

I've been building this modular for a little over a week now and it's the first one I've built. Let me just say... modulars use A LOT of bricks! I had to order some extra yellow bricks just to get me through... and a lot of tiles. :laugh:

All three floors!

027.jpg

I like the first two floors a lot, but I'm least happy with the third-- I need to find some way to add interest/arches up there without it looking so middle eastern, which throws off the architectural balance of the rest of the building. (Okay, so I made up any architectural balance that's here-- I didn't use a specific style). But the top floor doesn't sit right.

Let's head into the first floor... the flower shop.

012.jpg

I don't even like flowers much... have been in a florist twice, I believe. But I needed something cheerful for the dark bley interior, so I thought flowers would work well!

Ah, a customer!

005.jpg

There's a toilet behind the little blue door... forgot to open it to show you.

008.jpg

010.jpg

Moving up to the second floor, the main floor of the apartment which holds a kitchen, dining area, and living room with an open floor plan.

019.jpg

The apartment owners own the whole building, including the flower shop. The woman downstairs just runs the place as the couple who live upstairs both have jobs as well.

Ben has a mate over after work...

014.jpg

The dining room table is made from a recycled crate.

016.jpg

In this picture you can see both of the lights... well, it's really one big unit.

017.jpg

Floor three... the bedroom.

026.jpg

Bed, lamp, artwork... and a plant shelf above the stairs.

021.jpg

The water feature... I had a desk there originally but decided this modern couple needed something special. There's also a dresser and plant.

024.jpg

From the back...

033.jpg

027.jpg

I won't show you the sides and top, but if you're interested, there are pics in my Brickshelf gallery.

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome!

(Coming up next... a Greek Revival modular, and I'm loving the way it's turning out...)

Can a moderator please change the subtitle? It's supposed to say "flower shop"-- didn't even notice that I'd written bookshop!

Edited by Phred

Nice first modular. I'm usually not a fan of yellow, but I actually like this one - the grey and black elements really even everything out. The interiors are great, too.

Can't wait to see the Greek Revival one you are working on - one of my favorite architectural styles.

Very nicely done!!!

I love your interiors and the water fountain definitely is an original and great design piece!!!

BRAVO!

Excellent modular 'slovakiasteph', great interior...wonderful tile floors and pretty flower shop too ! :sweet:

Keep up the cool work and Brick On ! :classic:

That's nicely done. I prefer the interiors over exteriors. I like how you tiled the florist's. The coloured pattern makes it more lively. And the water feature in the bedroom is surprising. All in all, congratulations for your interior design. It's hard to combine so many things in such a little space. Well done! :thumbup:

Thank you, everyone!

To those who commented on the color: I had a lot of yellow bricks so knew a building needed to be built out of those. Yellow isn't my favorite color either; however, gold and dark grey are one of my favorite color combinations, so I thought maybe I could make it work.

I decided on the tile floor pattern for the florist shop because it needed livened up with the dark grey walls; after the flowers and the tile, though, I don't even notice the walls!

I think I'd probably like it more if it were another colour, but apart from that I like it, and particularly the interiors. The tiled ground floor is very nicely done, colourful and cheerful :)

I really like this modular! Nice concept, flowers shop and residence. The color reminds me of things I've seen in Italy.

Looking forward to your next.

Andy D

A bit off topic perhaps, your title says bookshop, but there's no books. :sceptic: So I hope your next modular will be a bookshop. :sweet:

Loving the MOC, Slovokiasteph!

I know how hard it is to work with yellow, it being a primary colour, and all. :wacko: Overall, great job! AMAZING interior. My favourite part is the rainbow & white first floor. On the roof, maybe make the top into a 4th part, up the architectural greebles, and have it sloping toward the back. Only a suggestion, though!

Great job!

Dakar out.

I think it helps to have a border made of a more neutral color when building with a color that stands out as much as yellow. The exterior is very bold. I like it. However, the interior clearly steals the show in my opinion. Show us a pic of the toilet!

Very well done. :classic:

I never even thought about yellow being difficult to work with when I built this. :classic: Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm definitely a fan of the interior most, though.

Now, where should the building go? Trying to decide if it looks best by the fire brigade or green grocer (my only two modulars at the moment, although I'm bricklinking cafe corner).

004.jpg

009.jpg

I think I like it next to the FB best because of the red/yellow contrast, but the rooflines are very similar.

Can't wait to show you my next modular! Waiting for some key bricks to get in and have been playing around with possible roofs.

Also-- I thought I had asked this before but don't see it anywhere. Can one of the moderators change the title to "flower shop," please? Not even sure why I wrote book shop. :wacko:

Great work. Love te way you used the bricks (colours) that you had. The interieur looks very nice. The bed is the best. Looking forward to your next modular.

By the way. The yellow house looks definitly best next to FB.