1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Bat-tastic!
    • Batty
    • Baverage
    • Below Baverage
    • Joel Shumacher's Batman & Robin

approvedgold_v2_62.png

front.jpg

As much as I've been a fan of the licensed series from LEGO, the comic nerd in me is a little deeper than the Star Wars nerd in me, and is certainly deeper than the Harry Potter nerd in me. So, the Super Heroes line is quite a kick for me, though to be honest, I'm looking a lot more forward to the Marvel line. Still, somewhere between 1986 and 1991, I was a Batman reader, and have enjoyed the exploits of the Dark Knight. And I wasn't paying attention when the first Batman line came out, so it's great to get a second chance at it. This is one of the key mid-priced sets for early 2012, so lets see how it is :sweet:

Set#: 6864

Name: The Batmobile and Two-Face Chase

Theme: Super Heroes

Year: 2012

Pieces: 531

Minifigs: 5, Batman, Two-Face, two henchmen, police officer

Price: 5,880 yen

MSP: U.S.$49.99, £49.99

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The box

I like the box art. The Super Hero font is really DC looking, and I wonder if they'll keep it when the Marvel line comes around. I'm a little irritated at the almost comic sans font in the lower left, if only because it looks like the kind of font a non-comic reader would associate with comics, but it's fair enough. I doubt most buyers will be comic readers. The TV shows and movies have a lot more impact. The concept for the picture is a little funny, since it seems that Batman is there before the crime was committed. All the same, it's professional.

686401.jpg

An interesting point is that they are selling a version of Batman that was retired a long time ago. The Batman logo was the bat on yellow for a few decades, but hasn't been around for a while. It was taken out during the Frank Miller Batman issues, and disappeared in the 2000's (check out a neat history of Bat-costumes here :wink: )

The back isn't particularly clever. At this point, I barely consider flick-fire missiles a feature. I've heard the collectible mini-figure series seven comes with flick-fire missiles. Anyway, the winch on the truck twists.

686402.jpg

The booklets

Two books and a comic. The comic is well done enough. As people who've encountered me enough on his site might know, I take comics pretty seriously, so it seems like a pastiche of comics rather than a genuine one, but, like the font, it's to be expected. I don't buy LEGO for high quality comics.

686403.jpg

The Build

There are four bags. Two are for the Batmobile, one for Two-Face's jeep, and the last for the bank. I don't have a lot of building time these days, so I appreciate numbered bags.

686404.jpg

There's a sticker sheet. I can understand that it's pretty necessary in a set like this, particularly with the orange and purple pieces.

686405.jpg

Part One - The Batmobile

I'm not so thrilled about this figure's design. The first thing is the black Batman costume, which is pretty much a Tim Burton 1989 thing. As a kid, I got why a black Batman suit was "realistic," but as an adult, I realize that you can't go into a Batman story asking for realism, and enjoy the more comic-booky suit. But, I know they can't throw the same costume into every set, so it's fine. The second thing though is a bigger design complaint, the white band on the head. I'd rather the eyes were built into the mask or something. Since this is basically the same as the last series of Batman figures, I'm sure TLG had a lot of prototypes before settling on this one, and I assume they were all less desirable. Still, this head is useless without the Bat-mask, so I don't know why they bother with the eyes.

686406.jpg

Smiling, cocky Batman. Yeah, okay :sceptic: This is the back of the figure, and showcases Batman's rippling Bat-muscles.

686407.jpg

That's an intimidating mini-fig...

686408.jpg

And he knows it.

686409.jpg

This is him next to one of the old Batmen I bought off of Bricklink. There is certainly more definition to his face now, cheek bones and the like. It's not a huge difference, but I'm happy that they're always adding a little more detail and styling where they can. The belt is a little bolder than before too :thumbup:

686410.jpg

I think it's a little funny, but he comes with a batarang in this and other sets. It's a "comic" image of Batman.

686411.jpg

I photographed the build of the Batmobile at every tenth step or so. It's a very dense creation. I've gotten very used to 'shell' style LEGO builds, so when I see a creation that is pure brick, at this point, I'm thrown off.

The innards are very patriotic American colors.

686412.jpg

The pieces stack up, and the sleek little vehicle comes together.

686413.jpg

The flick fire launcher is added early on, and set at a peculiar angle.

686414.jpg

There are a lot of tile pieces, and in a few places, they are hard to put in. It was an interesting build.

686415.jpg

I'm guessing because of this, a tile remover is thrown into the set. I've never seen that before.

686416.jpg

As we go along, the Bat-exhausts and Bat-flames are added.

686417.jpg

Around the 75% point, Batman himself enters the vehicle.

686418.jpg

Some fins and wheels later, and we have a Batmobile. More in the final part of the review.

686419.jpg

Part two- Two Face's jeep

Two-Face and his two thugs. I find it amusing that they based one on Eurobricks' own moderator, Stash2Stixx. Congratulations! :wub: They come with one of the new LEGO crowbars too. This is a fantastic piece, that you should get a hold of any way you can. It is designed to remove pieces, and is crucial for disassembling large SNOT-builds. It's my favorite piece of 2011 :wub: :wub: :wub:

686420.jpg

Two color printing on these guys. Again, it's a "comic" choice to have them all in orange and purple, rather than in other Two-Face designs, like black/white or something more tasteful. I'd be more satisfied with that, but I have to accept I'm not the target audience. I would have really liked Two-Face to have come with a second face print, something more fun. One of the things I like about Two-Face is his capacity for giddiness. When that coin turns up good, Two-Face needs to smile!

686421.jpg

Two-Face comes with his coin, which is a little abstract looking. Coins are not the sort of thing that LEGO can do well.

686422.jpg

This vehicle is not particularly surprising. It seems pretty much like a number of other LEGO vehicles from the past, except being split into two colors.

686423.jpg

I may just be imagination-deficient, but I doubt these pieces will become MOC favorites either.

686424.jpg

It comes together well enough, no complaints. More views at the end!

686425.jpg

Part Three- The Bank

I have to (stupidly) confess, I didn't even see the bank on the box when I bought this. I thought it was just two vehicles. About halfway through building the jeep, I realized there was a whole other bag. This one isn't as deep as the other two are, but it's not a throw-away build either.

So, this comes with a cop. I quite like this outfit. A lot of LEGO police officers are dressed in black, so it's nice to see one done in blue :wub:

686426.jpg

The bank is fairly bare-bones. A computer from 1980, a safe platform, that's about it.

686427.jpg

The bank has a nice door that is new for me, sectioned in three parts.

686428.jpg

In the back, a safe is dropped in. The last safe I saw was from an Agents set, and I think this compares well.

686429.jpg

The Finished Product

So, as a nearly lifelong comic fan, I have to say I was fairly pleased to hold this build. There is no true Batmobile. It changes from decade to decade, and from media to media. This strikes me as an 80's-90's design. I think the fins could be more elegant, but I like the sleekness overall. In particular, I love the inner slopes from the front wheels. It really gives the vehicle a low-to-the-ground feel.

686430.jpg

The flames at the back are a real Tim Burton addition to Batman, as far as I can remember.

686431.jpg

It's cool, for sure.

686432.jpg

The silhouette of the Batmobile is pretty hard to do in LEGO, since the minifigs are stocky. So, the Batmobile is a little stocky. Slightly longer, slightly narrower, and it would be perfect.

686433.jpg

The Two-Face jeep is competently done, but it wouldn't seem out of place in the Dinosaurs line. It doesn't have a lot of character, in my opinion.

686434.jpg

The two-color motif is hard to perfect too. The stickers help, but it doesn't look that schizophrenic.

686435.jpg

The winch is a little chubby too.

686436.jpg

The bank is quite good, for the size. The little pillars, the ornamentation, it's good :sweet:

686437.jpg

On the side, we have the action part. Twist that piece and...

686438.jpg

BOOM! the window falls over. Must be shatter-proof glass.

686440.jpg

As Two-Face's crew takes the safe away, the guard certainly questions the logic of placing a safe at the window of the bank :look: Unfortunately, the guard has only one face, and that one doesn't show either surprise or disappointment.

686441.jpg

The Final Verdict

686442.jpg

Design: 8/10 The Batmobile is very well done, the jeep is truly adequate, and the bank is good for its size.

Build: 8/10 There are some interesting aspects to it, though I don't think I was schooled at any point. The two other Super Hero sets I built, the Catwoman and Lex Luthor sets, both had more enlightening techniques on display. But, I didn't find the build boring or repetitive.

Playability: 9/10 I always score higher for sets that have a built in narrative for an action set. As is, the set has targets, motives, a story. The play features are a little weak, which keeps it from having a perfect score.

Minifigures: 9/10 I think these are really good! I like the cop a lot, and the henchmen both have their own faces. Most have back printing as well. The less than perfect score is mostly because Two-Face should have two faces! And the orange-purple suits really aren't that useful outside of a Two-Face narrative.

Price: 8/10 It was a decent price considering what licensed sets are selling for these days. The Batmobile is surprisingly dense, so it was definitely in line with what I've paid for other series. It actually seems like a bit of value compared to Star Wars, Pirates or Harry Potter.

Overall: 8/10 This is a decent set. If it was year three or four of Batman, I'd probably knock it down a rank or two, but for February 2012, this is a solid set to buy. But, it's a set that isn't really applicable to MOCs or expanded builds, so it seems to be suited to Bat-Fans. I would love to see TLG respect the characters to the extent that the Batman Animated Series did in the 90's and the Arkham games did recently, which both were incredibly successful doing so. This set is sort of like a Cliff's Notes of the comic, playing up the COMIC aspect. Personally, if I were a kid, I'd like the comic-based stuff that wasn't so goofy (like orange-purple suits), but I'm not a kid. All the same, that's a gripe, and not a serious complaint. Maybe if the Super Heroes series is successful, there will be a little more true comic set :sweet:

Great review! :thumbup:

I was wondering if a review of this set was going to pop up.

This is definitely one of the best sets in the line.

EDIT: Which henchman is based on Stash2Stixx?

Edited by Mr_Malfoy

Nice set, and very detailed pictures. Wish I could enjoy this set right now. I am still waiting for my order to arrive, can't wait!

Great to see you back in the reviewing scene def! Aside from the usual RA-quality aspects of this review, I really liked your informative bits of trivia coming from the comic-book fan in you. :thumbup:

When these DC sets first came out here in SG, I only planned on getting one Batman set and I had three choices: the Catcyle set, Batwing set and this one. I passed on the Catcyle since I only wanted the black Batman, and between the two I chose the less expensive Batwing set over this one. For some reason, I'm a bit attached to the previous 7781 Batmobile set which I find far more superior than this. The old Batmobile is better, sleeker; I prefer the old goon van vs. this cartoony jeep; the old Two-Face is better than this version IMO; and I can certainly live without that Bank structure which is an unnecessary part of a purchase for me. I would've wanted this to be the perfect chance to get an official LEGO Batmobile after missing getting 7781, but the overall design didn't live up to my expectations so I'll just probably MOC one for myself.

Wonderful Review! Though I own the original Batmobile, I'll be picking this up soon. I'm a sucker for Two-Face. :wub:

Def, excellent review! Thank you for taking your time to do up this insightful review to share with us. I find this set pretty appealing, but I wasn't too excited about Two-Face new colour's scheme. I still prefer the original, but that's probably me viewing him in poor taste in his fashion sense. :laugh:

Overall, I will think I want to get this set, mainly for the batmobile and perhaps the miniature bank.

Interesting set but not really enough in it to make it worth a buy (given that I bought the previous Two-Face set)

Thanks for the review, very detailed. I think this is the strongest of the first wave of Superheroes - and probably the only Batman set that looks as good (if not better) than the original version released under the LEGO Batman theme (the Batwing and Batcave don't look nearly as good as their original coutnerparts IMO). I'm not mad about the colour scheme of Two-Face and his thugs, but they are must-have minifigs for me.

So, the Super Heroes line is quite a kick for me, though to be honest, I'm looking a lot more forward to the Marvel line.

I almost stopped reading right there...

But I'm glad I didn't!

Great review. I really like how you took it from a Bat-Fan perspective.

I'd love to compliment you on your review, def. And though I do not agree with several of your conclusions, I admire the work you've done.

I won't be commenting on the set itself. Too much on my mind about it now.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Thanks for the review 'def', I have this set on lay-by at Target so reading the review pointed out a few things, the plus's....figures, the okay's....vehicles but the negative's......ouch, the bank....hello, Spiderman early 00's....too TownJr-ish.

Oh, well what do you expect when all the money gets spent on the figures and Bat-mobile eh ? :laugh:

Bat-brick On Bat-review On 'def' ! :grin:

Thanks for the review, def! It was fun and interesting to read, even though I'm not interested to buy the set. I've never been a fan of DC/Marvel comics so this line doesn't have much to offer me.

But I like the coin, it looks like a fun piece. Can you read what it says on it?

Thank you Def for providing us with a brilliant review of this set. :thumbup:

I would rate this set at a solid 3.5/5. The "Batmobile" model in this set I prefer over the previous version from set 7781, which I always felt was too long. However, my personal favorite rendition of Batman's personal ride would have to be the Bat-Tumbler, which I do hope they decide to remake as well. The small bank I find is nice and I am happy they put a civilian aspect in this set, perhaps we will be seeing more of this in future sets. The parts selection overall is good, I really like the flame pieces. As for the minifig's, well I am not a fan of the purple and orange used for Two-Face but I understand why they used it. Batman is a nice minifig, but I do prefer the SDCC version, which I believe was inspired by the recent films.

Edited by Macoco

Fabulous review def! I really like this set. The vehicles are nice, but that bank is a real bonus. I can't wait for the Marvel stuff, considering how good the first wave has been :thumbup:

I'd love to compliment you on your review, def. And though I do not agree with several of your conclusions, I admire the work you've done.

I'd be interested to hear it. I have no doubt that you're a bigger Bat-fan than I am. I was ultimately an X-Men fan at heart.

But I like the coin, it looks like a fun piece. Can you read what it says on it?

In comics, Two-Face has a two-faced ( :wink: ) coin, with one side scratched out. The one in this set is only one-sided, but you can see the profile of a woman on it if you look closely.

Here is someone's model of it, a little more detailed than the LEGO one :wink:

TDKdvdWalmartCoin.jpg

My little brother just got this set for his birthday and I had just gotten the Batmobile from it last Monday. I was quite happy with the Batmobile when it came, and I must admit that the rest of the set is great too. You've made a fantastic review and I love the inclusion of the new brick separator here. :thumbup:

Thanks for the beautiful review, this set does little to interest me, Two-Face is the only standout figure and you can get Batman from other much better sets, never been a fan of this version of the batmobile (can't get the tumbler out of my head)

Seems to a set with a lot of play features with 2 vehicles more suited to kids, for me will most likely pass on this one

This is the only Superhero set i have so far (it won't be my last though :laugh: ) and I must say this is a great set. I seem to be in the minority, but I actually prefer this Batmobile to the previous ones. This is the smallest of the bunch, and next to other regular city cars, it's still a lot bigger, but it looks like it belongs. Two Face also looks a lot nicer in person I think. I was unsure when I saw the colour scheme, but it works. The bank is also pretty cool as an add on, but it needs a bit of MODing in the long run. Well worth the buy imo

Good review too, I think you captured everything really well, especially how dense the Batmobile is. I was shocked too.

Nice review! I love the new henchmen!

Two-Face henchman aren't too bad but pale in comparison to the new Joker henchmen, the printing on the face and body are to die for :wub:

Thanks for the review, you show how much this set has to offer for what is probably the best price point in the whole range.

I hope however this isnt the last batmobile set, there are many more vastly different and iconic designs that could be attempted. The most popular could well be the one from the 60's show. I'm not sure if that is copyrighted elsewhere in any way though? It had the flames coming out the back before Keatons did though.

Current project with my kids is to attempt one from the comics that I can best describe as a 30s/40s Chicago gangster type car with a bat shaped fender on the front. I'll try and find an online image.

I hope however this isnt the last batmobile set... The most popular could well be the one from the 60's show. I'm not sure if that is copyrighted elsewhere in any way though?

Mattel currently has licensed the George Barris' 60s TV Batmobile and others for their Hot Wheels line. I'd like to have a 60s style Batmobile to go with my blue/gray Batman.

Thanks for the great review. I like the reviewed Batmobile and hope it is available in a smaller set in the future.

This is my first Superhero set (I was always more of a Judge Dredd fan) and I have to say it is pretty good, despite the fact I'm not a big fan of "vehicle" based sets. The batmobile just looks the part, although it is probably a bit too big to sit comfortably next to standard Lego City vehicles, and the bank and safe are nice as well. Two-face's truck is a bit garish but does the job (I probably would have preferred the Joker but had to get my hands on the batmobile).

It was a pretty interesting build too, which again is not always the case when constructing vehicles.