DaddyDeuce

Compatibility Between RC and Power Functions?

Is there any compatibility between RC and Power Functions?

For example, can the Power Functions remote talk to the IR receiver in the RC train base plate (#2016)? Conversely, can the RC remote talk to the Power Functions IR tower?

All I've been able to come up with from looking at pictures is that the RC base 2016 should be able to send power to PF motors with an appropriate adapter cable, but I'm wondering if there is more compatibility than just that.

Is there any compatibility between RC and Power Functions?

For example, can the Power Functions remote talk to the IR receiver in the RC train base plate (#2016)? Conversely, can the RC remote talk to the Power Functions IR tower?

All I've been able to come up with from looking at pictures is that the RC base 2016 should be able to send power to PF motors with an appropriate adapter cable, but I'm wondering if there is more compatibility than just that.

Unfortunately that is the limit of the compatibility out of the box..... Of course someone very clever may be able to modify the recievers and transmitter to work both ways, though I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet.....

The remote of one cannot talk to the receiver of the other one. They use different protocols. In my mind, that's actually an advantage since the RC channels don't use up the Power Function ones. Theoretically, you could run six different trains at the same time with the two remotes. With the conversion cable, you can run any motor with any system, although with the RC base it requires a lot of cables. The RC base is also very limiting for MOCing locomotives.

Dan-147

The remote of one cannot talk to the receiver of the other one. They use different protocols. In my mind, that's actually an advantage since the RC channels don't use up the Power Function ones. Theoretically, you could run six different trains at the same time with the two remotes. With the conversion cable, you can run any motor with any system, although with the RC base it requires a lot of cables. The RC base is also very limiting for MOCing locomotives.

Dan-147

or 9 trains, 3 on the rc and 2 on each function of each channel on the PF, one on the left wheel and one on the Right wheel, tho. this maybe less if you wanna use lights, opening doors or point switches with the second function of a particular channel. :thumbup:

or 9 trains, 3 on the rc and 2 on each function of each channel on the PF, one on the left wheel and one on the Right wheel, tho. this maybe less if you wanna use lights, opening doors or point switches with the second function of a particular channel. :thumbup:

You mean 11., 8 PF (4 channels times 2 connections) plus 3 RC.

I haven't seen any direct compatibility of RC and PF. However, TechnicBricks has some additional information involving NXT: "

John Hansen together with Jason Railton, adapted the NBC and NXC API functions for the HiTechnic IRLink device, to support the newly documented Power Function modes as well as the RC Train IR protocol. This way with a NXT and an IRLink sensor, it is possible to make use of all modes/commands that LPF protocol allows (Single Pin timeout or continous, PWM,...)."

See lugnet for more information. I guess you can basically do this with any programmable/universal remote control, you just sample the IR signals of RC or PF remotes (I haven't tried it, please confirm if successful)

I've tried Bob Kojima's RCX solution (bong69, see bottom of the page) with some mixed success. The RC receiver was working but I couldn't figure out the whole programing.