Sign in to follow this  
gherkin

REVIEW: 4433 Dirt Bike Transporter

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Fancied treating myself today, so went out and brought the new Dirt Bike Transporter (4433) and Octan Fuel Tanker (3180). As a I couldn't find a review on the Dirt Bike Transporter I thought I would give it ago. Its my first one and quite annoyingly I dropped my proper camera which turns out to now be broken, so unfortunately had to use my camera phone. Anyhow here goes:

Dirt Bike Transporter

Set 4433

Release year: 2012

RRP: GBP 14.99 / USD 19.99

# of parts: 201

# of figures: 2

Links

Brickset

Lego Shop

Promotional Image

4433-1.jpg

Lego Shop Summary:

Drive to the big event with the tough Dirt Bike Transporter!

Let’s race! The riders have arrived at the LEGO® City dirt bike event of the year. Unload the dirt bikes, tune them to perfection and ride to victory! Includes 2 racer minifigures.

Includes 2 racer minifigures

Features 2 dirt bikes and flip-down ramps

Accessories include tools, extra tire, cap, helmet and flags

Race the dirt bikes to victory!

Measures over 11” (29cm) long

The Box

The size of the box in comparison to what was inside was that bad for Lego standards.

Front

imag0044.jpg

Back

imag0045.jpg

Side

imag0046.jpg

The Contents

Upon opening the box there were 2 standard bags (including 2 bags for the little pieces - 1 in each), 2 instruction manuals and a sticker sheet (mine was somewhat curled up)

imag0019.jpg

Random pages from Instruction Manuals

imag0020.jpg

Contents of Bag 1

imag0022.jpg

imag0024.jpg

A Few Stages of the vehicle build

imag0029.jpg

imag0030.jpg

imag0032.jpg

Completed Vehicle

imag0034.jpg

imag0035.jpg

The build wasn't too bad, quite straight forward, however there were a fair few little bits that needed sorting out. There were a couple of bits I hadn't seen before such as the motorcycle spare wheel (i hadn't done the bikes so the spare was a first). The smooth lights, I don't know why they don't include those as standard lights on vehicles, makes it look so more pleasing to look at IMO. Another thing that I find strange is the random placement of brick colours. For example there were two green bricks (although hidden) and the colour of the vehicle is grey, black and red. Disappointed there were no doors included.

Contents of Bag 2

imag0037.jpg

Again fair few bits in this bag including the second mini figure. This one is wearing glasses (not sure if they are sun glasses or not). The black circular thing contains the tools - an oil can, spanner, screwdriver, hammer, drill and wrench. A nice touch with these is that the white square things are drawers and the tools fit into them, except the oil can which doesn't really have a place to go except in the back of the vehicle when everything is being transported. Another nice touch is the lights on the ramps so that when they are in the up position the stop lights and indicators can be seen. Anyhow a couple of pics (got a bit carried away with this part and didn't take as many):

imag0038.jpg

imag0039.jpg

Final Product

Thought I would take a final couple of pictures with the rest of my City team:

imag0041.jpg

imag0043.jpg

Conclusion

I found this a quite enjoyable build and was quite surprised on how some pieces worked within the kit. Worked out to be 7.45p per piece, however due to my limited purchasing experience in Lego I couldn't tell you whether that is expensive or not. The two mini figures weren't anything two special - if you have the power boat transporter, they are the same torsos but the faces a slightly different. The helmet visors I haven't seen before and quite liked those and the tool drawers were just ace.

Design - 9/10, very well designed IMO with some very nice touches

Playability - 9/10, you get a jeep, a trailer and two off road motorbikes (plus 2 mini figs) so from a childs point of view I would say they could have a good time with this kit

Build - 7/10, wasn't too technical however there were alot of little bits

Parts - 5/10, a couple of bits I haven't seen before (although you guys might so this could be different for other people)

Price - 9/10, I didn't think it was to unreasonable for effectively 3 vehicles and 2 mini figs

Overall 39/50

Hope the above wasn't too bad and apologies for the quality of photographs.

Please resize your images to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels per the site guidelines. Thanks.

Please resize your images to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels per the site guidelines. Thanks.

Apologies for that Rick, all done now :)

Thanks 'gherkin' for this review, I already have one of those sets and I too was impressed by the design of the 4x4...though you forget to show the rear of it with the back hatch up. :wink:

A plain white background would help the photos and final shots not including those different vehicles - nothing to do with the set directly that is. :wink: (Things I have learnt in the review academy.)

Anyway, good review 'gherkin' and Brick On Review On ! :classic:

Thanks 'gherkin' for this review, I already have one of those sets and I too was impressed by the design of the 4x4...though you forget to show the rear of it with the back hatch up. :wink:

A plain white background would help the photos and final shots not including those different vehicles - nothing to do with the set directly that is. :wink: (Things I have learnt in the review academy.)

Anyway, good review 'gherkin' and Brick On Review On ! :classic:

I did think about doing it just on its own but went with that direction, however will do that next time. Hopefully next time my camera will be up and running. Doing on my phone was a right royal pain in the backside. Thank you for the comments and i'll try and get it right for the next one ;)

You can be like yourstruly and join the academy to get skills up to scratch 'gherkin' ? :classic:

I might well have to do that. Give me something to do whilst away during the week :)

Nice review, 'gherkin'! :thumbup:

I always liked this set, but I don't think I would ever pick it up. To me, it's an improvement of the 2009 set Helicopter Transporter, in which it's cheaper and better looking.

I grabbed this set over the weekend. I got it mainly for the 4WD. The trailer should be carrying a hotrod or something :p

Very nice. I don't think I've seen a review of this yet. Can you show close up photos of the minifigs?

If you can wait until the weekend I'm afraid JackJonespaw I'll be able to get one up. I live away during the week (forces) so only get time at the weekends.

Nice review. I really like this set and can't wait to get it. I never understood why they use the odd colors in the building of the cars especially since they have say, a 1x4 light bley plate.

Nice review. I really like this set and can't wait to get it. I never understood why they use the odd colors in the building of the cars especially since they have say, a 1x4 light bley plate.

It's usually partly so that the parts you need are easier to find in a pile, and partly so that the parts stand out more in the instructions.

Anyway, great review! I'm not too keen on getting this set but I really like it, especially how well the new wheel wells work with those inverted slopes. Of course, it doesn't fit my image of an "ideal" LEGO vehicle since it doesn't have opening doors. Then again my ideal LEGO vehicle at this scale would also have both a driver's seat and a passenger's seat, which TLG has never really done in a vehicle this size unless they were using the Adventurers seat piece, so I guess my hopes may be a bit high.

Thanks for the review

The SUV is nice and I like the dirt bikes. The regular figs are standard and some what boring. :tongue:

Hopefully guys when I get back on Friday I'll get some better final product pictures up. Thanks for the comments as well.