Bernd

House of Joy

indexed.gif B-OM-12C

I've build this one a time ago. Lego has given us such beautiful female minifigs, I just had to build something for them.

This is the "House of Joy". Enjoy!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

Three floors of fun:

06.jpg

The ground floor:

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

The first floor with a shower, Cleopatra and a geisha:

11.jpg

12.jpg

You have to wait for the good girls (like in real life)...

13.jpg

... but you can choose (not always like in real life :laugh: )

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

The second floor, the "Pirate's Cove" (for those you can afford not to choose):

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

On the roof:

22.jpg

I hope you enjoyed your visit and will soon come again.

23.jpg

Damn it!

Could someone official please correct the title. It's Joy not Loy of course.

Thanks.

Very nicely designed building and interior details 'Bernd'.

I do like the styles of the rooms, and the colours and details. The Egyptian and Japanese rooms are neat, sort of reminds me of a 'theme room' hotel. I also like the pub.

I can't say that I like the subject matter, though. I think you could have displayed this MOC with fewer implications about what it's about. Edit: looks like you took some advice and modified your post.

Locutis

Edited by Locutis

While I do not care for the theme of your MOC, and especially not the way you're making jokes about it, I'll ignore that for a second and focus instead on the building itself - which is probably why you posted it in the first place. There's a lot of great details on show, I particularly like the ground floor bathroom, the bar and the hot tub on the roof. And the exterior is also very nice.

Edit: Like Locutis, I'd like to point out that the text in the original post has been toned down quite a bit since I wrote this reply.

Edited by L@go

I wasn't really expecting this type of house when I opened up the thread. :laugh:

Ignoring the theme of the build, the actual build is incredible. The standard of detail is very high, down to the small things like the burglar alarm, the men playing cards etc right up to the standard of the shower, toilet, staircases etc. The themes for each room are very well done.

As for the theme...I guess these places exist, although I wouldn't know if your work is accurate or not! My biggest problem is the way you said, "Lego has given us such beautiful female minifigs, I just had to build something for them." There's a BILLION buildings that you could've made for beautiful minfigs; just because a woman is attractive, it doesn't make her only useful for sex (and/or a prostitute). You don't really expect to log onto a Lego forum and experience casual misogyny.

But your actual Lego techniques are fantastic.

Well, this is awkward... :sceptic:

Good building techniques. Mabye you could change it into some sort of theatre, with diferent shows, going on, in different floors, to make the subject matter less... controversial! I do like your FB mods, so good bulding work.

Dakar

Great MOC - I especially like the bar (where is the TV screen from?), the bathroom and the sofas/couches - so many nice details!

I, for one, have no problem with the subject matter, nor do I find it controversial. Its a fact of life, and as such it has its place among MOCs about the world around us. Grow up people! This is a site for adults. If this is controversial, what about the MOCs depicting violence? Nor is it disrespectful to women who work in such establishment - its their choice.

You guys really take this serious, don' you? Sorry, I really didn't and don't.

I guess I should build something else.

Tanks, military, or something medieval with decapitating, lots of blood and so on.

That obviously doesn't offend so many people. :laugh:

Actually I just put together some different rooms, that usually dont belong together. I could have made a museum or something like that, but then the bar and pool would have been pretty strange.

just because a woman is attractive, it doesn't make her only useful for sex (and/or a prostitute).

They don't have to be useful for sex, some of them like it themselves and don't have to be used or prostitutes. Let's say it's a swinger club. It's just roleplay.

Cheers to everyone and sorry to those offended.

Where are those 1 x 2 printed card tiles from?

Western

Edited by Bernd

They don't have to be useful for sex, some of them like it themselves and don't have to be used or prostitutes. Let's say it's a swinger club. It's just roleplay.

Cheers to everyone and sorry to those offended.

I truly wasn't that offended, I was just going along with the crowd.. :sceptic: I agree with ardleon. My French teacher told our class about when she was living in France, for her honeymoon, her professors put together enough money for her and her husband to go to a fancy resturant (Like over 500 euro!), and there there were some prostitutes dressed as geishas, with some wealthy clients! So, it may also depend on social stigmas based on where a person lives (People from France or Holland might not be as offended as Americans) as tto wether they would be offended.

Dakar

Edited by Dakar A

Well the subject matter doesn't bother me at all. The stories my friend and I used to make up in our first town would have definitely offended everyone here, it seems, but we had fun. Anyway, the building itself is great.

While I do not care for the theme of your MOC, and especially not the way you're making jokes about it, I'll ignore that for a second and focus instead on the building itself - which is probably why you posted it in the first place. There's a lot of great details on show, I particularly like the ground floor bathroom, the bar and the hot tub on the roof. And the exterior is also very nice.

Edit: Like Locutis, I'd like to point out that the text in the original post has been toned down quite a bit since I wrote this reply.

The text is the same. I just removed the link to the "adult" picture. You weren't forced to click it.

I'm staying away from the whole subject matter controversy and will just focus on the architecture, which is very well done. The exterior plays well with the official sets and for me has the right level of detailing. The interiors are great - I like that each room has a theme but again doesn't go over the top with them. While not the most glamorous thing in the world, that toilet stuck me as being one of the better ones I've seen.

The text is the same. I just removed the link to the "adult" picture. You weren't forced to click it.

I was under the distinct impression that the text had changed as well - if it hasn't I'm sorry about that. The adult picture was not what made me react, though, I thought that was quite funny in itself (especially the banana) - I'm not offended by sexual references - but in my opinion there's quite a difference between sex references and whore house references.

The thing I didn't like was your humorous talk about prostitution. It's probably true that there are women who willingly choose to sell themselves, but they are hugely outnumbered by the ones who do it because they see no other way to make money. So I don't believe it should be a joking matter. But that's my opinion. And another one of my opinions is that you could choose to focus on all the nice things that people (myself included) have said about your creation, instead of getting stuck on things that people clearly disagree with you on...

Yes Bernd, this was not a very Christian post, and nothing like this exists in the world today. Men don't pay for sex and women don't profit from men's stupidity, desperation, and hormones. Never have, never will. Ignore the issues, and don't discuss them, let alone with Lego as a media. Like the World Trade Center attacks, never happened.

Shame on you.

wah wah wah

Nice job, I like it. Doesn't compare to the BJ homosexual bust post, but pretty good!

Yes Bernd, this was not a very Christian post, and nothing like this exists in the world today. Men don't pay for sex and women don't profit from men's stupidity, desperation, and hormones. Never have, never will. Ignore the issues, and don't discuss them, let alone with Lego as a media. Like the World Trade Center attacks, never happened.

Shame on you.

wah wah wah

Nice job, I like it. Doesn't compare to the BJ homosexual bust post, but pretty good!

I said good things about the building, but I did indicated I did not like the subject matter in relation to the MOC. Yes, these things exist today, but that doesn't mean it should be "lifted up" or elevated. I'm not trying to start a fight, I was merely indicating my opinion regarding the subject matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of person who pickets and protests outside of the local strip club. What other people do is their business. The building itself is wonderful.

Locutis

I think you've completely missed my point, but never mind.

Jackson - there's nothing wrong with challenging something, or bringing a topic to the table for discussion...but my problem was with the language that was used alongside the pictures. The original poster has created a wonderful building, but looking at what's been posted, he hasn't done so to prompt discussion or to bring the issues into the spotlight. However, I can see the original poster's location is Germany; maybe there's a language barrier.

Excellent work. I love these MOCs that show the darker underbelly of society. Sex work will never be erased from the world by using the pathetically weak tool of "the law" (hasn't worked yet.) So might as well take the Dutch Model and make it safe, legal, and taxable. Bringing things into the light of day is probably the only way to help reduce the power of the truly repellent sides of this industry (trafficking, slavery, etc.)

Excellent creation 'Bernd', though this is one sub-theme Lego would never take on-board eh ? :laugh:

Two girls in one room.....hmm, choice eh ? :laugh:

The bathroom fixtures are great, very well constructed toilet....might look closer at it's design...mind if I take inspiration from it ? :wink:

Sadly I wont be able to make a open back type for my Oz town as it's a display ready layout and explaining to children what goes on in there might be a problem.....heck I'm going to have that talk to my soon to be 12 year old son ! :laugh:

Great work on that design, but the name of your er....house needs work though ? :wink:

Brick On.....with two girls ! :grin:

I've never been called an artist, but I believe Lego is an artistic medium. Some may dislike or like any art form based on tastes. The creator had an idea in his head and brought it to life through Lego, and did a great job. :thumbup:

Also, I like the back of your Fire Brigade, I might have to steal a few ideas from you...

I really like the MOC. Lots of good ideas here and well executed.

I read, and re-read and I could not find a direct reference to prostitution in the original post. There was some innuendo, but there has been innuendo on several MOCs posted on this forum.

To me it looks more like the geisha type thing than a house of prostitution. Maybe that is just my naivety and looking at the world through "rose colored glasses".

The building is great, the topic of prostitution, not so much. I don't want to get into a debate on prostitution, I am just looking at the MOC, and it is very good.

Andy D

Great building, I really like pool on the roof and room with Hawaian minifig - with legs from old Pirates Sets (my favourite model). Wooden stairs and floors looks really nice, also rooms look interesting (those different style in everyone, Egypt, Japanes, Pirates details). :sweet:

I find it funny that many will praise war mocs with blood, zombie mocs chasing people and eating their brains. I even remember not to long ago someone made a moc of the south with black mini figs picking cotton. Not one person raised an eye brow this topic gets frowned upon. All this on a supposed "adult" website. :wacko: Funny indeed..

I think the moc is fantastic. Kudos to the OP for bringing up such a "controversial" topic. The detail in the building is great, and i love the themes that each room carries within its self. The hot tub is genius. Here's hoping we see more mocs from you! :thumbup:

Nobody is saying the MOC is no good, and just because prostitution is real and were adults doesn't mean it needs to be brought up here. You could've made it many different establishments. A theme room hotel for instance, that way the bar and pool area would still fit. Maybe, though, like one said, the language barrier and social differences may be making the issue bigger.

The part I find moat ingenious is the take away back wall. Gives the playability and display piece all in the same basket, better.