Sign in to follow this  
Gioppa

Why Can't I View Member Profiles?

You could make it so in order to register they have to answer a few questions from the TOS. I know a few message boards that do that.

True, but again, this does not prove they understand it. It just proves they can read and regurgitate.

I know I have passed a few tests in school using the “cram to pass” method. Could not give you a single fact from those classes to save my life today. Reading and regurgitation does not mean reading, understanding, and following. :laugh:

True, but again, this does not prove they understand it. It just proves they can read and regurgitate.

They're saying that that would prove the member read it. If you ask the right questions you could probably make sure they understand it, but they're basically talking about making the people read it instead of skipping over it.

An interesting proposal. But how would that work for those who wish to join but have difficulty understanding English?

Then they may not be the best candidate for this forum, since out specifically says english will be the language used on this forum.

They're saying that that would prove the member read it. If you ask the right questions you could probably make sure they understand it, but they're basically talking about making the people read it instead of skipping over it.

But don't they already have to say they read it?

All I was trying to say was: no system will weed out stupidity and lazyness all together.

Make it as hard to become a member as you think will help. Trust me, I do understand and agree with the idea of trying to raise the bar. :classic:

But don't they already have to say they read it?

Yes, but that doesn't mean they did. They just say they did. It's like when you install software, and you have to click the box saying you agree to the legal stuff. Most people don't really read the whole thing. What LCM is proposing is asking questions about portions of the guidelines, so that in order to answer the questions correctly you'd have to at least read some of the rules.

What LCM is proposing is asking questions about portions of the guidelines, so that in order to answer the questions correctly you'd have to at least read some of the rules.

I do not have a problem with this idea. I would vote for it if asked. Like I said above. I like the idea of raising the bar and asking people to be responsable for what they agree to. :laugh:

Well, every little post count, but I was just surprised that I cannot look at my own profile, that is all.

10 posts does seem somewhat excessive. anyway what can you do...

10 posts does seem somewhat excessive. anyway what can you do...

Nothing as it's not going to be changed. Ten posts is less than I would have liked to be honest. It does however in many cases give us enough to tell several things;

Is the person a spammer?

Is the person actually here for LEGO?

Is the person not a person?

...all of these are useful to protect the general members from PM spam, profile spam and in some case link spam. The fact that a few members find this annoying for their first ten posts is nothing compared to the alternatives.

I agree with Siegfried. 10 Posts is not many at all. If you are really joining th eforum for the Lego and interaction with other AFOLs you will have 10 posts in no time. :classic:

I do not have a problem with this idea. I would vote for it if asked. Like I said above. I like the idea of raising the bar and asking people to be responsable for what they agree to. :laugh:

I don't see a public vote coming, and since nothing is changing, maybe we should table this discussion, since it isn't really going anywhere. Save this thread for the next one waiting to be merged to it, I say by the end of the month.

I don't see a public vote coming, ....

I did not mean to imply that there was a vote going to happen. I was just using a figure of speech. Sorry if I caused any confusion by doing so. :sad:

I have the same problem, I am attempting to trade away my minifigures for others I don't have. I think in this regard 10 posts are a bit much.

I have the same problem, I am attempting to trade away my minifigures for others I don't have. I think in this regard 10 posts are a bit much.

From your point of view yes, I can see that bring an annoyance, but from our standpoint, it's a minor inconvenience in a bigger effort to stop spammers from automatically spamming our valued members.

10 posts does not take long, especially if you're a LEGO fan, there is plenty to comment on here :wink:

From your pint of view yes, [...]

:drunk::tongue:

[...] it's a minor inconvenience in a bigger effort to stop spanners from automatically spanning our valued members.

I never really had trouble with spanners, they can even be useful to remove tiles from a base plate. :grin:

4006.gif

Although it could be that they got annoying recently as their monopoly on tile-removal is threatened by the crowbar.

92585.jpg

Thank you Rick :hmpf_bad:

Sorry, you asked for it. :wink:

I'd give you a spanner tag if I could. :grin:

Sorry, you asked for it. :wink:

I'd give you a spanner tag if I could. :grin:

I am the self proclaimed King of misspellings.

Hello. I'm new to the Eurobricks forums, and I face a bit of a problem. I can't view member profiles. Whenever I click on any link that can send me to the profiles, it takes me to a page that says "you are not permitted to view member profiles."

...lulwut?icon2.gif The stalactite is confused.

Edit by Hinckley: Reduced font size to "3" as required by Site Guiedlines. If you want to be a part of the community, check out our guidelines. Thanks. :wink:

Hello. I'm new to the Eurobricks forums, and I face a bit of a problem. I can't view member profiles. Whenever I click on any link that can send me to the profiles, it takes me to a page that says "you are not permitted to view member profiles."

...lulwut?icon2.gif The stalactite is confused.

Welcome to Eurobrick's, I suggest in the future you do a little searching before starting a new thread, the forum had been around for a while and most basic stuff has alway been addressed.

Also you'll find that typing in gigantic font won't get you an answer any quicker, you'll likely just piss someone off.

If you would have checked the Website & Forum area, you would have found thisTopic to answer your question.

Also did you realize you spelt your own name wrong in your post according to the way you created your account? Although the way you wrote it in your post is the correct spelling of the word stalactite.

Welcome to Eurobrick's, I suggest in the future you do a little searching before starting a new thread, the forum had been around for a while and most basic stuff has alway been addressed.

Also you'll find that typing in gigantic font won't get you an answer any quicker, you'll likely just puss someone off.

If you would have checked the Website & Forum area, you would have found thisTopic to answer your question.

Also did you realize you spelt your own name wrong in your post according to the way you created your account? Although the way you wrote it in your post is the correct spelling of the word stalactite.

Pffft. Wow--I am such a n00b! Thanks. But does this really piss you off? lol default_laugh_new.gif

But does this really piss you off? lol default_laugh_new.gif

Yes, it does. Please stop doing that, or you'll face unwanted attention.

I'll merge this thread into the 'I can't view profiles' topic. Please feel free to introduce yourself properly in another thread.

That goes for you, too, fallenangel. You should know better. And no mini-modding, please - use the report button.

I don't recall anything about this 10-post limit in any introductory topics, and I've actually read the stuff when joining. I think it should be mentioned somewhere, as a footnote in the member guidelines for instance. I was pretty confused about this myself when I was a complete newbie, and I almost asked the same question...