Sign in to follow this  
Dammtuss

MOC: HMS Vasa (F501)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This was my contribution to the Lego fan weekend that was held in Skaerbaek. The pictures below was taken a few days before the event (as you can see it wasn't a 100 % finished).I hope to be able to upload some pictures of the finished ship tomorrow. Meanwhile, I hope you'll enjoy these ones:

frigate20.jpg

frigate9.jpg

frigate19.jpg

frigate7.jpg

frigate17.jpg

frigate14.jpg

frigate4.jpg

frigate3.jpg

frigate13.jpg

frigate12.jpg

frigate2n.jpg

frigate1.jpg

frigate11.jpg

frigate10.jpg

frigate18.jpg

frigate20.th.jpg

frigate9.th.jpg

frigate19.th.jpg

frigate7.th.jpg

frigate17.th.jpg

frigate14.th.jpg

frigate4.th.jpg

frigate3.th.jpg

frigate13.th.jpg

frigate12.th.jpg

frigate2n.th.jpg

frigate1.th.jpg

frigate11.th.jpg

frigate10.th.jpg

frigate18.th.jpg

HMS Vasa (F501)

Named after the 17th century Swedish warship Vasa. Hopefully, HMS Vasa (F 501) will be more successful then the ship it’s named after. (Vasa sunk on its maiden voyage due to being top-heavy.)

The F500 class is classified as Guided Missile Frigate. They are capable of area supremacy – both for sea and air. It was important for the Swedish navy to have a versatile frigate, capable of performing many different types of missions. This is a first step to becoming a blue-water navy.

HMS Vasa (F501) is the first ship of eight in her class and will be the lead ship. This new class will be the backbone of the Swedish Navy for many years to come. It’s a new, state of the art frigate with a low radar cross section thanks to its sleek edges and superstructure. Its power plants have been mounted on anti-vibration mounts to reduce the noise and make them less detectable by submarines. To improve the survivability if hit by a torpedo/anti-ship missile, it’s made up of six waterproof sections – so if there is a breech in the hull the damaged section can be cut off. It can afford to lose two of them, and still be buoyant (although heavily crippled).

As a measure to reduce the operational cost, the crew is reduced with about one third compared to other frigates. The ship carries two 7m RHIBs, and two medium sized helicopters. It can also be equipped with two Unmanned Surface Vehicles, so called USVs, making the frigate even more versatile.

Anti-air:

The Vasa class frigates use the Principal Anti-Air Missile System (PAAMS, also known as Sea Viper), the same system used on the type 45 destroyers. It consists of a SAMPSON fire control and tracking radar and the Aster 30 and ESSM missile system, giving the ship both short-range and long-range anti-air capability. The reason to why the ESSM was chosen over the Aster 15 missile for the short and medium range defense was that ESSM has a greater range, and more importantly, it can be quad-packed. This required some extra work and funding; however, the advantage that it gives made it worth it.

The PAAMS can launch 8 missiles in 10 seconds, making it capable of countering several threats at once. It’s also armed with two 76mm multi-purpose cannons, two RAM Launchers and four CIWS - giving the ship a very good short- and medium range air defense.

Anti-submarine:

The Thales UMS 4110 CL sonar is able to detect both submarines and torpedoes. To counter these threats the Vasa class destroyers are equipped with two double torpedo tubes armed with the MU-90 torpedo. It also carries two helicopters to further increase the ships ASW capability.

Anti-ship and Land attack:

Armed with 24 RBS-15 Mk.III cruise missiles with a range of 250 km, it is able to strike both sea and land targets far away. It’s also armed with two 76mm cannons, making it capable to give artillery ground support. For short-range protection it’s armed with four 35mm cannons and several smaller machine guns.

Rating:

Anti-Air: *****

Anti-Submarine: ****

Anti-Ship: ****

Ground Support: ****

Endurance: ****

Survivability: ****

Versatility: ****

Total: 29/35

Specifications:

Class and type: Guided Missile/Multi-role Frigate

Displacement: 6,000 tons (fully loaded) _____ (Lego Model: Around 18 kg.)

Length: 112 m _____ (Lego Model: ~350 studs or 2,8m.)

Beam: 16 m _____ (Lego Model: 50 studs or 40cm.)

Height: 28 m _____ (Lego Model: ~73 bricks or ~70cm.)

Draft: 6.4 m _____ (Lego Model: Built from water-line up.)

Propulsion:

Speed: 30 knots

Range: 6,200 nautical miles (11,500 km) at 18 knots

Complement: ~120 including flight detachment (accommodation for up to 180)

Boats and landing

craft carried: 2x 7m RHIBs (With possibility to launch another 2 boats from the aft)

Aircraft carried: 2 medium sized helicopters

Sensors and processing systems:

SAMPSON

- The SAMPSON radar is a multi-function air tracking radar. With a range of 400 km, and able to track outer-atmosphere targets, it’s one of the best air tracking radars there is. The SAMPSON radar is capable of tracking hundreds of targets at the same time.

SMART-L

- The SMART-L radar has a maximum range of 600 km. It’s capable to track up to 1000 airborne and 100 seaborne targets, as well as being able to detect stealth missiles at a range of up to 85 km. However, as the SMART-L mk2 version is being developed, there are plans on replacing the Smart-L radar when the mk2 is finished to further increase the ships radar range.

Thales UMS 4110 CL

- Thales UMS 4110 CL is a long-range hull-mounted sonar for offensive ASW and self-protection, and it’s designed for multi-mode operation. It’s the same type of sonar used on the French and Italian Horizon frigates.

Electro-Optical Gun Control System (EOGCS)

- Ultra Electronics Series 2500 EOGCS is a state-of-the-art fire-control system. It’s a high-performance electro-optic tracking and fire control system for use with small- and medium-caliber guns in air defense, surface-to-surface and costal bombardment. With two director heads providing a full 360-degree coverage it’s the primary sensor for the ships cannons.

Radar Tracking System

- Ultra Electronics SML Technologies radar tracking system.

METOC

- The METOC (Meteorology and Oceanography) system is manufactured by BAE Systems. These sensors will provide the vessel with a full environmental awareness for tasks such as radar propagation, ballistics and general self-supporting meteorological and oceanographic data production.

Armament:

2x 76mm Cannon

- A new medium-caliber, multi-purpose naval gun with an extended range of up to 25 km. It's also very accurate, with an accuracy of +/- 50m. The gun is fully automated, and has a rate of fire of 120 rounds per minute. Each of the cannons has a magazine with 300 rounds, with one auxiliary store room with 400 rounds (non-automatic).

9x SYLVER A-70 VLS (72 cells total)

- 32x Aster 30 Missile: A long range (120 km), supersonic anti-air missile, primarily used to counter enemy aircrafts and missiles, but it can also be used for ballistic missile defense.

- 64x Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM): A medium-range (50+ km) supersonic surface-to-air missile, designed to counter attacking missiles and aircraft. Each VLS cell holds 4 ESSM.

- 24x RBS-15 Mk. III: A Swedish long range (250 km) fire-and-forget cruise missile, able to strike both land targets as well as having an anti-ship roll. To enable it to be launched from a VLS cell it has to have a booster, which helps it clear the ship, after which its own turbojet engine takes over. There are plans of replacing it with the RBS-15 Mk. IV that currently is under development.

(There are plans on equipping it with the new Aster block 2 missiles when it becomes available.)

4x 35mm Cannon/CIWS

- A remotely controlled close-in weapon primarily used to counter aerial targets and smaller surface vessels. The gun has a rate of fire of about 1000 rounds per minute, and has an effective range of up to 10 km (less when used against aerial targets). The ammunition used is the AHEAD ammunition. Its magazines hold 200 rounds each (400 in total).

2x RAM Launchers (Block 2)

- The RAM Launcher uses the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM). It’s a point-defense weapon used primarily against anti-ship cruise missiles. The RAM Launcher holds 21 RAM missiles which has an effective range of 9 km.

2x Double torpedo launchers

- MU90 Torpedo: A highly-advanced anti-submarine torpedo, designed to counter and destroy any type of nuclear or conventional submarine. It also serves as a hard kill anti-torpedo weapon. Its maximum range is 25 km, and it can dive down to a depth of a thousand meters.

(Note that this is not based on an actual ship. The scale the ship is built in is 1:40.)

It seems as Brickshelf is currently down, so temporarely uploaded them to ImageShack, but I'll add them to Brickshelf when it's back up again.

The ship is still intact, or sort of, as the stern came apart as the event was over and we were to put it back in the car (haven't repaired it, so many things to do but so little time). And I thought I should tell you that I've now began sketching on my new project: A light aircraft carrier. However, at the time being, school is taking up most of my time, so it will with all likeliness be a project for the summer...

I'd like to specially thank Chris L (aka Babalas Shipyard) and Ed Diment (aka Lego Monster), who's creations have been a big source of inspiration. Although I'm not even close to their skill, I hope to be so one day. Therefore, all feedback is very much appreciated, as I always want to improve my building skills and learn new techniques. :classic:

Cheers,

Wombat

Edited by Rufus
Larger pictures inserted - Thanks Etzel!

Maybe you could add links to the pictures, please¿?

As a new member, I'm not allowed to do that (said I had to have done atleast 5 previous posts).

But I'll hopefully upload them to Brickshelf later today, aswell as pictures of the finished ship. :classic:

Meanwhile, here's a link to my Mocpages (though it's still invincible, hopefully they'll clear it soon):

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/307320. It's the same pictures as above, but a bit bigger.

As said, I hope to be able to upload pictures of the finished ship later today.

Regards,

Wombat

Edited by Wombat The Wise

That's an awesome build! First time I've seen a Swede build something like that too. :grin:

When I saw the topic I was kinda hoping for the real 17th century Vasa ship, but this is great too! I hope you check by swebrick.se and show your work there as well, I'm sure many will be impressed. :thumbup:

Edited by Etzel

I changed the pictures from just thumbnails so everyone can enjoy your build in detail.

That's an awesome build! First time I've seen a Swede build something like that too. :grin:

When I saw the topic I was kinda hoping for the real 17th century Vasa ship, but this is great too! I hope you check by swebrick.se and show your work there as well, I'm sure many will be impressed. :thumbup:

Many thanks, quite new to this. :blush:

Didn't know that there even was a swedish fansite, so this came as a very nice surprise! :classic:

I'll stop by there now.

Regards,

Wombat

Simply stunning - and welcome to Swebrick as well.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with the way the ship came out though there's always room for improvement. :classic:

Regards,

Wombat

Wow, really well built :wub: ! I also thought the old Wasa at first, but this was a fresh discovery! About how long to build and how many pieces did this cost you?

Now for the rest of the swedish fleet, like Göteborg :devil: :

320px-HMS_G%C3%B6teborg_Drawing.png

Wow, really well built :wub: ! I also thought the old Wasa at first, but this was a fresh discovery! About how long to build and how many pieces did this cost you?

Now for the rest of the swedish fleet, like Göteborg :devil: :

320px-HMS_G%C3%B6teborg_Drawing.png

Got the same question over at Swebrick (where I'm now registred and have made my first post :classic:). I did a first version, which I wasn't really satisfied with - so then I started all over again. However, school took much of my time, and the build was put on hold. I then saw an announcement about Lego Fan Weekend down in Denmark, and thought that it would be cool to finish the ship and take it with me down there. So I then started to build v.2, and finished the front part within a week or two. Then had to wait on some orders, before I built the back half (which took around a week or two). I then spent a week on details before it was time to set course to Denmark (actually did some last finishing touches just an hour before departing).

Concerning how many parts I used I can't really say, though I'm sure it's beyond 10'000... To be honest, I'm not really sure I wanna know... :tongue:

Regards,

Wombat

Just finished uploading some pictures of the finished model. They can be viewed here. I have to admit that she look impressive as she "sails by", though she could need some more detail work (have been thinking of including some electronic features, such as spinning radars and remotely controlled guns). Any suggestions on areas that could be improved is highly welcome, as I always seek to improve my building technique. :classic:

Regards,

Wombat

Holy sh#t, this is midblowing...i've missed this one i think, absolutely stunning, it looks excactly as the original one, great job!

Holy sh#t, this is midblowing...i've missed this one i think, absolutely stunning, it looks excactly as the original one, great job!

Thanks. :classic: Though I do wonder which "the real one" is that you're refering to, as this is a ship of imagination? :shrug_confused:

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I'm planning to rebuild it during summer break and add some interior, some electronics and, most importantly, more details to it.

Regards,

Wombat