Foremast Jack

Misplaced and Removed Bricks

I was curious if anyone was aware of a way to determine which brick(s) were removed when they couldn't be properly placed by LDD. I find it extremely annoying that there is no notification apart from "these bricks were removed" since it only ever seems to happen on a multi-thousand brick build. This makes it nearly impossible to just look at the picture and find the missing piece.

If the UnplaceableBricksDump.lxfml file don't help you (try to set the compatibility lever to the maximum value before open it), you could compare the old file and the new file with LDDManager (don't know if other software recently appeared in the forum, such as BrickUtils or this other, can achieve the same goal).

First, adjusting the Compatability in LDD has nothing to do with opening the UnplaceableBricks file or collission control for that matter.

Let's start from the beginning; There are two kind of "errors" when opening a file

1) The brick does not exist in the database (the DB.lif file). In this case naturally LDD can not visualize the brick, because the data for it is simply not there. This is quite rare, because normally no bricks are removed in later versions of LDD.

2) The brick has been incorrectly placed and is colliding with the collision volume of another bricks. So how can a brick be inncorrecty placed in the first place? There are (at least) two ways:

a) The real-time collision control (at the time when the brick is placed) in LDD is somehow missing the control (don't ask me how that can happen :wacko: )

b) You are opening a more recent LXF file in an older LDD/Brickset version (where collision volumes may be different).

Now, with the theory in place, let's look at the UnplaceableBricksDump.lxfml file. It is basically a file that LDD is creating where the offending bricks (causing a collision) are colored red, and all other bricks are yellow. Open it in notepad. Search for bricks that are red (materials="21"). For that row - look at the DesignID (e.g. designID="53562") - that will give you the brick(s) that was removed.

PS: The UnplaceableBricksDump.lxfml is located here C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company (for Win7 at least)

First, adjusting the Compatability in LDD has nothing to do with opening the UnplaceableBricks file or collission control for that matter.

mmm... I remembered that the compatibility setting is related to the stricter rules that new versions of LDD could have. So, if you are opening an old lxf file and the compatibility is at the maximum level, it is possible that a brick that would have been removed will not. Then I suggested to set the maximum compatibility.

If not... what is the role of the compatibility setting? :wacko:

Something related to software issues?

a) The real-time collision control (at the time when the brick is placed) in LDD is somehow missing the control...

The only two collisions gone wrong situations I know of are:

1) System side knob brick into Technic brick with hole, obviously.

2) Using a large rim and tire on a bearing plate, moving the tire away, replacing the rim with a small rim, and then sliding the large tire back into place, but not attaching. Example LXF. There was a tire placed where the little rim is, didn't collide, and was able to save. Obviously on opening is gets removed.

I'm sure there are plenty more. :tongue:

Thanks guys, you've helped me find 17 bricks that have been missing out of a table-sized model since the update to 4. I thought it was bricks that were removed from the palette, but it turns out it was just collision errors with hinges and builds that wouldn't stick.

Technic Shock Absorber 731c04 shows up in the menu, but I can't drag it into the model. This happens in LDD on two different Macs, one of which was installed yesterday. I have not had this issue with any other parts.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Advice appreciated!!