REVIEW: 9492 TIE Fighter

118 members have voted

1. 1. Does this TIE you over?

• 5. Excellent!
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

To clarify I moved this thing by placing it in a box and driving for 10 minutes. It did not survive a smooth car ride very well. I do not swoosh my models :P.

Hahaha, there's a suggestion for TLG for improved testing procedures :laugh: I do not swoosh them either generally, but there's something about this TIE, it calls you to swoosh it and make that stupid sound :grin:

Great review Sinner, and now I don't feel bad about bumping up this thread. I only recently got my TIE Fighter, I had a mini-dark age during 2012, and with sets like the Batcave, Jabba's Palace, and the Epic Dragon battle, well lets just say 2012 wasn't the funnest year to miss out on Lego! I love this thing, my mother bought me the X-Wing during the summer, so with $50 spare at a Target one day I just caved in and bought the set. The build was surprisingly fun for being so repetitive and I love picking it up and sitting it down next to my X-Wing. I forgot which channel, but recently a network was giving a Star Wars marathon, and during the battle of Yavin I just set my X-Wing and Tie-Fighter next to each other and admired their beauty more than I did the movie! And yes, it is very swooshable, if this Tie-Fighter had a username, it'd be Mr. Swooshable.

I have the ability to pick up a brand new 9492 Tie Fighter and was wondering if it makes sense to do so - knowing that the Tie Fighters are so well used in Star Wars Rebels...

I don't want to buy it if the TLG may be coming out with a new Tie Fighter again in the near future (not including the Tie Advanced Prototype).

I say get this set. It is really well done, accurate, and a fun build. It is swooshable, and feels nice and solid.

The TIEs in Rebels will likely be different from the movie TIEs. The ones I've seen in the trailers have much smaller solar panels on the sides. Makes them look a little weird, IMHO.

I say get this set. It is really well done, accurate, and a fun build. It is swooshable, and feels nice and solid.

The TIEs in Rebels will likely be different from the movie TIEs. The ones I've seen in the trailers have much smaller solar panels on the sides. Makes them look a little weird, IMHO.

That's a throwback to the old concept art (and even the Kenner/Hasbro toys, until about a decade ago). Like the stormtroopers in the show, I don't think it's intended to say "this is a different in-universe production model of the TIE fighter, and sometime in the next 5 years the Imps will have the manufacturer enlarge the side panels", just a stylistic nod. I would hope Lego just reuses the 9492 model (possibly with minor detailing/decorative tweaks) if they ever release a 'regular' TIE from the show.

If you've got a chance to pick up this set and the price isn't ridiculous, do it, just in case TLG does make a small-wing TIE for Rebels.

It's a very nice set. My only complaint, and it's an issue with all recent Lego sets, is that they no longer include the "alternative build" photographs in the box art or instructions. I liked those and it encouraged/reminded you what you can do with Lego.

It's especially annoying in this set since it's entirely possible to make a very passable TIE Interceptor just using the pieces in the kit.