Hinckley

Three new MOCs

indexed.gif B-PV-4A Fire Dept., V-LF-8E Fire Aparatus

I'm not much of a vehicle modeler, so this is new territory for me. Let me know what you think.

The Chessie Engine is based off a HO scale train I've had since I was a kid. It's my first attempt at a train engine and my first use of custom decals.

The fire engine is my first attempt at a vehicle. I got a lot of inspiration from talented vehicle modelers on Brickshelf. I've never been very good at building vehicles but I like this one.

And, last but not least, after several Bricklink orders, my Fire Station is done! Please enjoy!

BrickZone.net

BrickZone.net MOCs page

fire_station_down.jpg

fire_engine_down.jpg

chessie_engine_down.jpg

I can assure you that all three are built to minifig scale.

I think he means the 80s "town scale" (the "small" houses without backs). I know Alex is a fan of the classic spirit ;-)

I think he means the 80s "town scale" (the "small" houses without backs). I know Alex is a fan of the classic spirit ;-)

Oh, okay! Well, the fire station has no back:

fires_station005.jpg

And when he says the look like they're on a human scale, it sounds like he expects to be able to walk through the front door. :-D

Here are some more pictures of the engine and fire house with minifigs:

fires_station008.jpg

fires_station007.jpg

fire_engine001.jpg

fire_engine003.jpg

Closeups can be seen at BrickZone.net's City MOC page

I like the color scheme of the locomotive, but it looks like the front wheels are... "too far out front"... it looks like it's missing a small platform out front and that the cabin should be a little more up front.

Thanks for the compliments. I wondered about the front and that's what I struggled most with. I actually like the placement of the cabin, but I do think a small platform needs to come out like on the santa fe engine. I originally had something like that but I'm working in bley and didn't have all of the pieces I needed. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the compliments.

Other than that it's a perfect GP... Dash... ah, one of those, I never remember the difference ;-)

I don't know at all...

I love your Fire Station. This building is a pure beauty! Your Fire Engine rocks too! All these fine details and

cool ideas, especially with these water hose connectors.... And i like the colors of your Chessie Engine.... *wub*

Maybe these parts would fit well as hoses, at least in red....

I love your Fire Station. This building is a pure beauty! Your Fire Engine rocks too! All these fine details and

cool ideas, especially with these water hose connectors.... And i like the colors of your Chessie Engine.... *wub*

Maybe these parts would fit well as hoses, at least in red....

Thanks! Great idea on the hoses. It would look much better than the string...

Thanks! Great idea on the hoses. It would look much better than the string...

Yeah, but i don

I really, really love the facade design of the Fire Station :o And I like the fact, that it's 'human scale' (that's not really a proper term for it, is it XD) instead of the classic minifig scale. Though, now that it is so, wouldn't it look nice for the lamp posts to have a couple of 2x2 bricks under them (they'd match those pillars on the building front too), to make them appear a bit more on scale with the rest of the MOC (if you don't think the 'tree' would look too small then?)

Anyway. Details, details! I love them :D Great job!!

P.S. I especially love the basketball hoop! Gives the whole thing a nice casual touch!

I really, really love the facade design of the Fire Station :o And I like the fact, that it's 'human scale' (that's not really a proper term for it, is it XD) instead of the classic minifig scale. Though, now that it is so, wouldn't it look nice for the lamp posts to have a couple of 2x2 bricks under them (they'd match those pillars on the building front too), to make them appear a bit more on scale with the rest of the MOC (if you don't think the 'tree' would look too small then?)

Anyway. Details, details! I love them :D Great job!!

P.S. I especially love the basketball hoop! Gives the whole thing a nice casual touch!

Thanks so much for all of the compliments! You are so nice. :'-)

Let me re-iterate something: It IS mini-fig scale, not "human". The first floor is two stories high to accomodate the fire engines. Here is a closeup of the front with a minifig and his dog:

fires_station008.jpg

See? A human couldn't fit through that door. I build on mini-fig scale only. I don't like micro or "human" scale.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the compliments. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix my fire station so it looks mini-fig scale, which it is. X-D

Let me re-iterate something: It IS mini-fig scale, not "human".

Yeah, okay. You're right... bad choice of words... but, but it's still a bit massive *insists* I mean, 'massive' as in more-complete-than-a-usual-Town-set-building-and-therefore-looks-bigger-than-the-so-called-minifig-scale. The hoop's set at the lamp posts' height :/

I believe the station actually would look smaller, if the lamp posts were taller (I was even thinking, that you might have left them like that on purpose of making the building look taller) :D

Yeah, okay. You're right... bad choice of words... but, but it's still a bit massive *insists* I mean, 'massive' as in more-complete-than-a-usual-Town-set-building-and-therefore-looks-bigger-than-the-so-called-minifig-scale. The hoop's set at the lamp posts' height :/

I believe the station actually would look smaller, if the lamp posts were taller (I was even thinking, that you might have left them like that on purpose of making the building look taller) :D

I get it. I swear the hoop is at mini-fig regulation height. ;-) Thanks for clarifying, here's a visual aid anyway:

When mini-figs try to use my fire station:

scale01.jpg

When humans try to use my fire station:

scale02.jpg

What do you mean "let it go"?

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands. Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

X-O The Chessie is Good, but I really love the fire stuff, those are amazing! The artistic detail on the exterior of the building (what's the word for this?) is beautiful, and the interior is great too although I think the beds could benefit from being a bit wider. The basket ball hoop is a brilliant addition and overall this is the most detailed fire station I've seen. The fire engine is nice and problably better than mine even though it looks a bit too big.

Excelent work. *y*

I don't even want to know how much it would cost if you would have to buy all the parts separatly

I don't want to know either.

The fire engine is nice and problably better than mine even though it looks a bit too big.

Good eye. It is too big. It won't fit in the garage all the way. Oh well. I forgot to check that before completion. I'm going to build to fire rescue vehicles that fit in the garages and they can parallel park the fire engine outside...

Thanks again to everyone for all the great compliments and feedback! :'-)

I see that Hobbes knows me well!

When I said your buildings are human scale hinckley39, it is because the building are too tall than TLC had done during the 80's and the 90's. They have more a human proportion feeling than a minifig one. In fact the ceiling of your rooms are too hight. The minigi scale houses don't have staircase, with small everythings. I don't know if what I say it is clear.

But like I said too, the result is very good!

I see that Hobbes knows me well!

When I said your buildings are human scale hinckley39, it is because the building are too tall than TLC had done during the 80's and the 90's. They have more a human proportion feeling than a minifig one. In fact the ceiling of your rooms are too hight. The minigi scale houses don't have staircase, with small everythings. I don't know if what I say it is clear.

But like I said too, the result is very good!

Thanks for clarifying! We had quite the debate about that while you were away. Hobbes must know you real well because I never ever would've guessed that that's what you meant. Thanks again for the nice compliments!

I think the building is minifig scale just very big and realistic. Realistic is a compliment in my opinion but the because it is big it would make the TLC sets look a bit small and crap and unrealistic, which is what they usually are.

The fire engine is again more accurate but I prefer traditional sized cars (Because they fit on the streets better and are lower than TLC buildings) The fire engine I would consider to be closer to human-scale, i.e. more than more person (lego) can fit in the front seat. Now obviously a real person cant so "human-scale" isnt the best label but you know what I mean I think.

The only thing on the building I would remove in the basketball hoop as I think it looks too big and firemen shouldnt be playing it while at work :-D

But in the US perhaps it is a regular feature, although sometimes I dont like realistic things:-)

Anyway, in summary, good job, keeping making similar buildings. Btw what is a HO scale train?