BrickBox

[MOC] 7-wide european fire engine

indexed.gif V-LF-8A

After a long break due to lack of time, I recently got back to my post dark age Lego collection, and started building another... fire engine. Because there can never be enough Lego fire engines.

So here is what i came up with. It's the third model I built, and this time I tried really hard to make it look like the real thing. Like with my previous mocs, I stuffed as much equipment as possible into the vehicle, and there's still room for 4 minifigs :thumbup: .

More images can be found on my flickr album. Comments and critique are welcome!

Edit: I uploaded my LDD file on the LDD forum for anyone interested.

6777230403_f9f772b329.jpg

6777233921_fab0489fd4.jpg

6777228083_d1dca80138.jpg

Edited by Phred

Impressive and full featured fire truck.....stacks of rescue equipment too - great work 'BrickBox' ! :classic:

Brick On Fire Fight On ! :grin:

Oh yeah, I really like the way you manage to put that much equipment into a small size model. The details are very well done, especially the pump. I used to be a firefighter and love how you placed the PSA inside, just like the real thing.

One small critique: What about using black chain-elements on the back?

Hi BrickBox what a great return from your lego break. Its one of the best European Fire engines Ive seen done in lego and has plenty of equipement. As you say it would be a Rescue Pump here in the UK.

I realy like your hydraulic power pack and tools. I guess this is based on Weber hydraulic tools?

Scott

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, I'm glad you all like it. Especially the fact that actual firefighters acknowledged some of the details makes me happy, I was trying to keep as close to reality as possible.

To answer some questions:

That's a lot of stuff to fit inside a truck! I wonder what they're doing?

If you're interested in that: I added some notes on one of the flickr images: link. Also, I think laix and Scott will be able to give you very in depth explanation to every piece of equipment if you wish... :laugh:

One small critique: What about using black chain-elements on the back?

You're right, black would look much better. Unfortunately I don't have that piece in any other color than brown. Same with the window frames above the rear mudguards, they are also brown but should be red. But I didn't feel like blowing money on Bricklink for such small details, I spent enough money already on new sets... :laugh:

I realy like your hydraulic power pack and tools. I guess this is based on Weber hydraulic tools?

Probably yes... Since I'm not a firefighter myself, I didn't know that company until now. But after doing some googleing, it seems to me that most fire brigades in Germay are using tools made by Weber, so I guess they also appear on most photos and images I used as a reference. Edited by BrickBox

Great work BrickBox! I wish this was a set for sale, I would buy it :classic:

Just awesome! I really like it. I don't think it would look too out of place in the U.S. either. I love all the gear. Very well thought out! :thumbup:

I wish this was a set for sale, I would buy it :classic:

You don't have to buy it, just build it! :wink: I tried to upload the LDD instructions on my Flickr page, but it's too many images for a standard account. Bad luck I guess.

Edit: I uploaded my LDD file, see first post.

Edited by BrickBox

Thanks BrickBox for uploading your LDD file of this fire engine. Hope to build a couple of these at least if I can work out all the parts.

Thanks BrickBox for uploading your LDD file of this fire engine. Hope to build a couple of these at least if I can work out all the parts.

Oh yeah, I'd love to see that fleet of fire engines when it's finished!

Oh yeah, I'd love to see that fleet of fire engines when it's finished!

I will post pics once I have built them and of the station they will run out of, once I have completed that too. But for now its a case of collecting all the parts.

Thanks Poison Ivy for the big compliment. Make sure to check out more Lego fire vehicles on flickr and brickshelf, because there are so many great builders that have much more skill than me :thumbup: . The vehicle creations of Ralph S. are the best that I personally have seen yet. He has been great inspiration for everything I've done so far (thanks Ralph!), do check him out if you haven't already!

I will post pics once I have built them and of the station they will run out of, once I have completed that too. But for now its a case of collecting all the parts.

Looking forward to seeing your station and the fleet, and good luck with the parts. I noticed that those red door frames are quite pricey on bricklink, luckily I already had them.

I prefer American style engines myself (since I live near the Pierce Mfg. plant that's almost a requirement!), but this is a nice engine.

You mentioned Ralph who is a great builder, another source is MOCpages where you'll find lots of excellent fire engine MOCers like Steven Asbury: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/291

He's just one excellent builder out of many, but one of the first I found when I left my Dark Ages so his creations stuck in my head.

Thanks meyerc13. You're right, Steven Asbury is producing oustanding MOCs, his folder on brickshelf is my favourite one. I have to admit that I rarely visit mocpages. This site really lacks an image gallery functionality, I got sick very quickly of hitting the back button every time after I zoomed in on a picture.

Looks great. Do you have the overall dimensions, including height and length? I'm wondering how it would fit in the fire brigade. I'm not a fan of the old one that comes in the set (it's nice but you wouldn't have one that old in modern times). The one that comes with the Dire Brigade is 7 wide (if you count the ladder that sticks out othe side), about 6.5 high, and 18 studs long.