Piranha

LEGO Collectable Minifgures Series 8 Rumours & Discussion

The list was slightly underwhelming. Seeing the pictures for the first time, much more "whelming." I don't mind the rehashes since I don't have the earlier versions either, so I may end up picking up the new cheerleader and robot. I am very disappointed in the fairy. I will probably buy one for the collection, but not at all how I pictured it. The black bowler hat is great and I could always use more black suits. I will be getting multiples of the conquistador and vampire bat for sure. I might get extras of the thespian and bavarian for those torsos. I was hoping for a slightly different cowgirl, but this one will be a nice addition. The diver looks neat, but was never a planned purchase. I may end up picking him up after all. The new santa is perfect. I wasn't too keen on the pirate captain, but I may get him just to add to the ranks.

When I first saw the pics, brilliant. The more I look at them, the less I want some of the figures. Which is great, it'll save me money later since I will have some army building to do. I think I will skip out on the Vampire castle now since I can get a black version of the bat and the vampire/bride in the haunted house. If my neighbors still want to go in on a set, I will probably do that and will end up with all of the figures anyway. We'll see.

Glad we finally saw pictures!

Can't wait for the HR.

What an amazing surprise!!!! Love the diver, love the thespian, and really impressed with the Bavarian boy. I think he only did for me is the robot.

I was really anticipating the football player, but I'm a bit unimpressed with the uniforms. Still, I'm sure I'll grab enough for a team. Looks like he matches up well with the Series 1 cheerleader... Which can only mean we'll get a red &black football player in a future series.

*oh2*

My favorites are the Hamlet one (the ruff! :wub: ) the football player, the guy in the Bavarian costume, the cowgirl (I like her boots and hat!) the alien, the diver and probably the skier..

The fairy looks like she's from the flinstones' era! :wacko: And I expected something different for the Businessman and cheerleader :sad: It's a good serie either way

Overall I'm quite underwhelmed, but I've had series grow on me in the past after similar initial thoughts. Genuinely wish I shared the enthusiasm that most others here are showing.

Actually you're not alone as I also find this series relatively underwhelming compared to the previous releases. I tried looking at the image several times to look for something that would make me say 'Wow' but in the end I say Meh overall for this series. Majority of the figs are not 'conceptually new' and just rehashes of other figs:

- Cheerleader in another uniform

- Alien Queen lazily recycled from the Alien Conquest theme

- A Santa that even Yoda Santa would trump

- A Football player who'll play with his team with a trophy instead of a proper football 'egghand' :hmpf:

- Black Robot which is simply a black version of the S1 Robot

- Black Man-bat - another recolor job of the Monster Fighters brown variant

- Another Ice Skier

- A Pirate that's no better than the previous ones we got from the Pirates theme

- A fairy that's less magically-looking than the keychain one

And the 'new' ones (Cowgirl, old scuba diver, pretzel guy, Shakespearean dude, the boring guy in a black suit and bowler hat which I don't have any idea what he is) also fail to impress me. The only figs that pass for me are the headphone kid and the conquistador, and even these two are not as awesome as the Aztec Warriors, Spartans, Elves, Galactic Marines, etc. of the previous series.

IMO, this is a step-back from the previous series which leaves me to believe (contrary to what others have said) that TLG is finally running out of cool new minifigs to release. It's actually not their fault, since I think the main reason is majority of the fan-favorite minifig wishes have already been released in the previous series. Eventually, TLG is bound to run out of interesting concepts/ideas/material for collectible minifigs, and it looks like the lack of impressive minifigs in this series is a sign of that trend slowly dawning upon us (hopefully I'm wrong).

For every response that doesn't like this series, there are multiple more that do like it. So even if the ideas are running out (which I don't think is true), people are still wanting these figures. In fact, I want to army build this series where I haven't with the last few. So there is always something for someone out there.

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine..

-Sci

He's giving a substantial opinion, it's not necessary to agree with it. I do, though, at least to some degree. The ideas were okay - a lot of reshoots, though - and the overall result isn't as nice as I would've hoped. I need more pics of that Conquistador, though. :sweet:

I like the diver, the Shakespeare actor, the Conquistador and the bavarian guy very much, but figs like the n-th winter sporter and the new cheerleader are so boring!

-Sci

Am I not allowed to post my honest negative views of this series? Is it supposed to be all positive comments every time for TLG's products?

And please tell me how your post adds to the discussion about the topic. Attacking the poster instead of refuting his arguments? Pls. be more respectful, you're making yourself look like an ignorant fool with that comment. :wink:

Ok considering I always get at least 2x of every minifig, here are there my shop list:

Cheerleader 2x

Football player 2x

Skier 2x

Diver 2x

Gentleman 2x

Bavarian 3x

Alien 3x

Robot 2x

Fairy 3x

Batman 10x

Actor 10x

Conquistador 5x

Pirate 2x

Santa 3x

Dj 2x

Cowgirl 2x

Considering that in series 7 I picked up 10x viking woman, 20x knight and 20x marine... this series IMHO is the worse of all 8. I hope 9 will be better.

Really like Shakespeare, Santa, Pirate, Conquistador and that guy in a black suit who reminds me of Poirot. :classic:

But then there are a few really bad ones, robot, alien, black man-bat... Really LEGO surely you can think of something better! How about a Jock, with football jacket, or a Politician of some sort, and then a ballerina! I mean it's not that hard to think of something new! :hmpf:

That being said I'm glad to see this series continue because it's still bringing in new elements for are cherished minifigures. :classic:

Ok considering I always get at least 2x of every minifig, here are there my shop list:

Cheerleader 2x

Football player 2x

Skier 2x

Diver 2x

Gentleman 2x

Bavarian 3x

Alien 3x

Robot 2x

Fairy 3x

Batman 10x

Actor 10x

Conquistador 5x

Pirate 2x

Santa 3x

Dj 2x

Cowgirl 2x

Considering that in series 7 I picked up 10x viking woman, 20x knight and 20x marine... this series IMHO is the worse of all 8. I hope 9 will be better.

I'm definitely going to get Santa, the Actor and the Fairy. Possibly the Conquistador, the Pirate and the Alien. Aside for the DJ's headphones, the res doesn't interest me that much.

-Sci

Everyone's entitled to their (substantiated) opinion, so please refrain from calling people's opinions a "long negative wall text".

Pls. be more respectful, you're making yourself look like an ignorant fool with that comment. :wink:

I'm afraid with comments like this, you run the risk of adding fuel to the fire, so please just report the post the next time Kiel. Thanks. :sweet:

WOW these are AWESOME.

I can see the Spanish guy being the pick of the lot for army building.

Personally my favorites are the bowler hat guy, DJ and Santa.

Some questions for anyone who can tell the answer from the pictures:

1.What shade of trans-purple is that on the 1 x 1 round tile for the space alien laser gun?

2.Is the hat on the Cowgirl new?

3.Can anyone see if Santa has any neck-wear? And whats that in his hand?

4.Is the pretzel on the German guy the same color as the pretzel in the new Hobbit Bag End set?

5.What is the businessman holding? The tile looks like it might be a newspaper but I am not sure, is the other thing the normal suitcase or something new?

and 6.Is the square tile held by the DJ meant to be a record cover or what?

Well, here's my list, from best to worst:

1: Female alien: Great minifigure, would love to use these parts for army building and general MOCcing.

2: Diver: Please don't kill me for this ranking :tongue:.

3: Evil Robot: Yeah, you heard me.

4: Conquistador: Only occupying this rank because I need some more figs to go along with my Aztec Warrior.

5: Man-Bat: Need the new arms.

6: DJ: Rather cohesive.

7: Bavarian guy: ME WANT PRETZEL.

8: Skier: One can never have enough purple.

9: Pirate: For the gold and I need to make the Ninjago season 3 pirate captain.

10: Shakespeare: Nice.

11: Bowler hat guy: ?

12: Santa

13: Football player

14: Fairy

15: Cheerleader

16: Cowgirl

Edited by DraikNova

I am glad we have new robots, a cool alien queen (which is only a "repeated" idea in that it is an Alien, but otherwise is something of the most original ideas accounting all series, plus I am sure her parts can be used to make Evil Queen Snow white style. The only recycled thing used in this Alien queen is the head, and even it has a great twist, like the brain in trans purple. )

A brunette Cheerleader is almost a repeat. But seriously, even if you are not one of the 3 guys who were actually able to get series 1 figs and already have a Cheerleader, what is a Cheerleader without a rival from another team?

I am glad that there is no Jock, ballerina or politician and we instead get a chance at an evil robot and an Alien queen. Added to the conquistador and William Shakespeare, I think this series is definitely better than series 2, and is probably tied or better than some other series so there is no way it can be the worst of them. I prefer a good old idea over a bad new one every day, and the robot and Cheerleader were good old ideas. I hope to see more remakes in future series. Specially of series 1 (Hilariously, the robot and the Cheerleader happen to be some of the few figures from series 1 I could get Hope to see a new Luchador in the future.

Edited by vexorian

Good series. I would have much preferred the conquistador with silver/grey armour but it's definitely a great minifig. I like the pirate torso but not a fan of the hat. The Shakespearean guy is a really nice surprise. Diver is nice and I actually quite like the businessman/trader even though it's a bit 'boring'. Evil robot doesn't do it for me, not nearly as nice as the previous two CMF robots in my opinion.

Am I dead? Did I fall off of my chair, hit the tile behind me and have my brain spill out over the floor? Is this Heaven? :cry_happy:

Well?

Assuming that didn't happen and my thoughts will not get lost in the ether, here they are.

There's not one in this line-up I don't need more than water. I'll start my list with the figs I only plan on getting one of (ie. the ones I'm least impressed with in terms of theme)

Santa: I did not expect them to make a new hat for him, but I'm glad they did, because It's about freaking time! :thumbup: Also, The sack works great too! He's not on the top of my favorites list, but I need him nonetheless.

Cowgirl: Well, Howdy! She's a great cowgirl, and I love the lasso!

Football Player: I'm not a huge fan of American Football, but I can't resist buying this one! It's gorgeous, and is that a new trophy piece I spy?

Cheer Leader: B-E-A-Utiful! She's great on her own, and a wonerful Foil to the first one, who I still need very much. Not all Cheer-Leaders are blonde!

Purple Skier: Wow, what were they smoking when they made the skier that colour? The fumes of a burning barbie doll house? But honestly, She's great and I need her. Her and her pretty Skis and lack of protective or insulated head gear. :wub:

Disk Jockey: They did it this time! Marvelous! I love the new hair piece! and the disk, and the album. I'm iffy on the shirt because I can't really see it well.

Trader: I'll tell you, I was not expecting a 1920's stock trader, complete with bowler hat and newspaper. The only thing that would make him and his funny mustachioed face better would be a lego-cigar. Of course, we all know they's never do it, but for a brief shining second, I swore I saw one in his hand. :blush:

Now the ones I really, really love:

Bavarian Boy: Well, it's about time that the Danish company pushed out a pretzel (with butter :thumbup: ). There is nothing at all bad about this figure. I'd buy more than one if I had any use for more than one bavarian. Although, I may just have to come up with one... :devil:

Fairie: So cute! I needs it! I'll get it "for my sister" so that I get brownie points as well as the fig! :laugh:

Evil Robot: Holy crap! So Cool! I can't wait to see the face, and that logo, but I don't even need to to say that I'm in love.

Pirate: I'm not the hugest fan of Pirates, but this one's golden... Literally! :grin: He reminds me of the previous rapper fig, with the gold on his hat. :laugh:

Diver: The long legs? That new helmet? I need 20! *huh* It's amazing!

Conquistador: Lovely! The colours, the gold, It's amazing. It'll be a great fight between this guy and the Aztec! :tongue:

Ancient Thespis: It's not as ancient as I would have expected.... And I'm really really pleased. I need this figure and it's gorgeous ruff, legs and torso. It's so needed!

Female Alien: Yes! Whoever said they had that "unhealthy love" for this fig is going to have to fight me for her! :tongue: I loved Alien Conquest, and I adore this figure! Finally, a cheap way to get that head piece. 100 of them. :devil: The dress piece is beautiful, the chest piece is wonderful, the cape is magnificent... And that head... :wub: . I will say though, I always thought that the aliens had pink "brainy stuff" for hair, so with that considered, she could be Alien Hitler... :look: That brian piece is amazing in that colour too! All in all, I need so many of this fig.

The Vampire: *huh* My new Sigfig. Just saying.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Am I the only one who immediately saw the guy with the bowler hat as Watson to CMFs5 Holmes (forgive me if it's been mentioned, I quickly glanced at the responses)?

And the robot. Knowing the old robot, and seeing the pictures, I bet that when you take the helmet off you will get an awesome evil robot face.

Female Alien: Yes! Whoever said they had that "unhealthy love" for this fig is going to have to fight me for her! :tongue: I loved Alien Conquest, and I adore this figure! Finally, a cheap way to get that head piece. 100 of them.

That was me. And what, may I ask, will you fight with? I'm using a raygun :laugh:. Incidentally, I want a purple coloured raygun "body"/barrel in a future release. And yes, I'm going to armybuild her too.

I hope the Robot's face will be as scary as the Atlantis squidman's face or one of the Skull twins from SPIII. The logo seems to be the "Biohazard" sign.

Edited by DraikNova