Piranha

LEGO Collectable Minifgures Series 8 Rumours & Discussion

Not enough for my liking.

I do find it annoying when people label everything as 'City' though....etc

:)

splithearer :) alright, what I wanted to say is: not enough fantasy minifigs for my taste :)

A soccer player is called a futbol player in other countries beside the U.S, so football would be referring to the American style football right?

I would assume that would depend on whether we have an English-English translation, or an American English translation...

A soccer player is called a futbol player in other countries beside the U.S, so football would be referring to the American style football right?

No it is called football here.

:)

splithearer :) alright, what I wanted to say is: not enough fantasy minifigs for my taste :)

The fantasy figures are generally my favorite as well, but I know my expectations were unreasonably high from looking at Toth's designs. I'm excited to see what the fairy will look like and hoping the vampire will be something unique. Plus the conquistador and ancient thespis should be great. For me, this series looks to be right on par with the previous ones as far as the amount of figures that I will be able to use in my LEGO world. If the series had all the fantasy/castle figures that I wanted, then I'd be going broke trying to collect the multiples of them that I would want. I think it's good to only have a couple fantasy figures in each series. It keeps us excited for future fantasy ideas and doesn't cause us to deplete our funds too much.

The fantasy figures are generally my favorite as well, but I know my expectations were unreasonably high from looking at Toth's designs. I'm excited to see what the fairy will look like and hoping the vampire will be something unique. Plus the conquistador and ancient thespis should be great. For me, this series looks to be right on par with the previous ones as far as the amount of figures that I will be able to use in my LEGO world. If the series had all the fantasy/castle figures that I wanted, then I'd be going broke trying to collect the multiples of them that I would want. I think it's good to only have a couple fantasy figures in each series. It keeps us excited for future fantasy ideas and doesn't cause us to deplete our funds too much.

Well I too am really too much into fantasy figures. This is why, fairy excepted (and I can't really tell about the vampire), this serie is going to be among my less favorite. Series 1 had ZOMBIES and forestmen, but I yet wasn't hoarding them. S2 had vampires (at that time, the only vampire was the one in the studios set, which I own 5, and was very rare) and also spartans were so fantastic. S3 had... elves... IMHO still the best minifigure realized. S4 had nothing very special, I bought some wolfmen, some Frankenstein, and a lot of vikings. S5 asked me to buy gladiators and at least 20 dwarves. S6... can't tell really, highland battlers, leprechauns, minotaurs, romans, genies... too many figs... I depleted my wallet. S7 evil knights a go go, but also grandma visitors or ocean kings... really a good one. And then here it comes S8 with just a fairy and MAYBE a vampire. It's disappointing, I really look forward to see those pictures, I come here every day to see if they spawn... but I believe I will so soon look for S9 after that...

The thing for me, as I'm primarily a history builder, (1500-1700) Series 7 has been the best series so far, as I was able to accumulate Aztecs, Mermen, and bagpipers. Prior to this, the best army builder for me was the Series 5 Royal Guard.

I wish they would do another run of series 1 since there wasnt enough to go around. Lego, please help those of us who want 5 zombies but cant afford to pay 125 dollars for them!

Futbol is just a phonetic transform of the term appropriated from english, for languages spoken globally in zones where soccer football is huge.

Roast beef is spelled "rosbif" in a lot of places. :wink:

I mocked up a little collectible minifig for an American football playing kid in protective gear, and decided he had to be called "Gridiron Lad"

Well I too am really too much into fantasy figures. This is why, fairy excepted (and I can't really tell about the vampire), this serie is going to be among my less favorite. Series 1 had ZOMBIES and forestmen, but I yet wasn't hoarding them. S2 had vampires (at that time, the only vampire was the one in the studios set, which I own 5, and was very rare) and also spartans were so fantastic. S3 had... elves... IMHO still the best minifigure realized. S4 had nothing very special, I bought some wolfmen, some Frankenstein, and a lot of vikings. S5 asked me to buy gladiators and at least 20 dwarves. S6... can't tell really, highland battlers, leprechauns, minotaurs, romans, genies... too many figs... I depleted my wallet. S7 evil knights a go go, but also grandma visitors or ocean kings... really a good one. And then here it comes S8 with just a fairy and MAYBE a vampire. It's disappointing, I really look forward to see those pictures, I come here every day to see if they spawn... but I believe I will so soon look for S9 after that...

Completely agree about the elf: to my mind the best CMF so far.

Arguably, the 2002 Studios vampire wasn't TLG's first. For one thing, it was supposed to be an actor dressed as a vampire. Admittedly, most AFOLs that I know treat it as an actual vampire - I have one and consider it as a vampire, not a thespian. For another thing, the Bat Lord from the 1997 Fright Knights range is pretty vampiric. I don't think that TLG ever described him explicitly as a vampire, but I'm pretty sure that's what they had in mind (link to BlickLink catalogue entry: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=cas022 ). I've got one of those, too.

I wish they would do another run of series 1 since there wasnt enough to go around. Lego, please help those of us who want 5 zombies but cant afford to pay 125 dollars for them!

EXACTLY!!! :thumbup:

You seem to have very similar interests as me, but in my opinion S8 looks pretty strong. The Fairy will undoubtedly be the highlight, but there is also the Conquistador and Ancient Thespsis that may have army building potential as well. And I am 99% certain the Vampire will at least not look anything like the S2 one, because the Monster Fighters vampire already looks very similar to it. So that may be an army building possibility as well. For me, S7 was a little bit of a letdown. The Evil Knight is cool, but could have used a different helmet, and even if it had it still wouldn't have been nearly as awesome as the Elf or Spartan. Other than that there was the Grandma Visitor, which is useful for parts (mostly the hood), but not really an army builder fig. And same for the Ocean King unless you want a lot of mermaids (which I don't really have much use for). So in my opinion, at least from what we currently know, I think S8 will be better than S7 (but still not as great as S4, S5, and S6, which were my favorites overall).

They've kept this one so secretive, I'm thinking they're going to hang onto these pictures until San Diego Comic Con. What do y'all think?

Edited by SirBlake

I think a trader is like a merchant type person. Perhaps series 8 will be better than series 5, 6 and 7.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

I would really like a conquistador, and an actual Santa with a cool new hat. Hopefully they also make a santa's elf. The conquistador could be useful in my pirate sets :tongue: I want the football player to be actual football, not soccer, because we already have a soccer player. Hopefully he comes with a Lego football, that would be excellent. :hmpf:

Ancient Thespis

Pirate Captain- peg leg with gold cutlass and hook

Conquistador-silver helmet and armor with a sword.

Enemy Robot-kind of like the cyborg/space villain from a past series.

Evil Female Alien-kind of like the aliens from Alien Conquest, but a girl.

Diver-classic diver

Vampire-a bat

Fairy-resembles the S3 elf has pointy ears

Football Player-American, shoulder pads

Trader-maybe like an old western dude with a coonskin cap thing

Skier-we got one already, maybe a different color?

Red Cheerleader

Santa Claus-a REAL Santa with a new hat and a bag with maybe the S6 sleepyhead's teddy bear in it.

Boy in Bavarian costume

DJ

Cowgirl-a female version of the previous male cowboy.

The list :sweet: and my predictions and ideas.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

They've kept this one so secretive, I'm thinking they're going to hang onto these pictures until San Diego Comic Con. What do y'all think?

*checks out online info about comic con*

DO i think it could be announced then? Yes. Do i see it as a good idea? NO!

Early release of photos would of meant lego staying ahead of other companies(apple AND nintendo included) in the terms of who gets the attention of people first when if comes to a potentially popular product.

But now Nintendo got the upper hand in the competition in terms of people who are both lego fans AND nintendo video gamers and have to make choices of what to buy and what to pass on. They've got the 3DS XL coming up soon, the wii u due for a holiday release, and a cornacopia of games for both coming up and this all came up between e3 and ND. That's a lot of attention catching on nintendo's part.

With the one 3DS XL announcement and STILL no Series 8 figures, i went from thinking about getting a few Series 8 to most likely passing on it. If there'd be a real series 8 photo, my chances of NOT passing on it could be a lot lower.

EDIT: Correction, there is now a slitghtly higher chance of me getting any series 8. Just discovered what i'd get on a 3ds and an xl Gamestop trade in and i'm going to do a CL sell session so i'll wind up with money to spare.

Edited by ACWWgal2011

Still no pics??? I guess they really will be unveiled at Comic Con.... :cry_sad::thumbdown:

When would that be? . . . :hmpf:

I want the football player to be actual football, not soccer.

Is this really happening? :hmpf:

Early release of photos would of meant lego staying ahead of other companies(apple AND nintendo included) in the terms of who gets the attention of people first when if comes to a potentially popular product.

But now Nintendo got the upper hand in the competition in terms of people who are both lego fans AND nintendo video gamers and have to make choices of what to buy and what to pass on. They've got the 3DS XL coming up soon, the wii u due for a holiday release, and a cornacopia of games for both coming up and this all came up between e3 and ND. That's a lot of attention catching on nintendo's part.

Say what? Since when has Nintendo become LEGO's direct competitor? :wacko:

I'm not saying that some people might not choose to buy a Nintendo product instead of LEGO. But no more than someone would choose to buy a McDonald's meal instead of some Collectible Minifigures. Or a ticket to a Hannah Montanna concert instead of the Vampyre Castle. Basically, if you stretch it like this, *anyone* and *everyone* who sells a product are competitors of LEGO...

Say what? Since when has Nintendo become LEGO's direct competitor? :wacko:

I'm not saying that some people might not choose to buy a Nintendo product instead of LEGO. But no more than someone would choose to buy a McDonald's meal instead of some Collectible Minifigures. Or a ticket to a Hannah Montanna concert instead of the Vampyre Castle. Basically, if you stretch it like this, *anyone* and *everyone* who sells a product are competitors of LEGO...

Right now at least Nintendo are not only notcompetitirs, they are in collaborators. Nintendo is counting on the popularity of the Lego games to help drive sales of their new console. The great looking upcoming Lego Undrcover will be a Wii U exclusive, and looks to be one of the best of the so far announced release titles.

Well, we already got a "soccer" player :hmpf:

Yes, from one team. There are people who'd like another player from a different team, for the S4 player to play against. :wink: There was also a whole LEGO soccer/football theme several years ago, but that was long enough ago that many people now collecting the Minifigures probably weren't even into LEGO at the time. Also, soccer is vastly more popular around the world than American-style football. Soccer even has some followers here in the US, whereas hardly anybody outside the US has any interest in US football.

Yes, from one team. There are people who'd like another player from a different team, for the S4 player to play against. :wink: There was also a whole LEGO soccer/football theme several years ago, but that was long enough ago that many people now collecting the Minifigures probably weren't even into LEGO at the time. Also, soccer is vastly more popular around the world than American-style football. Soccer even has some followers here in the US, whereas hardly anybody outside the US has any interest in US football.

For myself, I would like a American style football player WITH BALL, uniquely to made rugby players with the ball :)

Well, we already got a "soccer" player :hmpf:

Yeah I have no problem with an American Football Player; my comment was an address to you deciding to diss football/soccer with your "ACTUAL football" comment. :hmpf: