Burf2000

A small taster on something I am working on

So this is something I am working on, a giant and I mean giant, LEGO Robot.

So the body can turn, I had to use monorail track as a bearing!

I am trying to work out if it should have arms, or 2 mini guns (last picture).

It is already over 2 meters and It does not even have a head. I plan to do internal fun stuff (idea from someone else) so that the frame is a lot more interesting to look at.

6754068417_56fd5a8291_z.jpg

6748851609_41cd5edc11_z.jpg

6417350683_de2b188af3_z.jpg

IMG_0293 by burf2000, on Flickr

Wow! That's getting big! :thumbup: Would the two miniguns be functional? Would they fire Zamor Spheres, Technic Competition Arrows, or something else?

it's getting bigger and bigger

can't wait to see this one finished

don't get to big or you will have to move to a warehouse :tongue:

Edited by bb15080

You seem to have changed a lot since i last saw you in one of your videos. (second picture) :laugh:

How easy could it be to make to black part bend,then you could have a arm come out to greet you. :laugh:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Wow! That's getting big! :thumbup: Would the two miniguns be functional? Would they fire Zamor Spheres, Technic Competition Arrows, or something else?

I can't see it ever being functional, the weight of the barrels bends the Lego already so need to review that, else go with arms.

You seem to have changed a lot since i last saw you in one of your videos. (second picture) :laugh:

How easy could it be to make to black part bend,then you could have a arm come out to greet you. :laugh:

Thats a bad picture of the wife, It could bend might go with 1 gun, 1 very functional arm.

Yeah looks like you’re making a robotic kitchen cabinet with automated security! :tongue:

where do you get the time and money to do big stuff like this? this thing should be pretty cool once done. :thumbup:

I sadly don't get that much time as have a wife and a baby :) I try to make sure they always come first.

I also have quite a large collection of Lego, its got to the point now where I am raiding unsorted stuff for parts though. Oh and Bricklink has helped.

Things get harder when you need 200 + of stuff. I am running out of technic pins to

The problem I face is I have 2 large built robots, plus 3 in development, plus some other models and so I had to make each robot a different colour as I don't have enough black and grey. I have probably used 2000 pins in the last 7 days

Had quite a good build day today, here is the upper body beginning to take shape

To give you an idea of how big this thing is, the plated bottom part contains 33 16 x 6 plates lol. Remember this is the upper body which will go on another nearly meter tall part.

The gun barrels will rotate and they do go up and down.

6823578485_b043fbb5d9_z.jpg

6823619819_95fec9f85f_z.jpg

Boy, when you say that you "Build Big Stuff", you're not kidding! :laugh: If you pick up the robot and walk over to your bathroom scale, how much does it weigh so far?

Thanks everyone of the positive feedback

Its sitting in my conservatory at the moment as its too big for anywhere else. I am actually going to reduce the black base by a foot as the proportions don't look great. Not saying I am doing it to a proportion but it just looks out of place (what do you think?).

Next step, create the head! Then I need to wire up lots of NXT's

6828723125_dfa36fef9f_z.jpg

Edited by Burf2000

I would leave the legs the way they are (unless you need the black parts for the head). The proportions are similar to those found on other Lego figures. You could always remove some once the robot is complete. Once you add the head, you may break the glass roof panels in your conservatory! It looks like the final version will be well over 2 meters high! *oh2*

How do you even reach that high?! I think you are taking lego to the limits.

tim

Lego is pretty strong and there is soooo much Lego in this robot. I have had to buy technic pins, plate and all types of things to strengthen it.

I also use simple techniques which I scale up. I used 300-400 2 x 6 plate to strengthen connecting beams

elevation is pricey. i've got a stand that i use regularly. skeletal design; 1x16 beams on end, 5 beams high (80L tall - 60 1x16 vertically oriented beams), horizontal bracing at the joints. long story short, each 16L section costs $15-$20. and it's still not tall enough for my needs! i need another two sections in order to use a seconds pendulum on it, and i've got bricks enough - just enough - for one more. damned, expensive hobby....

KEvron

Edited by KEvron

So thought I would update you all again. I have made the robot about 1ft shorter.

Tracks fitted, running 2 motors per track and powered by 2 NXT's via RS485 connection. This is controlled via a Android device.

Turntable wired up to however had some issues.

Compass fitted for automated movement.

6791949884_053ef8139c_z.jpg

Don't bring that robot outside, or the neighbors may become alarmed and the Bobbies might be knocking on your door! :tongue: Do you have a name for him yet?