Tearloch

Help with Building a Pleasure Dome

I have been slowly working on a LDD MOC of a 70's era Burlington Northern passenger train. One of the most challenging thoughts I have deals with making a Pleasure Dome car to go with the train. I have found a couple of examples on Flickr from swoofty and SavaTheAggie that will work.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or methods they have used or atleast thought about?

I was looking for some ideas on BrickLink, and I think I may be able to do something interesting using clear 3 x 4 x 6 curved top panels (using some decals to cover up parts). I would need a transition piece, and I think that the 3 x 3 x 6 corner panel convex may work, but I don't know how those 2 parts would look next to each other (I am at work and unable to LDD the design right now).

The 3 x 8 x 6 Bay Window would work great on an 8 wide model, but I am trying desperately to stick with the 6 wide MOCs (no reason in particular, I guess, other than sticking with what I have already).

Here are the instructions for the James Mathis designed Pleasure Dome (Swooftie link): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=119484

I started with these and made some changes to my own liking for my own SFSC Pleasure Dome.

I I've looked at alternatives for the dome as those glass pieces are hard to find in the US in the quantity needed but in the end I just ordered anough for 2 models from italy (as I'll be doing a Pleasure Dome in my EMD-7F update project).

The two curved panels do match-up quite well but they are a bit tall to use standing up. Maybe if you used 4 of them laid on their side that would work?

6750335061_95c89f5215.jpg

The these parts end up being 6 wide by about 11 and a half studs long, the dome in James Mathis' design is 12 studs long.

Here are the instructions for the James Mathis designed Pleasure Dome (Swooftie link): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=119484

I started with these and made some changes to my own liking for my own SFSC Pleasure Dome.

The two curved panels do match-up quite well but they are a bit tall to use standing up. Maybe if you used 4 of them laid on their side that would work?

6750335061_95c89f5215.jpg

The these parts end up being 6 wide by about 11 and a half studs long, the dome in James Mathis' design is 12 studs long.

Thanks. I have seen the Mathis design before (I think that is the one that SaveTheAggie used). That is exactly how I was thinking of using the parts you showed, and I guess the size would work out...may have to add a couple of the 3x3 quarter round plates to get them to mount.

I was actually wanting to see how the curve of those parts match up to the 3x4x6 panels with curved top...if I wanted to make the dome longer. I really wish LEGO made the 3x6x6 half cylinders in clear (like used on some of the tanker cars). Right now the only ones that would match in size are in white and purple....

Edited by Tearloch

6751218175_59d5f11504_z.jpg

From MLCad...

I do believe I own both of these parts so I can try to find them and confirm but it might take a while.

Edited by kyphur

I used two of the canopies,

30384.gif

from the Naboo fighter. (at least, that's where mine came from !)

They're not bad but are only 4 wide.

James

kyphur....that was my fear. I wonder what else matches that slope on those 3x4x6 panels? I need to do some playing, but I don't have the time tonight. Thanks for your help.

kyphur...thanks again...that was pretty much what I was thinking. The other issue that will pop up with that design is being able to transition from the round windows to the square body on both the roof and possibly the top part of the sides (depending on how high up you put the domes). It may even require a bit of creative cutting on the dome so that it blends in smoothly to the surrounding bricks (I am not a total purist, so this is not beneath me if the payoff is worth it :blush: ) I hopefully will get a chance to work on this tonight or tomorrow night, but thanks a ton for the visualization help.

On the domes from the Naboo fighter (sorry, my Star Wars knowledge is very low) I have thought about those, but I want to try and keep the dome as wide as possible to allow some minifig action inside....

Edited by Tearloch

Any really hate it when you get your mind stuck on a LEGO design problem, then no matter how hard to try and do some actual work, you can't stop thinking about it?

Anyway, I had some other thoughts on this:

This 8x6x2 double slope has possibilities, but I think the interior of it is not open, so that would mean no mini-figs enjoying the pleasure dome :angry: . I also am not sure if any other part would match the slope of this piece, so it may be useless in the end.

The 3x4x6 curved top panels I mentioned earlier, I did find some parts that I think will match up (theory, not tested).

The 1x3x2 curved modified brick and the 3x3x2 round corner brick may match up with this. The end pieces (3x3x2 corner bricks) would not be clear, but the rest of it should look really good if you decal the panels to make window frames and body transitions......

Oops, I almost forgot. I found this site dedicated to a really cool Super Chief set this guy did, and I can't for the life of me figure out what part he used on his pleasure dome......any help identifying that part(s)? The full site is here....it looks very nice, although I think his cars (while accurate scale wise) seem a bit long for a LEGO setup (unless he does big shows).

Edited by Tearloch

the side windows are slope brick 65, 2x2. The minifig dress without the center tube.

the end pieces are the windscreen from the flash speeder.

sorry I'm posting from my phone so I can't get exact info

the side windows are slope brick 65, 2x2. The minifig dress without the center tube.

the end pieces are the windscreen from the flash speeder.

sorry I'm posting from my phone so I can't get exact info

Ah, thanks again. I couldn't tell from the picture. I could swear there was come curve to it, but that does make sense now.

Ah, thanks again. I couldn't tell from the picture. I could swear there was come curve to it, but that does make sense now.

No Problem,

I had though about going that route but it seems like it would work best if you just want the model to look good from the outside but not contain Mini-Figs as the cavity would only be 2 wide between the sides if you use that Sloped Brick.

I think your first idea (conical corners) or the James Mathis route are currently the 2 best ways to accomplish a usable Pleasure Dome.

The other solution (by Swoofty) is okay but the trans clear macaroni bricks look heavy and clouded where you'd want the dome to feel light and airy.

Hi there.

Im in the progress of building a domecar myself. I have considered those panels myself.... Anyway, what category is the domewindows from James Mathis model from. Are they panels? -hinges? -glass? -doors? , zebras or ducksdefault_wacko.gifdefault_laugh_new.gif hehe. -I cant find them on Bricklink....

Here's another possible candidate for the Dome (pic is link):

92579.jpg

4 Wide by 8 long by 2 high. It would be a little long unless you make your dome car a little long...

Edited by kyphur

Here's another possible candidate for the Dome (pic is link):

92579.jpg

4 Wide by 8 long by 2 high. It would be a little long unless you make your dome car a little long...

You would have to hack off that handle....but it has possibilities.

I finally got a chance to play around on LDD last night. I think the option I like the best is the 3x4x6 curved top panels. I had originally thought I could cover up most of the panel with decals, but then I thought that might not work because I would have nothing inside of them to mount things (like a floor) onto. So then I thought about maybe cutting them down, so they are only 3 (9 plates, or maybe 10) tall. I plan to put some decals on anyway to make the frames for the glass. It would cover up any seem. If you cut it clean right at the plate on the bottom, you should be able to cement it back together pretty well. I know its cheating, but I am an engineer by trade and a woodworker by heart, so I don't mind getting creative for a specific end goal.

Here is what I got so far (without my cutting idea).

6762171909_0e26731ed8.jpg

Decal could cover up everything of the clear panels below where the green starts (or maybe a bit higher), of I could "modify" them to only be that tall overall and just use decals to "frame" the windows....

6762171633_96e1262083.jpg

I could try to come up with a decal to make those front and back transitions (the 3x3x2 quarter spheres look like windows with glare. If only those came in clear (are you reading this TLG???)

The problem I came upon with the other dome parts (3x3x6 quarter cylinders) was then when you mount them, you get a 1/2 plate gap to the tiles under it. I am sure there are ways past that, and I experimented a little, but I will be tough without pretty much making the entire car using SNOT (which I am a novice at....right now). I will keep experimenting with both.

I do like the 4 wide options, but that comes back to the mini-fig issue with these cars.

Edited by Tearloch

This is what I did for my WSOR Northern View dome car, based on a real dome car built for a business train. I am very happy with how it came out. When I get around to decaling the entire train I'll post pics of the brick built model.

Sal

WFB, WI

This is what I did for my WSOR Northern View dome car, based on a real dome car built for a business train. I am very happy with how it came out. When I get around to decaling the entire train I'll post pics of the brick built model.

Sal

WFB, WI

Says the file is not public....is that a brickshelf thing, or is it the settings?

Wow, totally new inspiration for the pleasure dome:

6771787217_daf2d7db83_z.jpg

Anyone ever seen this? What is amazing is that this photo was taken about 10 miles from where I grew up, and I even recognize the location. This is a full length pleasure dome with a neat observation window on the rear end. This could make a pretty cool MOC passenger car.....

Edited by Tearloch

Too bad this 4 x 3 x 3 panel only comes with that stupid round porthole. If that had a normal window in it, or came in a trans color, that would be perfect for a pleasure dome....oh well.

Says the file is not public....is that a brickshelf thing, or is it the settings?

Yes, its a brickshelf thing. I just uploaded the file before I posted it, and it usually takes a day or two for it to become public.

Sal

WFB, WI

Wow, totally new inspiration for the pleasure dome:

BN Glacier Full Dome Car with Observation Window**Flickr is acting up on my work computer, so I can't imbed the image (only can get the link for the full size image. Anyone feel free to imbed the image for me.....I am at work until tomorrow morning :angry: )**

Anyone ever seen this? What is amazing is that this photo was taken about 10 miles from where I grew up, and I even recognize the location. This is a full length pleasure dome with a neat observation window on the rear end. This could make a pretty cool MOC passenger car.....

The WSOR has a similar car (minus the dome), they call it a theatre car. I also built a model of it for my WSOR passenger fleet. Again, once I get it all decaled I'll post pictures of the whole train.

Sal

WFB, WI

The WSOR has a similar car (minus the dome), they call it a theatre car. I also built a model of it for my WSOR passenger fleet. Again, once I get it all decaled I'll post pictures of the whole train.

Sal

WFB, WI

Can't wait to see it.

Please make the images available again. I didn't get to see them when they were.

Sorry about that. I was playing with settings on Flickr and got carried away. They are public again, however I am not sure why they are not showing up again on EB.

Here is the link to the Flickr group with the pictures in question (last 2 that are only partial components).