Superkalle

Most wanted bricks for next LDD update

I keep seeing people wanting "older" BIONICLE parts, but what about the originals? I'm not entirely sure what to link to, but it seems like most of the original, basic pieces are missing - mostly the arms, legs, bodies of the original BIONICLE sets.

post-19682-133140538131.jpg

I keep seeing people wanting "older" BIONICLE parts, but what about the originals? I'm not entirely sure what to link to, but it seems like most of the original, basic pieces are missing - mostly the arms, legs, bodies of the original BIONICLE sets.

I see you're new here! Make sure to introduce yourself in the Hello! My name is... subforum, and welcome to Eurobricks!

There was a very big discussion on this on BZPower recently. I almost offered to recommend the parts for them here, but I couldn't phrase it any way that effectively skirted the "no mentioning sites with forums" rule while still making it clear what I was offering.

The problem with those 2001 BIONICLE parts is that it would take a lot of them to be able to do much with them. But anyway, here's a list of those that would be well-appreciated by that more nostalgic segment of the BIONICLE fan community:

Let's call these ten "high priority". They constitute all of the basic parts and some of the specialized parts needed to build the first two BIONICLE sets released, 8534 Tahu and 8540 Vakama. Their parts are also the foundation for all of the twelve "Toa" and "Turaga" sets from 2001.

These next ten would be lower priority. They are weapons and masks that allow for building more diverse characters, and allow the remaining five Toa characters from 2001 to be completed:

I'll forego expanding the list further, because these parts would be more than enough to satisfy the nostalgia of many BIONICLE fans, and more parts could always be requested at a later time.

Edited by Aanchir

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure this hairpiece isn't on LDD.

It's in there, has been since universe mode started. Just search the part number. Some of the wigs/hair are hard to find by sight - and some of them are astoundingly under-sculpted (the 'alpha team' crewcut for example)

It's in there, has been since universe mode started. Just search the part number. Some of the wigs/hair are hard to find by sight - and some of them are astoundingly under-sculpted (the 'alpha team' crewcut for example)

I did search the part number... Perhaps I'm remembering a different hairpiece? Oh well, at least I've got that piece.

I'd really love to have 4084 Tire Offset Tread Medium.

link

It would make it possible to fix a huge number of old sets.

Sorry if someone already asked for it.

Let's call these ten "high priority". They constitute all of the basic parts and some of the specialized parts needed to build the first two BIONICLE sets released, 8534 Tahu and 8540 Vakama. Their parts are also the foundation for all of the twelve "Toa" and "Turaga" sets from 2001.

These next ten would be lower priority. They are weapons and masks that allow for building more diverse characters, and allow the remaining five Toa characters from 2001 to be completed:

I'll forego expanding the list further, because these parts would be more than enough to satisfy the nostalgia of many BIONICLE fans, and more parts could always be requested at a later time.

I'm in definite agreement with this! :laugh:

Some other classic 2001 BIONICLE parts would be nice too, such as: (I don't know the official names, how did you find them out for those parts?)

{Stone Hammer, not sure what part no. is}

Those are all the other Turaga masks and weapons not previously mentioned or already on LDD. To complete the 2001 BIONICLE collection, we also need the Matoran parts, which are:

32579 (Head)

32577 (Torso)

32578 (Normal arm)

40507 (Throwing arm)

32576 (Foot)

While it is true that they were originally released in McDonalds promotions, all of these parts also made it into mainstream sets, so are considered quite important by me. :sweet:

And, of course, the Vahi.

Edited by King of Nynrah

I'm posistive were all thinking it, but I'm just going to say it. I want every thang, all the bricks, prints,

and colors that the Lego company has ever used and produced.

I'm in definite agreement with this! :laugh:

Some other classic 2001 BIONICLE parts would be nice too, such as: (I don't know the official names, how did you find them out for those parts?)

32567 VOODOO MASK 8 (Z-07)

32570 VOODOO MASK 7 (X-77)

32572 VOODOO MASK 9 (6-AG)

32574 VOODOO MASK 11 (1-BC)

32575 VOODOO MASK 12 (2-BA)

40340 HTO TOOL 2 / HTO DRILLER

40582 HTO ICEHOE

{Stone Hammer, not sure what part no. is}

40341 HTO TOOL 3 / HTO CIRCULAR SAW

Those are all the other Turaga masks and weapons not previously mentioned or already on LDD. To complete the 2001 BIONICLE collection, we also need the Matoran parts, which are:

32579 (Head) MCDONALD HEAD

32577 (Torso) MCDONALD BODY

32578 (Normal arm) MCDONALD ARM

40507 (Throwing arm) MCDONALDS LAUNCHDEVICE

32576 (Foot) MCDONALD FOOT

While it is true that they were originally released in McDonalds promotions, all of these parts also made it into mainstream sets, so are considered quite important by me. :sweet:

And, of course, the Vahi.

41413 MASK FOR MEDIA

The official names I used are from service.LEGO.com, but they're not that important and sometimes a single part will be listed under multiple names. The number should tell the LDD team everything they need to know to identify the part. I've gone ahead and listed the names I know above in blue, though, in case you were curious.

The Stone Hammer is part 40581 HTO HAMMER.

After slobbering all over those hi-res images of the LOTR sets and wanting to do a bit of digital MOC in LDD I'm really desperate to get the 98283 bricks. I'm currently using 2877 bricks as replacement placeholders, but it just won't feel right until the brick-bricks are available.

After slobbering all over those hi-res images of the LOTR sets and wanting to do a bit of digital MOC in LDD I'm really desperate to get the 98283 bricks. I'm currently using 2877 bricks as replacement placeholders, but it just won't feel right until the brick-bricks are available.

It's in there. Just make sure you're in LDD Extended (3rd tab in the splash screen), search for the part number you've got right there, and you've got it.

40243 Newel-step

This piece appears again in a new set (one of the Monster Fighters sets, if I remember correctly), so I think we will see it in LDD soon.

It's in there. Just make sure you're in LDD Extended (3rd tab in the splash screen), search for the part number you've got right there, and you've got it.

Whaaaaa! :blush:

I never even thought to look in the Extended palette. For some reason I figured the last update was showing all the bricks in the regular LDD palette too.. Oops!

Thanks! :D

@ Lemelisk: That's great news! :classic:logoshort.gif

"LEGO Group Acquisition of LDraw.org Parts Library Announced"

"LDraw.org and LEGO System A/S jointly announced today that LDraw.org has agreed to sell its rights in the development of the LDraw Parts Library to the LEGO Group, the publisher of the virtual building software LEGO Digital Designer (LDD), for $5.35 million. The LDraw.org Steering Committee members have been offered employment by the LEGO Group, who will continue software development and operations from the former LEGO Universe studio in Louisville, Colorado.

"“We’re excited about the integration of the LDraw Parts Library to fill the gaps of old virtual LEGO parts currently missing in LDD, but re-engineered by the fans and are happy to have the core of the community officially join the LEGO team,” said Søren Askildson, Senior Executive Vice President at the LEGO Software Engineering; Development Department. “This acquisition demonstrates our commitment both to the ongoing success of LEGO Digital Designer and to an overall strategy to expand our brand online.”

"“LDraw.org’s focus is developing a solid easy-to-use library on an open document file format, and publishing the next generation of virtual building CAD systems,” said Willy Tschager, Member of the LDraw.org Steering Committee . “We’re proud of the library our community built, and are certain that it has a bright future. The transition of members of our team to the LEGO Group enables us to focus completely on internally-published, free-to-play software businesses.”

"LEGO System A/S entered into a free-data-for-advisory relationship with LDraw.org as to build LEGO Universe in 2006. The acquisition of the rights to the library and the ability to transition members of the team to continue work on the library follows the fulfillment of the LEGO Universe development contract.

"LDD as a virtual building experience attracts several million people each year to build a huge range of amazing creations. The LDraw System of Tools is a popular system of free software tools for modeling LEGO creations in 3D on a computer. The parts library that is central to the programs is under continuous maintenance and extension by the LDraw community since 1997."

Edited by DLuders

I am not a lawyer and don't really want to stir the pot, but I do have a few questions about all of this.

1) Why is LEGO buying a library of parts they likely already have most of in CAD form? Those instruction manuals aren't drawn by hand I'm guessing.

2) What of all the time and effort put in by volunteers in creating this parts library? Did they wave all rights as part of some "user generated part contribution agreement" or something?

2a) Will this not be seen by the volunteers as a rather offensive move? $5.35 million ain't pocket change. I can't imagine the guy who laser scanned in all the Fabuland heads is real thrilled about this, for example. Unless he is one of the $5.35 million.

3) What is the future of LDraw and the LDraw parts library? Is it now essentially over since the core of the LDraw group are now TLG employees presumably working on LDD? The LDraw steering committee member states that he expects LDraw to have a bright future, so is TLG basically just paying for the current library and allowing LDraw to continue unabated? Will they have access to all future user generated parts?

The whole announcement is rather vague and poorly worded. I'm curious to know what the actual effects of this are, both for LDD and LDraw.

It appears that LDD will be updated with the entire LDraw library.

Source

It appears that the news on the ldraw site is dated "April 1st" too... mmm... :tongue:

It appears that the news on the ldraw site is dated "january 1st" too... mmm... :tongue:

And... time to unplug the internet. :hmpf:

And... time to unplug the internet. :hmpf:

:laugh:

To be honest though, I fell for it first too at first :blush:

Sure was a good April 1st prank. Great work from the guys over at Ldraw.org :thumbup:

Did not find anything resembling a bracket 2x2-1x4 (part #2422)

and could also use something like 2x4x2 winch assembly (part #73037)

These are used fairly often in the 80's and 90's era sets. A lot of official LDD'd sets could be made more accurate with this.

Oh yeah still like to have complete Monorail tracks, bogies, motor, etc so I can recreate the 3 sets in LDD. Since LEGO doesn't offer the option to buy your custom creation through LDD, hiding obsolete parts is moot point.

Edited by Lego Otaku

It appears that the news on the ldraw site is dated "April 1st" too... mmm... :tongue:

And it says april fools at the start of the title.