MODs & MOCs: Streamlined 7938, 7939 & Other Creations

Hello all train fans!

I just posted my introduction in "Hello! My name is..." and now I decided to show some of my train-related stuff.

I'm quite new with LEGO trains because I started with 7939 which acquired for Christmas 2010 and for last Christmas I purchased 7938. I made a slight modification to the 7938 to make it look more streamlined. Here's the result:

IMG_1148_mod2.jpg

I "streamlined" also the 7939 engine and built a tank wagon using the 7938 roof elements:

IMG_1150_mod2.jpg

I also designed a passenger wagon with LDD and ordered parts for 3 wagons. There's a plenty of room for luggage below the floor and on the roof:

IMG_1155_mod2.jpg

IMG_1156_mod2.jpg

IMG_1157_mod2.jpg

Here's also a quick view of my track layout that fits perfectly in the 2x1,5m space that I currently have reserved for this purpose. The layout uses parts from 7939, 7938, 7896, 7499, 4519 and 2x7895:

IMG_1165_mod2.jpg

Happy train-ing!

- Olli

Welcome!

I like the way you modded these trains. I don't know if i would do the same, but you did different things.... and that is always good and inspiring. I also like the black roof on the 7938 set...

Nice work!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I like what you did with the red train. I am thinking of something similar. I really don't like the pantograph thing as then the trains feel wrong unless you model the masts all around the track. When I was a youngster I had an 'N' gauge layout that had a DB railcar in red that was just a normal train. It kind of looked like the red passenger train without its pantograph, just stretched a little.

Nice layout I like your solution with the railway crossing :thumbup:

Nice to hear.

I wanted to make a layout with ability to run two trains on separate loops and also optionally use as much as possible of the total track length in one loop. I downloaded AnyRail trial version and started to study different solutions. Soon I found out that a 4519 crossing was needed and so I bought one from eBay. The 50 element limit in AnyRail trial version was somewhat a limiting factor in performing calculations for which track elements would be needed but I calculated that the track elements from the sets mentioned above should suffice. The other 7895 was needed mainly to get additional 4 curved track elements but because I now had two additional switches I decided to modify the layout to include a side track where you can park a train for loading/unloading passengers/cargo while another train can run on the main track at the same time. The side track is also handy for parking a train or wagons when running another train on the main track.

When building the layout I could use almost all available track parts so that only one flex element was left over. And when I managed to have all this in the very limited space that was readily available for this purpose, I am quite satisfied. :sweet:

I am liking the layout too very much.

I will use it for inspiration for my own layouts, many thanks!

I made a slight modification to the 7938 to make it look more streamlined. Here's the result

Nice mods on the 7938. I'm redesigning mine now (cmon bricklink deliveries) Going for a Horizion Express type.

I believe the original is too tall, especially compared to the Maersk and the 7939 cargo trains.

Will post pics once completed.

i too find the layout interesting, without the side track all points are at one side and reachable by one person.