Henchmen4Hire

1965 Corvette Manta Ray

indexed.gif V-LV-58A

From the little research I've done, the Stingrays are smaller sporty cars while the Manta Ray was designed as a full-size car apparently I am completely wrong :) . It is magnificent. I want to be strapped into one when I die and thrown into the ocean.

Notes

-I should probably shorten it by a stud or two, maybe move the rear wheel forward by a stud too

-It's horribly unstable right now, I just wanted to get the basic shape done. Now that it's out of my system I can get some sleep :wacko:

-They're supposed to be dark blue with white misting underneath, but they just look black in pictures I've seen.

lugfyg.jpg

Edited by Phred

I like it, there are many excellent ideas in it and you definitely have a unique style which fits the extreme design of the Manta Ray very well.

As you already said the proportions can still be improved. There is quite a limitation concerning the length in comparison to the dimension of the wheels. Maybe the stability issues can be solved if you fit in a strong middle beam (which can be even 2 wide here instead of 1 in a 7 wide).

I am looking forward to the result (and to more 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 wide Vettes :wink: ).

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

It looks great though I think the size is off. From what I can tell, the Mako Shark II debuted in 65, and the Manta Ray in 69 as a restyled Mako Shark. It doesn't seem that it was a fullsize car though.

Amazing!

This is great! It really captures the stingray/ manta ray shape. My favorite parts are how you did the rear window and the wheel arches. I also agree that it looks a little long. I thing dark blue works great, maybe you could do the interior in white.

Can't wait for updates!

Dakar

I like the design, but its too flat and long. IRL its curvy and muscular to the point of being cartoonish. If you are going to go with 8-wide, it needs to be taller which will help disguise the excessive length. I like the rear split window however.

Thanksss everyone for the input :) Here's an update

-Moved rear wheel forward by 1 stud

-Shortened rear by 1 stud

-Changed slopes over front wheels

-The wedges had to be repositioned in back

(there are a few 1x1 plates missing in front, ignore that :P )

lkdye.jpg

Oh yeah, and when I say that the car is unstable, it's because it's still a rough draft :tongue: Usually I build the car's exterior first to make it look as good as possible, then I work on the insides since it usually doesn't matter what that looks like. There's a big 6 by "X" stud plate that runs along the bottom of my cars (sometimes 2 or 3), that holds everything together, along with some more plates integrated into the car's insides.

...And no wonder I couldn't tell the difference between the Mako and this Manta's body :tongue:

Edited by DrNightmare

There are still issues with its proportions. The body is way too long for the size of those wheels. The front overhang looks good, but there is too much space between the wheels and there is too much overhang behind the rear wheels.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Maybe I should shorten the hood by 1 stud next to the windscreen? Between the door hinge and the front wheel are two studs of length, this would reduce that to 1 stud length

Guess I could get rid of the upside-down 1x4 slope in back to thin that area...

Edited by DrNightmare

Maybe I should shorten the hood by 1 stud next to the windscreen?...

I don't think one is enough. Look at a side photo of the real car and compare your proportions in relation to the size of the wheels. I looks too stretched.

3218513926_cafa88646e.jpg

lkdye.jpg

I now feel that you have the height correct, but the length is wrong.

1. Move the 2x1 slope back one stud.

2. Move the 4x1 curved slope forward.

3. Shorten the hood just infront of the windshield by two studs at least. While you may need to do a different hinge design, you can keep the same one by having the clip brick come out as opposed to back from the front wheel.

4. The slope after the front wheel should be longer than the front one.

5. You may have to use a different slope for the rear; the flat two studs on top extend the roofline back too far. The rear is too fat and chunky, it slopes to a point.

I do like the way you did the side pipes though.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Feh, this car is nothing but trouble :tongue:

-Changed wheels just to see what would happen

-fixed front curves

Still not 100% happy with the rear (the top has to slope to the rear more sharply, it's just not happening), doesn't matter, I'm getting rid of the wheels and turning this into a hovercar lol

jkgi.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it; its still a work in progress.

You're right, that rear underside is a bear to do.

MantaRay1.jpg

MantaRay2.jpg

MantaRay3.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

The IRL version looks better because it seems that the hood is higher

Edited by prateek

I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it; its still a work in progress.

You have designed a nice Vette here, it is beefy and nicely curved, I like it a lot. The color design is great, too. But concerning the proportions there still seems to be something to do as well. If I look at the picture of the real thing I get the impression that a Corvette Manta Ray is one thing above all: extremely flat and low. I think DrNightmare has done a better job here so far, especially at the frontend.

Another point is the distance between the wheels which seems too short in terms of a Manta Ray (they don't spin this way, do they :wink:?). And a third point, rather a question: The solution with the hinges at the rear is nice but did you manage to fix the curved slopes there? If so, I would very much like to see how you have done it (jumper plates?).

Anyway, a nice build. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Edited by ER0L

Here you go guys, I fixed it:

SPACE MANTA RAY! :laugh:

gihk.jpg

gotoAndLego - That's a cool wheel/mudguard combo, didn't know those would fit together. Maybe you could add some Ninjago throwing stars for the detail in their centers?

I like the shape you got, but it's definitely more Cuttlefish than Manta Ray. :laugh: (Hell, mine is too! Too much junk in the trunk :tongue: )

Edited by DrNightmare

WOW! Now this is still better than the hover Manta Ray I suggested! That's the real DrNighmare stuff, I'd like to watch the movie they will shoot with this one. Will there be a Mad Max in Space, too? :wink:

I dig the Space Manta a lot.

First is the photo of the flipped underside, which was too chunky; the thing that would have saved it would be 1x5 and 1x6 straight slopes. Ignore the two differently colored wings, I was testing how it would look if I raised the dark grey beltline one plate. I accomplished this using the notched plate hinges. Just flip one side so the studs are reversed on one side and use plates to space it properly.

Under1.jpg

Next I built it with stepped plates which gives a better angle.

Under2.jpg

So here is my final design, I'm as happy with it as I'm ever going to be.

6776528819_2a1e71d35f_z.jpg

6776530095_eba11982f4_z.jpg

6776531525_2458cea47b_z.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

First is the photo of the flipped underside, which was too chunky; the thing that would have saved it would be 1x5 and 1x6 straight slopes. Ignore the two differently colored wings, I was testing how it would look if I raised the dark grey beltline one plate. I accomplished this using the notched plate hinges. Just flip one side so the studs are reversed on one side and use plates to space it properly.

Nice, but I think it is still too tall and too short. It is a Vette without doubt, but rather in a cartoonish way. What about the wheels and the hinges (see questions above)? Anyway, thanks for sharing.

(First I thought about suggesting a new thread, since this is a different MOC from somebody else, but since DrNightmare has flown off into space I think he doesn't mind. :laugh: )

Nice, but I think it is still too tall and too short. It is a Vette without doubt, but rather in a cartoonish way. What about the wheels and the hinges (see questions above)? Anyway, thanks for sharing.

(First I thought about suggesting a new thread, since this is a different MOC from somebody else, but since DrNightmare has flown off into space I think he doesn't mind. :laugh: )

Here are photos of the flipped slopes. I went with the notched hinges because they do a better job of keeping everything in place. You are correct that the wheels don't spin, but there isn't a better solution. I feel that the tires Lego uses are a bit too chunky for a Muscle car.

Since this isn't a play set, I went with better accuracy. I'm happy with it as my first automotive MOC.

Under3.jpg

I had thought about doing a separate thread, but I wanted to show that Dr Nightmare inspired me. His Space Manta Ray reminds me of a Space Police hot-rod.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Oooooh, that's a neat trick with the hinge pieces, usually I go to the Megablocks piece for stuff like that m1146.png (studs on both sides), but it's good to see LEGO can do it too!

I don't mind anyone posting their version here, everyone brings new ideas to a vehicle's build and that's always a good thing

i love the first manta ray that DrNightmare created for one of my lego car shows. (all credit to DrNightmare) Is there any way to get it or buy it?