rriggs

MOC - Car Dealerhsip

Hi

My next MOC is now underway. I wanted something with a bit more to it than the double decker coach I did last week. I wanted something that I could fettle and perfect over the next few weeks. As a result I knew I had to do a building and having spent an awful lot of my adult life in car dealerships thought this would be a good one to try.

So far, I have finished the shell of the building to which I need to tile the floors, add furniture and equipment and staff.

Then, outside I need to build up the lot and sort the signage out before, finally, adding some cars for sale.

This is the progress so far (C&C welcome!):

An overall view of the building. The showroom is to the right hand side and the service department the left. The sales customers get the grand entrance, the service customers slightly less so! It is based fairly heavily on a typical modern Ford dealership in the UK. This was for two reasons, one I have a lot of grey and white which are the predominate colours and because I worked for Ford for nearly 10 years so their dealerships are a home from home for me:

aImag0003.jpg

Service customers use the white double door in the middle of the building as H&S prevents them from actually going into the workshops... There is an archway from the showroom into the service reception:

A closeup of the front of the showroom with the pillars that are very typical of a UK dealership:

aImag0004.jpg

The interior of the showroom. A nice open span with room for a couple of full size cars or up to 4 3177-sized cars. This will all be tiled eventually. Probably white in the showroom and grey in the workshop - but that kinda depends on my tiles stocks so may change...!

aImag0002.jpg

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Very nicely done. I'm looking forward to how you do the interior. I also like that you've decorated and added items to the roof. In my opinion, the roof is a commonly skipped spot so it's nice to see that someone uses it.

Looks fantastic so far 'rrigs', is going to be a Ford dealer....why, you may ask....because if you are going to use the Ford logo - you must go to their website and apply to use it. I did for mine....though my ford dealer is more old school 80's in design.

I look forward to seeing the interior come about as well as the exterior yards. Need advice, just ask. :classic:

Keep going and Brick On 'rrigs' ! :classic:

While I am waiting for a Bricklink order to be able to the tile the interior floors, I have been doing a bit of landscaping outside the dealership:

aImag0006.jpg

That makes three of is with blue on white car dealerships! :laugh: The lot looks great, that's something mine is lacking. I can't wait to see this as it progresses.

Hey, that looks really great so far, the flowers and sign are nice but I think the bushes in the front should be in some plant pots if y'know what I mean. Ooh ooh, idea, use tires for plantpots? Maybes not for bushes but for small flowers and stuff, food for thought.

Good job, look forward to updates :thumbup:

That makes three of is with blue on white car dealerships! :laugh: The lot looks great, that's something mine is lacking. I can't wait to see this as it progresses.

It's blue, white and grey because it's going to be a Ford dealer and these are the colours of Ford dealers in the UK.

I think the bushes in the front should be in some plant pots if y'know what I mean

I thought the same and the plants are in pots since this photo was taken! :sweet:

It's blue, white and grey because it's going to be a Ford dealer and these are the colours of Ford dealers in the UK.

Ahh I see, I meant to ask what brand this would be but that answers it. LT's is also a Ford dealer, while mine is meant to be my own version of Ford, Bolt.

Ahh I see, I meant to ask what brand this would be but that answers it. LT's is also a Ford dealer, while mine is meant to be my own version of Ford, Bolt.

The signage will be the next stage. I need to make decals of Ford logos and the signs for service reception, showroom, etc.

I really want to crack on with the interior fittings (desks in the showroom, ramps and tools in the workshop, etc) but there's no point until I get the floors tiled.

Need to build some cars at some stage I guess too! :blush:

Edited by rriggs

Looking good 'rriggs', don't forget what I wrote the other day about asking Ford to use their oval logo especially if ever going to show it in public. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'rriggs' ! :grin:

Edit - you can borrow any idea from my two Ford Dealerships I have built in the past two years. :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger

Looking good 'rriggs', don't forget what I wrote the other day about asking Ford to use their oval logo especially if ever going to show it in public. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'rriggs' ! :grin:

Edit - you can borrow any idea from my two Ford Dealerships I have built in the past two years. :classic:

Thanks LT, I'll have to revisit your dealerships and double-check what I might want to borrow in that case! :tongue:

From my Ford days I have contacts at Ford Motor Company and already have permission to use the branding...

Cheers

Rog

Great Building and areal. Very authentic. I like it a lot, especially the little details like the sign at the streetside.

Can't wait for the grand opening. :classic:

Keep up the great work!

Farnheim

Thanks LT, I'll have to revisit your dealerships and double-check what I might want to borrow in that case! :tongue:

From my Ford days I have contacts at Ford Motor Company and already have permission to use the branding...

Cheers

Rog

That's forward thinking 'rriggs', now my Ford Dealership starts HERE and ends HERE. :wink:

Seems like structure needs to be about 2-4 studs taller. Car dealerships tend be spacious with tall ceilings.

I was going to make the same suggestion -- 2 bricks higher in the showroom. Two-story atrium lobbies are common now.

I was going to make the same suggestion -- 2 bricks higher in the showroom. Two-story atrium lobbies are common now.

I'm going to look at increasing the roof height a bit as the car inside the showroom did look a little squashed, however the trend amongst dealerships in the UK is for low single storey dealerships and that's what I'm trying to portray.

I'm going to look at increasing the roof height a bit as the car inside the showroom did look a little squashed, however the trend amongst dealerships in the UK is for low single storey dealerships and that's what I'm trying to portray.

The dealership I work at is very old and the showroom has a very low roof. A lot of the other dealerships I've been to have a two story open showroom, but with my MOC I went for a single floor with a high roof.

Very nice build. I haven't seen too many car dealerships in Lego form. It looks really nice compared to all the real life dealerships I've seen around here. Normally they are pretty boring, but this one is looking good. You almost want to buy a car from them just because they look nicer than the competition.

Keep up the good work.

Awesome dealership 'rrigs'! The exterior is very nicely done, not over the top, and the landscaping adds to it's appeal. I read a few of the earlier posts regarding contacting Ford about using their logo on public photos. Is this a serious matter when it comes to this kind of thing? Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see it finished default_classic.gif

A couple of updates - taking into account some of the great feedback I have had so far:

Firstly, I have done some work on the interior of the showroom. The roof has been raised by 1 row of bricks but also I have re-engineered the roof so that the support beams and pillars are no longer required. The overall effect creates much more room inside:

Before:

aImag0002.jpg

After:

aImag0013.jpg

There's also been some more work outside. Obviously, the showroom roof is now higher so the roof ornaments have had to be moved around a bit. There's also now pots for the plants in front of the showroom and some customer parking spaces (although I'm not completely happy with these yet).

aImag0011.jpg

Orders have gone into Bricklink for floor tiles (400 tiles in all!). I've gone with white for the showroom and tan for the service department (to break up the grey a bit and because they're cheaper! :tongue: ). I have also ordered some 2x4 grey tiles for me to make my signage with.

More updates soon.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Ah, yes I forgot to say about the ceiling clearance, mine had no celing....due to designer's choice ! :laugh:

Plus 'rriggs' is correct in his design so far everyone, small country dealers are very similar to his creation.

Is there a fancy reception area going into ? :wink:

Looking better every update 'rriggs' and Brick On Drive On ! :thumbup:

P.S. the collectable minifig mechanic would be very handy for your workshop. :wink:

What a unique building you have in progress there, 'rriggs'! I eagerly await the completed project! :classic:

OK, I have received my tiles from Bricklink so time for another quick update:

Inside the showroom:

The floor is now tiled and I have modified the roof so it is removable for better access. The studs randomly around the floor are there to take the furniture once I have built it.

aImag0063.jpg

Inside the workshop. Again all tiled with studs here and there for the furniture in the workshop reception area on the left where the tiles are white. On the right in the workshop itself the tiles are a more practical colour and there are studs points for the ramps and other equipment that will be going in soon. The roof is also removable on this side of the building too.

aImag0065.jpg

Outside the main changes are the tiled walkways up to the doors and the porch roof (where the clock is) which now sits a row lower than the rest of the roof.

aImag0067.jpg

Next will be the interior fittings and the signs (which I have printed but need to build an oval shaped background for one piece which is tricky!).

TTFN

Rog