Derfel Cadarn

Lindinis Varro

Lindinis Varro, an Avalonian Embassy in the harsh north of Mitgardia. Built on the ruins of an old ruined outpost surrouned by an icy lake, the Embassy has stood for many years now as an outpost of Avalonia and Mitgardia relations. Through the Embassy we try to keep a good relationship with our mighty northen brothers of Historica. We take it upon ourselves to protect this area of land in respect to our hosts who have kindly let us have this Embassy built here. The chief of the Embassy is a man named Prylig, who has been stationed here for so long that he is more Mitgardian in his ways than Avalonian and can speak their ancient language very well. However, he is a true proud Avalonian at heart, and is aided by a small group of Avalonian soldiers who are stationed here also. The Mitgardians have not had much contact with us these last few months and we fear what this means, however, it was written in agreement that if any trouble were to come between our two great lands, then our emissaries would have a safe passage home. Lets hope it will never come to this.......

6694918803_9e290a019f_z.jpg

6691496411_275c40088f_z.jpg

6691512221_de33e4f0aa_z.jpg

6694858653_c6ef7be91d_z.jpg

6694871347_e61094d9d1_z.jpg

6694865167_6406ce4c2a_z.jpg

6694878073_baf6f2e7c4_z.jpg

6693986265_91df32e24c_z.jpg

6694016603_17b7e9ec57_z.jpg

This is my first attempt at building a winter snow scene and you have to understand how hard it was to resist using all the usual green! :laugh: Its partially inspired by Dragon's Reach from Skyrim which I do actually plan to build a propper version of at a latter date. I also wanted to a new baseplate design that would allow for a small subtle use of Avalonia's color.

I will add the base design and a few other notable features in the guide, as people might find them useful.

Thanks for viewing, now I can get cracking on some more Avalonian builds :classic:

A great creation! :wub: I't has a fierce Norse look, and although there is no green, nice job on the snow! :classic: I'm also really liking the design of your bridge and npu of the "square barrel" used as wall-element. :thumbup:

Edited by Ecclesiastes

You sir, you sir, you cease to amaze me and everyone else with your magnificent amount of detail. Just to name a few, the use of those white plumes as snow in the bushes and the border are amazing, I never would have thought of using those. Truly inspirational, your collection of bricks must be impressive, I can't imagine how much you'd spend on BL orders to get all of those pieces, those trans medium blue plates don't come cheap and the time you put into your mocs to achieve this level of detail words can't describe, you leave me speechless, I know I'm kissing bottom here but you deserve it :cry_happy::thumbup:

Edited by CptMugwash

Spot on again Dc! Great job on this one, fun to see you stepping out of your comfort zone and build in a snowy landscape!

Great details like the barrels as walls, the entrance to the embassy and the snowy effect on the roofs! The custom made flag is also perfect! Where did you find those colours?! They match Avalonia perfect!

The pics with the maps behind is a nice touch!

Can´t wait to see more from you great Leader!

Edited by de Gothia

As always I'm left with a dropped jaw when I see your Lego creations. I really like how you captured the winter landscape and put your typical house in it. Great job!!

Wonderful creation as always.

There is so much to love about this. as always it's all the little details.

But you always find such an amazing way to intertwining it all together.

Bravo

Awesome creation! (as usual with your creations) I love everything about it.

Hey your pretty good, ever think of doing a tutorial? ;)

So many nice details that I and many others try to emulate in our MOCs. Great inspirations for us all.

I would love to see more photos though, especially of the tower portion and the part above the windows on the side is intriguing as well.

Looking forward to the Mystic Isle build you eluded to as well!

Lovely work Luke. You've captured the northern atmosphere well. The snow work is excellent - particularly around the bushes etc (as I mentioned on Flickr). There's a lot of lovely small details to admire.

I would say that the water surrounding the building is a bit bland being a simple studs up construction - for most AFOLs it would be acceptable, but I feel that for a builder of your talent (being one of my favourites! :thumbup: ) I would say I expected more. I am being harsh here though, it's only a very minor part of an otherwise fantastic MOC.

Edited by Basiliscus

Wow! third time I watched the pictures this week, and still it's amazing!

Everywhere you could possible imagine some details, you did it!

Also the base is something most of us only can dream of...

About the water: I don't really agree about being bland. It gives a cold glance at the water.

Indeed, genious. But I think that is something, we expect from our leader ;)

As these challenges are to improve ourselves, I'd like to add something:

The build itself has a very norse look and feel but to me, the Avalonian part is missing too much. Sure we should incorporate both settings, but to me it feels that it's too much Mitgardian - like we Avalonians bought a Mitgardian house, put our flag on it and named it embassy.

Don't get me wrong, the build itself is excellent. It perfectly suits the Mitgardian feel and I myself think that it pushes Mitgardia even more and that Derfel once more establishes a style. For another guild.

The inspiration from Skyrim is in fact not to be overlooked ;) - marched over the bridge to Dragon's Reach once more just 30 minutes ago ;) But anyway, I'm loving this.

Now I need to refurbish some of my ideas.. Didn't even start with this challenge :/ (but my reservoir of dark green cheese slopes is constantly growing ;) )

Best regards, i hope you aren't offended!

Sir Moriartus

Thankyou for all your great comments!

The material I used for the banner was bought at my local Hobbycraft shop, I took in a dark green and sand green brick and went through all the materials they had till I found a matching colour. Its pretty much as close as you can get.

I didn't mess too much around with the water as there is only a small section showing around the moc, If It had been a large open lake then I would have added something to it, but I left it bare as I didn't want to cover what little part there is showing.

Indeed, genious. But I think that is something, we expect from our leader ;)

As these challenges are to improve ourselves, I'd like to add something:

The build itself has a very norse look and feel but to me, the Avalonian part is missing too much. Sure we should incorporate both settings, but to me it feels that it's too much Mitgardian - like we Avalonians bought a Mitgardian house, put our flag on it and named it embassy.

Don't get me wrong, the build itself is excellent. It perfectly suits the Mitgardian feel and I myself think that it pushes Mitgardia even more and that Derfel once more establishes a style. For another guild.

The inspiration from Skyrim is in fact not to be overlooked ;) - marched over the bridge to Dragon's Reach once more just 30 minutes ago ;) But anyway, I'm loving this.

Now I need to refurbish some of my ideas.. Didn't even start with this challenge :/ (but my reservoir of dark green cheese slopes is constantly growing ;) )

Best regards, i hope you aren't offended!

Sir Moriartus

No offense taken, I like to hear some critique as it helps me to improve. The way I looked at it was, its an old Mitgardian ruin that has been built up with wooden timber sections by the Avalonians. I suppose it does look very Mitgardian, but I think I just really wanted to build something inspired by Skyrim, so it just naturally turned out looking more Mitgardian.

Thanks for your comments and feedback, always most appreciated :thumbup:

A little different in color and style from your other works, but still very "you".

Very detailed, good landscaping, a few new techniques... a very nice addition to our lands (technically it is our lands I suppose)...

I'm at a loss for words, Derfel. This is simply too good. Everything about this MOC is unbelievable. Seriously! I love the bridge in particular, but maybe that's just because it stands out a bit because when I look at the rest of the MOC I am, once again, rendered quite speechless. This has to be one of the best builds even amongst your collection. Your best for Avalonia, eh?