SuperSirLink

Frigate in progress

You've done a nice job on the rigging so far :thumbup:

I have a few suggestions but if you don't want to be accurate you don't need to apply them.

On every large sailing ship I know, the main yard (the lowest one) on every mast is at the same heigth as the first "crow's nest", which is also the place where all the shrouds lead to.

So two of your yards, and the shrouds, have been placed "wrong".

And as you can see here, the shrouds lead much further towards the stern. And they become a lot wider towards the deck.

Anyway, these are just suggestions, but nevertheless I think it's a great ship!

I think I see my issue... the lower yards on both my foremast and mainmast shouldn't even be there... I was going to use the lego techniuqe for using it to hold the lower part of the sail. Looking at the reference ship, there should only be 3 yards on each mast (your reference matches that).

Shifting them back and making them more trapezoidal maybe more of a challenge... I would have to start over, since the verticals would need to be different lengths... That is not completely out of the question though, as I am not 100% satisfied with these (would have like to get the ratlines tighter)... I used a 4 long tube at the top and a 6 long at the bottom... May need to spread it out to 8 long on the bottom... I also want to double up on the number of robot hands that mount them to the side of the hull...

This ship is amazing! That rope looks leathery, what type is it?

By the way, the cabin is spectacular!

:jollyroger:

it is .8mm hemp cord, I got 200ft of it from Michael's for $5. It's pretty close to in size to the lego cord (with studs on the end) but feels less like nylon and more like a waxed cotton.

Edit:

Okay, did some rework of the masts...

img_1113.jpg

Edited by SuperSirLink

another small update... Reworked the shrouds... I angled them back towards the stern as best as could be done (without doing alot of rework to the hull). I also made them more trapezoidal, though the pictures don't show that very well... I think it looks better than before. Got one more to finish, then to build the upper platforms and then add the upper shrouds...

img_1192.jpg

img_1193.jpg

img_1194.jpg

Another update... Cannons are in place, finished the bow and anchors, and most of the rigging... Still need to do the sails. Next update I have will hopefully be finished shots...

Gun deck guns are held in with the 11L Lego string with studs on the ends, the main deck guns are tied in with custom rigging. All the knots are clove hitches and taunt lines, probably not exact for the use, but nice an clean...

I think there might be too much clear in the water and needs more of the light blue...

In taking the pics, I notices I goofed my anchors, so the first few shots are before the rework...

img_1365.jpg

img_1367.jpg

img_1374.jpg

Here the gun deck:

img_1232.jpg

img_1238.jpg

Main deck guns:

img_1328.jpg

img_1396.jpg

img_1386.jpg

img_1316.jpg

Edited by SuperSirLink

wow It looks so good :O. and I truly love your water!

Bart

Looks great! The hinged sides and curved bow technique turned out nice on your frigate. The anchor is a good design too, might have to borrow bits of that :pir-classic: I really like the brickbuilt cannon and tiled deck too. Nice job, looking forward to seeing her under sail!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

This ship is marvellous! :pir-wub: A very inspiring build! :thumbup:

Your attention to detail and accuracy is fantastic. I love so many things about this vessel I can go on for ages.

Fantastic work!

wow It looks so good :O. and I truly love your water!

Bart

I didn't come up with that, I took inspiration from a fellow member here, Siercon and Coral. Found here.

Your attention to detail and accuracy is fantastic.

That was only possible with the great insight and inspiration of those on these forums! :pir-blush:

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!

Edited by SuperSirLink