SuperSirLink

Frigate in progress

... I increased the angle of the spirtbow mast, which allowed me to raise the figure...

I think it's too high now, :tongue: but it's not that bad... so keep it if you want.

I also like to see that tan colour in the deck

I lol'd. :pir_laugh2:

I do agree with Frank on the lamps, they seem a bit large with this size of ship.

I think it's too high now, :tongue: but it's not that bad... so keep it if you want.

If you look at the unicorn it is at a steeper angle than some of the other ships. It is the only way to get the figurehead up higher... I may be able to bring the angle down a little more. I am using one of older technic 2 piece joints to set the custom angle...

Reworked the lanterns... Still working on the bow... I wasn't 100% sold on it. It has been the part of the ship I have reworked more than anything else...

Is it just me or is the brickshelf not loading for anyone else?

They have maintenance every so often, but it should say it's down for maintenance if that's the case.

Took a look at the model again, and yes you're right it's pretty steep.

They have maintenance every so often, but it should say it's down for maintenance if that's the case.

Took a look at the model again, and yes you're right it's pretty steep.

Figured as much... Made (what I think) is some pretty good progress on the bow... I think the 5th time is the charm! :pir-tongue:

I don't know. Every time I go back to a ship I've been working on in LDD I find something to "improve." I honestly think it'll never be done till I just build the damn thing in real life.

I don't know. Every time I go back to a ship I've been working on in LDD I find something to "improve." I honestly think it'll never be done till I just build the damn thing in real life.

That's what I am afraid of... So I think I am about ready to "stick a fork in it" and start generating the parts list and get some of these parts orders in prep of the physical build...

Will post some pics once the bricklink is back up...

Edit: Looks like the dark red, might be out... Not having much luck finding the parts on bricklink...

Edited by SuperSirLink

Ok now that Brickshelf is back up (and appears to be stable) here is an update... Made lots of progress and think this is 99% final. Will more than likely make subtle alterations as the build progresses...

Got my first got a few more bricklink orders and should have enough to start the lower deck... Took out any "non existent" parts, hence the color changes...

final1.png

final2.png

final3.png

final4.png

final5.png

final6.png

final7.png

final8.png

final9.png

final10.png

edit: yes, i know there would not have been beds... but I didn't want to mess with hammocks... :pir_laugh2:

edit2: added brick built flags... by the time I add the parts that I can't in LDD, I will be over 5000 parts!

withflags.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Just a small update to show progress...

After several bricklink orders arriving I started the lower deck and hull...

img_0793.jpg

More to come of coarse... :pir-blush:

Amazing ship ! Really nice. I love the actual shape and design. Besides, The colour scheme is very good ! Waiting to see the next upgrade

Got bored waiting for bricklink orders to arrive... :pir_laugh2: Began thinking about how to deal with the fact that the bottom of the ship didn't represent the water line...

Came up with two options of dealing with this... Would like to know what everyone thinks. Should I use either of these two ideas? Would love your feedback!

Inspired by Siercon and Coral's water...

water2.png

water1.png

water3.png

keel1.png

keel2.png

keel3.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Actually, the brown hull pieces would be below the waterline. I think that you should add a brown keel on the bottom- then she would be complete. The white portion in the 2nd option is not necessary IMO. What would also be really cool is if you did something like these:

hms-surprisewood99.jpg

out of legos to support the ship (those fishes, there). Then you could lift her out anytime you wanted.

Actually, the brown hull pieces would be below the waterline. I think that you should add a brown keel on the bottom- then she would be complete. The white portion in the 2nd option is not necessary IMO. What would also be really cool is if you did something like these:

hms-surprisewood99.jpg

out of legos to support the ship (those fishes, there). Then you could lift her out anytime you wanted.

All of the brown, or just to the slopes (which is where i was ruffly placeing it).

I am loosley basing it on this (Unicorn 1665), hence the white.

If I build the full keel, I would definitely build a base. That one is pretty cool.

Edited by SuperSirLink

I would definitely go with the blue baseplate. It makes it look more alive.

It is also something I haven't seen done much or even at all in Lego, while I have seen this some times in 'real' ship models (made of wood e.g.)

Going with the blue baseplate also is a bit easier then making the complex shape of the under water part of the ship.

Or if you have time and effort to spare you could make them both. A full hull model which can be placed on a base which makes the model appear to be in the water.

Bart

The "brown" portion on the model pictured is actually copper plating. The bottom of a wooden ship’s hull, the portion below the water line, needs to be coated in something to keep critters from attaching themselves. On older ships, a lime based white wash was conventional, but by the 19th century copper plating became more popular, especially on war ships. Without some sort of coating, plants and animals would attach and bore their way into the hull, slowing the ship down while destroying her.

The Lego pre-fab hulls pieces were never intended to be part of a "full hull" model plan. Their curvature is too abrupt, bending in ward too much before cutting off at the waterline. It would look far less "ship like" if the pieces were contoured to scale, and since TLG sets are in no way intended to be models the decision was made to make more dramatic shapes. If you intend to make a "full hull" model I would suggest brick building it in its entirety. The concept you shared, with white bricks added below the pre-fab hulls, just looks awkward. IMO she looks just fine as a "water line" model, and think you should stick with it. If you don't like the blue Legos, consider using a mirror.

The concept you shared, with white bricks added below the pre-fab hulls, just looks awkward. IMO she looks just fine as a "water line" model, and think you should stick with it. If you don't like the blue Legos, consider using a mirror.

I agree, it didn't really look "right" to me... But like I said, I was bored... :pir-tongue: I have a lot of admiration for those who have done complete brick built hulls... It is really challenging to design a structure that curves 3 different ways... :pir-cry_sad:

Having said that, the water moc up is growing on me. So I am still wondering where the water line should be...

waterline.png

I was setting it at the line labeled "C", am I far off?

I am guessing that by looking at my reference ship would have been just below the white (as you stated would have been for hull protection).

Edited by SuperSirLink

The point here is that you built a deck under the batteries deck. I don't think that it is possible to build a deck under the gun's deck in pre-fabs in a water-line model. I'm not very sure either about this being a water-line model.

An average vessel would have that deck you build there wit something corresponding to 4-5 bricks high. You built it with 6, if I am not mistaken. This makes extremely hard to get the water-line look. Now if you check this picture below you will see that even if your 1-stud prow technique is quite interesting it looks wrong, i.e. the curvature is done in the wrong way. Also your prow should go higher; I think if you change this part of the ship you will be able to get a fantastic water-line look, since the rest of the ship is amazing (especially the stern).

diagram-of-a-frigate1.jpg

I use this simple rule to determine the waterline for tumblehome ships;

The waterline is more or less at the widest point at a cross section in the middle of the ship.

check out this Plan.

Ok, I know this ship is fictive and not realistic at many points but you can see at the right on the picture where the waterline is located. Keep in mind though that the keel is not present on this ship, it's not a complete ship, still, the waterline is located where it should be located as if it was a complete ship.

For your ship I'd say the waterline is around the tan line under the gunports (that's higher that "D" ), because the cabin is a bit low I'd lower the waterline a bit.

IMO it would be a bad Idea to turn this nice ship into a waterline model, especially because there no curve in the ship.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

(...)

For your ship I'd say the waterline is around the tan line under the gunports (that's higher that "D" ), because the cabin is a bit low I'd lower the waterline a bit.

(...)

If you would do that I would extend the rudder up so it still comes out of the water. Usually the top of the rudder would even stick up trough the 'Counter' (hollow arced part below the lights) where inside the rudder would connect to the tiller.

Imo this is not correctly drawn in the 'Vertical Section of the Frigate "Novara"' Image above, the whole tiller (or Helm) is missing.

Bart

The point here is that you built a deck under the batteries deck. I don't think that it is possible to build a deck under the gun's deck in pre-fabs in a water-line model. I'm not very sure either about this being a water-line model.

An average vessel would have that deck you build there wit something corresponding to 4-5 bricks high. You built it with 6, if I am not mistaken. This makes extremely hard to get the water-line look. Now if you check this picture below you will see that even if your 1-stud prow technique is quite interesting it looks wrong, i.e. the curvature is done in the wrong way. Also your prow should go higher; I think if you change this part of the ship you will be able to get a fantastic water-line look, since the rest of the ship is amazing (especially the stern).

I use this simple rule to determine the waterline for tumblehome ships;

The waterline is more or less at the widest point at a cross section in the middle of the ship.

IMO it would be a bad Idea to turn this nice ship into a waterline model, especially because there no curve in the ship.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am still trying to make sure I understand. When you refer to a "waterline model" in context to a prefab hull, the waterline is typically the surface the hull is sitting on, correct? Which mine is not, since I built a deck under the gun deck. As I am waiting for parts and reviewing the design, I began to wonder if that would look out of place. For me having the interior was a big part of this project, so that what started me to wonder how to make it more appealing from the outside. That is where I came up with the two concept. Building out the full hull would make the question of where the water line is, irrelevant. But that doesnt look right, and a brick built hull is more of a challenge than I want to under take right now. (I do want to try my hand at that someday, but I will save it for another ship). The other being to build the water, thus removing the uncertanty of where the water line was. Thinking there was I can have the best of both worlds, interior detail in a prefab hull, and not have it look silly when viewed from the outside.

Sebeus, when you say not to make it into a waterline model, are you saying not to build the base (thus hiding the prefab hull) or do you mean not to alter the design so that the bottom is the waterline? I am not to clear on that.

Frank, I see what you mean about the prow. The curve should start closer to the waterline. Think mine is too straight, yes?

Thanks for the feedback, absoutley taking it to heart. While I am not trying to base this on a historical ship (and not worried about being 100% accurate), I still want it to look like it fits.

I define a waterline model as a model where only that part is build which is not submerged,

Like this;

dsc05190.jpg

This ship will be ideal for a pirate layout because it can be placed directly on the "water" (blue baseplates)

IMO a prefab build ship can never become a waterline model because of the abrupt curvature.

So what I really mean is what you're doing so far is great, making a waterline model of it would take away too many cool features of your ship.

Overall I think your ship fits very well already.

If you would do that I would extend the rudder up so it still comes out of water.

I actual did that, but I dont think you can tell from the pics.

Thanks, Sebeus. Thats very helpful. :pir-classic:

This is great feedback guys!

So I think I will focus some more time on the prow. I think I might build the water for when I want to MOC a scene. I designed it so the ship will lift right out (didnt alter the ship any , except the rudder). I think a nice happy medium would be to set the water line at line "D" of that pic I posted. (which is where I think it will be once I fill in with the 1x1s)

Hopefull some more bricklink orders will start arriving soon, so I can get some more pics of real brick posted.

I'm currently having an issue posting pictures so I can't show precisely what I mean. But it is easy to explain.

A normal ship has the prow curve with two distinctive and opposite curves. It is easy to see here. The ship gets a curve turning inward and then outward, if seen from the bottom to the top. Yours appears to be only inward. It was to that that I was referring to. pirate_classic.gif

12250d1175084769-pirate-ship-blue-plan-pirate-ship-sec.jpg

A normal ship has the prow curve with two distinctive and opposite curves. It is easy to see here. The ship gets a curve turning inward and then outward, if seen from the bottom to the top. Yours appears to be only inward. It was to that that I was referring to.

Thanks that helps alot! I think I realized what was wrong with mine, I had the curve bowing out toward the top, but it was above the bottom of what is going to be my bow spirit. (I don't have the curves for it in due to LDD limitations)

Here is how I had it:

lddscreenshot1.png

Here is version, err 6 maybe :pir_laugh2:

lddscreenshot2.png

How is this? Do I need to drop the curve down?