SuperSirLink

Frigate in progress

This is an issue I've run into in the past. It can create quite an issue since on a real ship the lower decks were designed to a height that required crew-members to be hunched over the whole time. Since mini-figs don't hunch so well it can be quite problematic. I think it really just depends it you want a level of playability or if you're going for something more of a model. Ultimately, it's up to you, but I would say if you're designing the ship to be played with than I'd try to keep it taller; but remove as much as you can.

I was trying to have the lower deck high enough for mini figs, but I guess because that deck was partially submerged it makes the whole ship seem taller...

The lowest I could drop it is 3 plates. Is is worth going back and reworking it for that? Do you think it would make a difference?

I remember running into this same problem, you can try doing what I did, which seems to work.. more or less.. and it is simply making the ship larger, in order to match its height..

It seemed to me the most logical and simplest way to fix that on my QAR, but maybe that could had been just foolish of me..after all, I'm just some random newbie.. :pir-tongue:

Instead of lowering the gundeck it's better to consider this to be not a waterline model which would make more sense since the tumblehome shape of such ships makes that the waterline is situated near the widest region of the ship, in your ship that is about there where the brown stops and the tan begins.

Let's see, this is just a small thing but it lt might influence the look of the ship a lot; if you change the lowest tan line to a brown line on the prow (there are three tan lines made out of curved pieces) the ship will have a better overall curve (so don't touch the rest of the ship, just the part on the prow).

Well I went straight to modifying the design this morning.. Didn't check here, so I have already lowered the deck... Not to bad though, I like the look better...

What do you guys think?

lddscreenshot1_copy_18.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_19.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Looks much better. :thumbup:

p.s. They added the mermaid bottoms with the most recent update. So, you can update/finish your figurehead, if you were planning to use such a piece.

Edited by Foremast Jack

Looks much better. :thumbup:

p.s. They added the mermaid bottoms with the most recent update. So, you can update/finish your figurehead, if you were planning to use such a piece.

Ohh good! I will have to search for it. Yeah, that was my intention...

Got the stern roughed out...

lddscreenshot3_copy_3.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_6.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_20.png

more to come... :pir_laugh2:

This is coming along nicely!

I like the colourscheme and the brown slopes on the bottom look great as well :thumbup:

The bow is the most important thing you should work on IMO. Take this image as an example.

As you can see, the top of the figurehead is almost at the same height as the top of the bulwark.

And the part where the figurehead is attached too, has a very different shape.

But I think it will be quite a challenge when you make it a single stud prow.

Perhaps it's easier to make it 2 studs. also for attaching a figurehead. In either case, good luck!

This is coming along nicely!

I like the colourscheme and the brown slopes on the bottom look great as well :thumbup:

The bow is the most important thing you should work on IMO. Take this image as an example.

As you can see, the top of the figurehead is almost at the same height as the top of the bulwark.

And the part where the figurehead is attached too, has a very different shape.

But I think it will be quite a challenge when you make it a single stud prow.

Perhaps it's easier to make it 2 studs. also for attaching a figurehead. In either case, good luck!

Yeah, I know... I got bored with the bow from focusing on it for so long, decided to get the rest of the main structure done and then I will double back and finish it up. Also was having trouble getting the flex tool to put in place for the head rails.

The reference shots I was using, also show that. I defiantly needs some more work.

I am having trouble finding reference shots for how the ships wheel would have been situated on a frigate from the late 17th century era...

Looking at the images here, I can't spot it... :pir-sceptic:http://www.modelships.de/Unicorn_II/Photos-Frigate-Unicorn_II_details.htm

I am having trouble finding reference shots for how the ships wheel would have been situated on a frigate from the late 17th century era...

That is odd indeed. Speaking from a general sense of a ship structured as the Unicorn it should be on the quarterdeck just a little fore of the doorway which leads into the cabin under the poop. However, seeing how it's obviously not there and I know the modeler to be a great enthusiast for details it is quite disturbing. Unless you can find something definitive to solve your quandary I would use your best judgment.

Very ruff design...

I think it is too tall... Maybe I will angle those side walls inward...

I think the wheel and the stair case need to be reversed as well...

lddscreenshot3_copy_4.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_7.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_21.png

Quick edit:

Angled the other side... Gold parts are available on the BrickLink, but I still need to work on the center design...

lddscreenshot1_copy_23.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_8.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_24.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

In the late 17th century most ships didn't have a ship's wheel. They had a so-called whipstaff:

25.gif

On image D and E you can see it.

The reason why you can't see it on the model is because the whipstaff was below the deck (D).

Also, your ship is currently more looking like a frigate from the 1750's, so wouldn't it be better to choose a different reference ship?

Perhaps the Whydah(1715) or La Sirène(1755)?

I'm not sure I quite agree with you here. I'm nearly certain that the ship represented there as "16th century" is a Galleon (which did most definitely use a whipstaff). The spot where the helmsman is standing, while under the stern-castle, is not enclosed, from what I understand. I really don't know much about ships from this time period, but I'm fairly sure that the Unicorn would not be included.

All that being said, I am inclined to agree with you since there's obviously no steering mechanism on deck. So perhaps there is a whipstaff somewhere in there. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for the info... I am using that as a very loose reference. :pir_laugh2: I opted for the single level top deck for simplicity, but I am trying to capture the overall look of it (or a ship of that era).

Here are some more updates... More details to come. :pir-blush: The lanterns are preliminary and I am still trying to come up with some ornate decoration for above the bay windows...

lddscreenshot1_copy_25.png

lddscreenshot3_copy_5.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_9.png

All that being said, I am inclined to agree with you since there's obviously no steering mechanism on deck. So perhaps there is a whipstaff somewhere in there. It just doesn't seem right to me.

The whipstaff was in an enclosed space, except for a small hole as you can see here.

But I can't find that hole either so perhaps you're right and it doesn't have a whipstaff.

In that case I wonder what it could be...

Anyway, on to the model :pir-classic:

You did a very nice job on the stern decorations :thumbup: I really like the golden fishes and mini-minifig.

Your gunport design is also nice.

If you were to make this in real, perhaps you could make a slight curve in the red gunport line, but I have nothing else to complain.

Keep it up!

The deck looks beautiful.

As for the steering mechanism, my flying dutchman is the type of ship that should have a whipstaff but to stay faithfull to the movie I decided to use a steering wheel anyway, it also looks cooler.

Keep the wheel if you like it better :pir-classic:

Like everyone else here, I like the stern. It's ornate and festive without being over-active.

I wonder if something couldn't be done about the gaps on those side, bay windows though. With the inverted slopes causing them to protrude that gap is quite noticeable, to me at least. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great. You just maybe need to find a way to fill the space a little.

As to the whipstaff... :pir-devil: Maybe I shouldn't have used "enclosed." I wasn't trying to convey a complete segregation from being "on deck." The bulkhead it was behind normally had an open space, like a window of sorts, connecting it to the deck, so the helmsman could see where he was steering the ship. :wink: There doesn't seem to be one on the Unicorn, at least that I can see. It could be between two of the ladder rungs, but it's hidden behind the gunwale. Doesn't much matter though I guess, since SuperSirLink is going to use a wheel.

You did a very nice job on the stern decorations :thumbup: I really like the golden fishes and mini-minifig.

Your gunport design is also nice.

If you were to make this in real, perhaps you could make a slight curve in the red gunport line, but I have nothing else to complain.

Keep it up!

Thanks! This will definitely be built... Just using LDD to do the design work. Will generate part/instructions once done. I lost my dedicated Lego workspace last year, so the hope here is the grunt work done in software, then the actual build will be smoother...

I actually had a curve to it, but took it out to simplify the construction... I may re-invesitagte it once everything else is done...

The deck looks beautiful.

As for the steering mechanism, my flying dutchman is the type of ship that should have a whipstaff but to stay faithfull to the movie I decided to use a steering wheel anyway, it also looks cooler.

Keep the wheel if you like it better :pir-classic: Yeah, the wheel seems more fitting for the Pirate theme! :pir_laugh2:

Like everyone else here, I like the stern. It's ornate and festive without being over-active.

I wonder if something couldn't be done about the gaps on those side, bay windows though. With the inverted slopes causing them to protrude that gap is quite noticeable, to me at least. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great. You just maybe need to find a way to fill the space a little.

Yeah, I'm letting that part simmer a bit... :pir-tongue: Though about using some flex tubing, which is a pain to do in LDD...

Like others have stated, the stern looks great (expect for the gaps already mentioned). I would love to see this build!

Though about using some flex tubing, which is a pain to do in LDD...

Understatement of the century here! Maybe try a longer "lightsaber blade." I little easier to work with until you decide if it's worth going through the trouble of getting the flex tubes to work.

Understatement of the century here! Maybe try a longer "lightsaber blade." I little easier to work with until you decide if it's worth going through the trouble of getting the flex tubes to work.

one better... :pir-sweet:

lddscreenshot1_copy_26.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_10.png

Still need to come up with a decoration above...

And got my lanterns done...

lddscreenshot3_copy_6.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_27.png

Looks great, I'm quite impressed with how large of an interior you've managed to fit on the prefabs - makes me want to go back and rework mine. :thumbup:

I can't critique the accuracy nearly as well as Croissant and Foremast Jack but aesthetically I think it'd look much better if you smoothed the horizontal bulge of the ship using jumpers.

I can't critique the accuracy nearly as well as Croissant and Foremast Jack but aesthetically I think it'd look much better if you smoothed the horizontal bulge of the ship using jumpers.

Well I finished the stern and main deck and need to go back and refocus on the bow, so I might think about that. Given the way I laid the gun deck, it would be quite a challenge, but last update for the night so I will sleep on it. :pir_laugh2:

lddscreenshot3_copy_7.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_28.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_11.png

small update... I increased the angle of the spirtbow mast, which allowed me to raise the figure...

tweaked with the bow... Think I am going to have to play with the headrails in real brick. Most of the tubing is not flexible in LDD. Think I am going to finish the interior details and and masts, then generate a parts list and start the build...

lddscreenshot1_copy_29.png

lddscreenshot2_copy_13.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

This is being a very interesting build; the stern looks amazing already, though I feel that those lamps are a little too large. However the bow still needs some work. Besides being unsure of those curved slopes there I am sure the upper deck in that section isn't correct. As you can see from this picture it is a much more triangular surface than a curved one, especially with the shape you conceived. Consider using some bow plate or simply building that forming a triangle with ordinary plates. I also like to see that tan colour in the deck pirate_satisfied.gif Keep working!

example09.jpg