SuperSirLink

Frigate in progress

Edit:

Here is the final design... Starting the actual build now, will had pics as the "develop"...

Brickshelf Gallery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I stubbed across this site looking for inspiration on my own Lego Frigate. Ever since I got set 10210 last Jan. I wanted to build my own, more accurate frigate. I figured other out there must have done the same and after some googling, here I am. I have been ordering parts for the past month as I am finally getting time to under take this project. I just finished modify set 10213 (space shuttle) and before that I built a completely scratch built Atlantic 4-6-2 steam locomotive and tender.

So I just wanted to say hi and to say I how great it is to have found this forum! :)

Edited by SuperSirLink

For a light frigate (going for a smaller 17th century one) is 6 mid sections going to provide a long enough hull? I have 6 that I have been working with, but I am tossed up if I should purchase a 7th. It is hard to get a sense of scale in LDD...

Edited by SuperSirLink

For a light frigate (going for a smaller 17th century one) is 6 mid sections going to provide a long enough hull? I have 6 that I have been working with, but I am tossed up if I should purchase a 7th. It is hard to get a sense of scale in LDD...

My latest frigate has only 5 mids.

My latest frigate has only 5 mids.

Ok, I took part of what I was working with in LDD and laid it out in real bricks and 6 looks like it will do very well... I went through a couple of revisions and here is what I have so far in LDD... Would appreciate any thoughts/comments/critique....

lddscreenshot5.png

lddscreenshot4.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Maybe you should use one midsection less, I think it looks too thin and long now.

anyway, I see you did a rather special water cutter ( front of the ship, keel).

I'm with Sebeus here. You should think about maybe removing one mid-section. Whilst a length truer to scale would call for something more akin to 7-8 mid-sections, one must keep in mind that the pre-fab hulls don't provide enough beam to be historically accurate. So to counter the lack of width one must shorten the length.

That being said, I'm personally a big fan of cramming as much historical detail in as possible; so if that requires a disproportionate length in order to accommodate it, I say leave it long.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lddscreenshot3.png

Just took a closer look at this picture. If you end up sticking with this design for attaching the prow to the bow you may want to think about thinning the prow to a single stud in width. (Gives it a more proper look, in my opinion.)

p.s. you need to resize photos to 800x600 maximum.

Edited by Foremast Jack

Thanks for the input guys! I will duplicate my lxf file and remove one of the mid sections and see how it looks... I am having trouble judging the length without the upper deck... Forgive me for not know the technical terms, but what part is the prow? Is that the part that holds the figure head and the spirit mast?

Here are some more progress I made since this afternoon... Think I am getting close to a point where I will start building before continuing with the LDD design. I am going to attempt to make the gun deck removable in two sections with the bow section fixed like the 10210 set... At my widest part of the hull I am at 20 studs wide. While I am not aiming for strict historical accuracy on this ship (I want to attempt that when I am ready to try and undertake a complete custom hull), I do want it to look accurate to the period. I don't want to end up with a design that is pure fantasy... I am using some frigates from around 1680's for inspiration...

Edit: some of the colors are off thanks to LDD's limitations... However the I plan to use that pattern on the deck planking... I also plan to add more to the internals, barrels, furniture, ect... Might even try to create some hammocks...

Hopefully these resized correctly...

lddscreenshot1.png

lddscreenshot2.png

lddscreenshot3_copy.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Forgive me for not know the technical terms, but what part is the prow? Is that the part that holds the figure head and the spirit mast?

Yes the prow is that thinner part of wood at the front of the ship that the figurehead sits atop. (It doesn't technically hold the bowsprit. The bowsprit actually passes through the upper deck, at what is called the knighthead and is attached to the foremast at the foremast step.)

Edited by Foremast Jack

The second load of pictures is resized correctly, if you could resize the first ones in this topic as well you make me very happy. :pir-sweet:

Irfanview is a free program which resizes fast without reduction in quality. It is simple to use, but a link to a tutorial is in my signature.

After that we can talk about the ship, which looks good already!

Already thanks!

maybe a stupid question, but how do you get all the parts? I mean I have only a few parts that I can use.

I have LDD 4

Most likely you have not enable the "extended mode" of LDD. To do so, I'd suggest to check this thread.

Yes the prow is that thinner part of wood at the front of the ship that the figurehead sits atop. (It doesn't technically hold the bowsprit. The bowsprit actually passes through the upper deck, at what is called the knighthead and is attached to the foremast at the foremast foot.)

Ok, I will try some single brick width designs... It may not be completely accurate, but I was going to attach the bowspirt to the base of the foremast on the gun deck, instead of the lowest desk of my ship.

The second load of pictures is resized correctly, if you could resize the first ones in this topic as well you make me very happy. :pir-sweet:

Irfanview is a free program which resizes fast without reduction in quality. It is simple to use, but a link to a tutorial is in my signature.

After that we can talk about the ship, which looks good already!

Already thanks!

Got'em :)

Most likely you have not enable the "extended mode" of LDD. To do so, I'd suggest to check this thread.

I wasn't aware of this either... I had to find another lfx file that had the hull pieces in them...

Ok, I will try some single brick width designs... It may not be completely accurate, but I was going to attach the bowspirt to the base of the foremast on the gun deck, instead of the lowest desk of my ship.

Oh I really wasn't expecting you to take the bowsprit all the way down. I don't think anyone actually has yet (not that I've seen at least). I was just sharing some naval knowledge.

As for the prow design, if you're so inclined, take a look at this thread I started the other day. Perhaps you could be the one to confound the wise. :wink:

Oh I really wasn't expecting you to take the bowsprit all the way down. I don't think anyone actually has yet (not that I've seen at least). I was just sharing some naval knowledge.

As for the prow design, if you're so inclined, take a look at this thread I started the other day. Perhaps you could be the one to confound the wise. :wink:

No worries... In doing this I am trying to have my design be somewhat original, although I know every technique has pretty much been done already... Just don't want to look like I am copying, so I am challenging my self to be adventurous... :)

Edit: Looking at your examples, that does look like a better balance...

Edited by SuperSirLink

Take a look... see if I am going in the right direction...

lddscreenshot1_copy.png

:pir-oh3: Ooh. Very nice! I like how you're addressing the issues I was having with "tapering" the transition from one to two studs. Keep up the good work! :thumbup: I might just have to go back and redesign my ship again.

Looks good, I would only change the colorscheme - grey is a bit bland. For the prow, I think the non-keel part sticks out too much, maybe try sinking the whole construction into the hull piece? Like my solution.

Looks good, I would only change the colorscheme - grey is a bit bland. For the prow, I think the non-keel part sticks out too much, maybe try sinking the whole construction into the hull piece? Like my solution.

I haven't finalized the colors yet... thinking of doing the gun deck in the dark red...

Here is another update...

lddscreenshot1_copy_2.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_3.png

lddscreenshot1_copy_4.png

Edited by SuperSirLink

Looks very good so far, I think the bow section is a bit blocky though, may I suggest hinge bricks/plates ?

step4-d.jpg

(taken from Captain Green Hair's tutoral)

The use of these parts allows you to add more detail to the section and you can even add a cannon port in the curve.

yeah, I thought about that, but I was trying to do something different and at the same time I was trying to go for something more "ornate"...

How about the distance the foremast is from the bow, is it too far back? Looking at the references I am using, it is kinda hard to tell...

Does it look any better from this angle?

lddscreenshot1_copy_5.png