cimddwc

Recycling Truck Modifications

indexed.gif V-LC-16C & V-LC-16D

You've seen my crane modification of set 4206 – of which Redhead1982 just finished her review before Klaus-Dieter his – already in my Pet Shop Street, and since some of you asked for more details, here they are – along with another mod.

6652143001_ed87749467_z.jpg

While 4206 is a nice set, it doesn't make much sense to have a forklift follow the truck around everywhere, so I equipped my mod with a crane – a pretty standard crane design, actually, using two 3x2 plates with holes as base. The truck has the same length as the original; there are just no more gaps between the containers.

6652142779_5999f85ae0_z.jpg

Other side: A little box for trash or other stuff to fill the otherwise empty space behind shovel and broom. (In the middle, there's a 2x4x1 slope holding the crane base in place.)

6652142535_6875673bea_z.jpg

The crane's just long enough to reach and lift the last container.

6652142265_72bc9f3aef_z.jpg

I removed the original 4x6 plates and added a tiled frame around the container holders to eliminate the forklift gap that would make the containers look like they'd easily fall off the truck when driving through a curve...

The forklift driver is no longer needed here – and he's not exactly happy about that. He should have known, since this is the face print he came with...:

6652142031_77eebbaaaa_z.jpg

But he quickly found a new job where he's highly welcome! After all, the 3677 guys had to handle the pallets by hand until now...

6652141745_59f284c271_z.jpg

6652141515_0857cc102a_z.jpg

Oops!

Alright, on to the second mod:

6652141191_1f87158d2b_z.jpg

Front, crane and legs are mostly the same (different colors due to the parts that I had available), but the truck is 4 studs longer and has a 3-chamber tipper. So this is the truck that drives around to empty the containers, instead of swapping them for some empty ones (or placing new ones in the first place).

6652140977_c8407f9ee3_z.jpg

The containers are to be imagined to have a hatch at the bottom to unload their contents, as indicated here with the old 4x4 hinge plate (which, however, isn't really a feasible playing solution since it attaches to the rest too strongly and can't hold the 2x4 plate at the bottom):

6652140733_f3dab02cc2_z.jpg

6652140451_6981a3979a_z.jpg

The tipper's using an old 2x5 hinge plate.

6652140215_398c797476_z.jpg

Here you can see the walls separating the chambers opening separately, so the truck can unload its different loads onto different heaps.

» Flickr (no additional photos, just larger)

These are great modifications of the Recycling truck, cimddwc! My favourite is the first one, with the crane. As far as the forklift driver goes, he can make himself useful somewhere else, also he could work at the recycling center, where the containers would be handled if transported by the crane-recycling truck and left on the wrong site.

The second recycling truck looks a bit bulky, but after acknowledging all the details, it's nevertheless as great as the crane-recycling truck. I like the features of a bottom hatch and moveable chamber doors. All in all, both trucks are of great design and utilize nice playability options.

The crane you put on is way more logical than the forklift.. i think i will make a crane from one of my level-crossing-vehicle-cranes....

Nice work and you brought it with some humor as well!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

How very Lego of you 'cimddwc', your modifications are fantastic....I though the first truck mod was great but the last one....is just AWESOME with it's dumping mechanism. :excited:

Brick On Recycle On 'cimddwc' ! :wink:

Between your modifications an redhead's review, cimwwdic ( I hope I'm spelling that right! :laugh: ) my mouth is wattering over this new set. I guess I'll just have to make modifications to my city for it to fit. I love both of your modifications, and am jealous of the number of green peices you own!

Kudos,

Dakar

Thanks, everyone!

Band am jealous of the number of green peices you own!

I happened to get the green grille bricks from the PaB wall last year (and I'm glad I now found a use for them :) ).

They're great mods and really improve the design of the Recycling Truck. :wink:

Excellent MOD. I like the first version best... Much better than using the forklift ( if my local store ever gets the recycling centre I might just " borrow" your design!)

Nice work!