Sign in to follow this  
L@go

MOC: Modular Bank

indexed.gif B-OM-9A

Hello, honorable Eurobrickers,

I first announced this back in May when I posted my 8-wide modular apartment, but it's really taken a long time to get from the planning stage to finished photos. This building spent a lot of time in MLCad before I took the plunge and ordered the (more than 3000) bricks to make it a reality - and when I'd finished it, I wasn't happy with the roof. It looked a bit "like a barn", as Hinckley so eloquently put it when I asked for advice back in September.

By then, I was torn between two different designs, none of which I felt at ease with, until Locutis suggested I combine them. And the solution really was that simple. I rebuilt it, and then I took some outdoor photos, but didn't get around to taking interior shots of it until yesterday - so, almost a year in the making. Hopefully it was worth the wait (as if you've all been expecting it)...

I have one regret. I should have taken the time to do a cellar that could have been used for storage or even for a vault - there's plenty of room for it underneath the ground floor - but when I had finished the whole building in MLCad I just couldn't stand the thought of going back to do it all again...

Well, let's get down to business and give you something to look at! You probably didn't come here to read.

6643816503_0631f35a0b_z.jpg

6643817637_24f19f290a_z.jpg

First a couple of exterior shots, marred by strong sunlight, lack of photographical excellence and a difficult colour - sorry about that. I wanted the building to look imposing, like it wouldn't be easy to get in if you weren't supposed to. So it's a bit of a fortress, but I'm happy with that. The first floor windows in the back are protected by iron bars, and there are also iron gates to protect the front and rear entrances. The main stairs also add to the feeling of something big and sturdy. I added the statue to add detail - it's supposed to be St. Matthew, patron saint of bankers, but why I've provided him with a key I don't remember... oh well, I'm not a Catholic, so I'm not too good with saints.

6643822835_16f09a09e3_z.jpg

I should also mention the cash machine, which I've placed in a separate room to the right of the entrance, along with some brochures.

6643816981_07661b4790_z.jpg

A couple of comments here: I wasn't aware of those printed Duplo bricks until I started looking for printed parts that could be useful when building a bank, but they fit perfectly - they were even white, and the green colour goes very well with the flags. The use of the 2x2 round brick with grille was a no-brainer. The sign is a simple Photoshop job, printed on regular paper, so the colour is a bit off - I might change that later.

6643840035_fc2e2e9edd_z.jpg

And this is what caused me so much trouble. I think the final solution is a very good one for this kind of building. Now for some interior shots - I personally think this is what I do best.

6643826907_218d2b93f4_z.jpg

6643829187_48ea938fe6_z.jpg

6643827705_7817f4d951_z.jpg

On the ground floor, the main feature is the teller's counter. There are three positions, each manned (and womanned) by a friendly employee equipped with a computer (and an invisible alarm button). There's a printer/photocopier on a shelf on the back wall, a waiting area with a water cooler, a queueing ticket dispenser and clips for the elderly customers to attach their walking canes in while they're being helped. And there's an example of my signature spiral staircase leading to the first floor.

6643826225_35b5a7230a_z.jpg

The other room on the ground floor is the video surveillance room, where the security staff keeps an eye on everything that goes on inside and outside the bank. It's equipped with lots of monitors, there's a service hatch for the cash machine, a couple of guns and a some handcuffs.

6643825373_3f52b57f4e_z.jpg

On the first floor there are two smaller cubicles, with sliding doors, where consultants can give advice to customers. I'm particularly happy with the metal detector lamps in the hallway...

6643837717_8ab8125951_z.jpg

6643839015_26437b0430_z.jpg

The bank manager obviously has a bigger office than his employees, complete with a gold-lined desk and a big safe. I originally designed the safe door (inspired by the one in 3661 Bank & Money Transfer) to be flush with the wall - but naturally, that makes the door impossible to open. Which is something that MLCad won't tell you (but my brain should have), so I had to redesign it.

6643819563_43b2ceaa3c_z.jpg

6643832023_73c1f32695_z.jpg

A couple of exterior details: To add a bit of freshness to the imposing building I added a small water feature on each side of the staircase. And to protect the cash machine I installed a surveillance camera in the mandatory lamppost :)

6643815489_feeab02790_z.jpg

And this guy? Well, if you have a bank, you'll have some thugs lurking around wondering if it's really as bullet-proof as it looks. The fellow right here is particularly smart - you see, he's dressed himself in civilian clothing instead of the prison uniform that most of the city's criminals insist on wearing, even when they're not in jail. As a consequence, the security guards probably won't suspect a thing...

6643840573_65507af2fa_z.jpg

To round the whole thing off, here's the original MLCad design - with the new roof.

I've already received a couple of very nice comments on Flickr, including one that says I should do more of this. While it's very satisfying to finish big builds, I find myself drawn more and more towards building vehicles - for the simple reason that they're cheaper to build and don't take so long from idea to finished product. That said, this won't be my last modular, I just need some serious motivation to attempt another building this big. And maybe I'll get that from posting here - it's something I always enjoy, as you're such a positive and friendly crowd.

If you'd like a closer look, there are many more pics in the Flickr set, including more detail shots.

Thanks for watching! And comments and constructive critisism are always welcome!

Very nice, interesting MOC, L@GO! I really like all the nice architectural detail put into this amazing MOC. Simply loving the design of it! The interior looks very nice, as well! I really like the safe you built with the gold and dollar bills! I must applaud! Great work!

Edited by Perry the Platypus

Turned out really great indeed! Imposing and detailed architecture, and nice interior details as well. :thumbup:

Neat looking Bank 'L@go', very late 18th/early 19th century exterior design :thumbup:, tons of computer screens...hope they don't run on Vista ! :laugh:

I like the desks and counters.....everything is very well done. :classic:

Brick On 'L@go' ! :classic:

Thanks for the comments, guys!

About the thug: He might be able to fool the security guards, but soon he'll have this girl on his tail:

6649695281_090352d9d3_z.jpg

6649693515_b79393a29f_z.jpg

She just arrived in my photostream along with her brand new police command car :)

This is a great design, definitely one of the nicest banks in City! I especially like the interiors, you're really good with those. What caught my eye the most, are the front entrance, the counters's design with wedges, and the metal detector lamps. I've seen it before in the LDD build. I need to really see (and touch) the bricks, so I really admire your skills to plan the building in the LDD first.

A very nice modular building. I like it a lot.

I'm glad I could help with a suggestion, and the final result looks better than I could have imagined.

Good job!

Locutis

Nice facade! The use of the telephone for light fixtures is clever!

the safe looks massive and bountiful! no wonder there is someone lurking outside... :laugh:

Hey L@go

I'm a great admirer of your works. And it's a beautiful modular Bank you craftet here. But theres a rather big detail that bugs me. The money-pictures on the front is simply too corny for my taste. It's a bank... it's got money in it... I think these pictures pulls your model down and makes the front too childish. And thats a huge shame, cause the rest of the model absolutely stunning. The interior especially are world class!!! :thumbup:

The vault and the stacks in it, is just waiting for the young guy in the street to do his job. The winding staircase is extremely elegant. And my favourit detail is the water splash on the sides of the front stairs. VERY, VERY nice work!

Not only is this MOC a great build, it has a lot of life in it and the overall presentation is quite unique. Excellent creation. :classic:

Thanks again for your comments! I really appreciate you letting me know what you think of it.

The money-pictures on the front is simply too corny for my taste. It's a bank... it's got money in it... I think these pictures pulls your model down and makes the front too childish.

Didn't think of that at all. I see your point, however it seems to bug you more than it bugs me, so they're staying :) nevertheless, thank you for your opinion!

Another great work L@go!

I love this building and its beautiful architecture (the front wall is a masterpiece!)

The inner details are gorgeous, the caveau is the room I like the most whit gold and money! :tongue:

Love the interior, especially the vault. Great work!

I like all the fine details in your work! The vault, tellers, and ATM are great, and as always the cars seem to be your specialty!

One favorite building :-)

When bumping an old topic in the future, ensure that the content of your post is more than just a three word sentence. Please look at the EB FAQ for more info.

It's always fun when something old pops up on the front page, receiving comments from people who didn't see it back when it was posted. Thanks for all the great comments, I'm glad you like it! It'll be at the Fan Weekend in Skærbæk in September, for those of you who'd like an opportunity to see it up close :)

Great bank! The exterior is great but it's the interiors that impress me the most :thumbup:

The tellers desks are excellent as is the safe :classic: