Blondie-Wan

"LEGO Licensed" Forum description

Ok, I know this is really anal-retentive and all, but the forum description for the LEGO Licensed forum has a few oddities and inaccuracies I find somewhat vexing:

"Prince of Persia, Toy Story 3, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Spongebob Squarepants, Ferrari and more"

First of all, why is it "Toy Story 3" specifically and not just "Toy Story," when all the other themes mentioned are referred to by the umbrella title of the overall franchise? It doesn't say "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Dark Knight Rises, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Spider-Man 2" and so on. TLG's Toy Story theme may emphasize the newest movie, but does include sets from the entire trilogy.

Secondly, "Spiderman" should actually be "Spider-Man." Better yet, perhaps both "Batman" and "Spider-Man" should be replaced altogether by the more comprehensive "DC" and "Marvel," respectively, since they include Bats and Spidey anyway (and yes, I'm aware the earlier Spider-Man theme was something a little different from the overall Marvel license since it was specific to those movie adaptations, but still...).

And finally, how about putting them in alphabetical order, as was the case with the LEGO Action Themes forum (at least until the recent / current themes of Atlantis, Pharaoh's Quest and Ninjago were appended at the end of the list)? Alternately, they could be listed in thematically related groupings (such as listing Marvel and DC next to each other).

So to make things easy, which description do you propose?

Prince of Persia, Toy Story 3, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Spongebob Squarepants, Ferrari and more

To:

I think Toy Story should be removed entirely in favor of Disney, with basically your reasoning for DC and Marvel. This could also possibly be used for Nickelodeon, which includes both Avatar and Spongebob. The former still gets a few MOCs every now again. Moreso than Ferrari, anyway. And also, there's only 2 more licenses, so why not add them? Licensed has to be more specific now, what with PotC being pirates and LotR being historic.

Oh, and why not simple merge DC and Marvel into Superheros? They share the same discussion thread, I don't see why not here.

So

Disney, Ferrari, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Nickelodeon, Prince of Persia, Speed Racer, Studios, Superheroes.

Does that cover everything?

So to make things easy, which description do you propose?

Prince of Persia, Toy Story 3, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, Spiderman, Spongebob Squarepants, Ferrari and more

To:

I like CallMePieOrDie's ideas here (perhaps with a qualification or two):

I think Toy Story should be removed entirely in favor of Disney, with basically your reasoning for DC and Marvel. This could also possibly be used for Nickelodeon, which includes both Avatar and Spongebob. The former still gets a few MOCs every now again. Moreso than Ferrari, anyway. And also, there's only 2 more licenses, so why not add them? Licensed has to be more specific now, what with PotC being pirates and LotR being historic.

Oh, and why not simple merge DC and Marvel into Superheros? They share the same discussion thread, I don't see why not here.

So

Disney, Ferrari, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Nickelodeon, Prince of Persia, Speed Racer, Studios, Superheroes.

That sounds good, except for perhaps Ferrari and Studios - do they in fact belong here? Obviously Ferrari is a license, but a different kind of license from all the narrative/character-based ones; I'd have thought it would go wherever most other Racers sets go, the same way Shell and Exxon stations go in LEGO Town (they do go in LEGO Town, right?). And Studios included a couple licensed subthemes (for Spider-Man and Jurassic Park), but the overall Studios theme was mostly LEGO original; I would have guessed Studios discussion should go in LEGO Town as well, unless it deals specifically with either of those (or perhaps Studios-style "behind the scenes" MOCs based on other licensed themes).

I hope I'm not being too much of a pain by asking!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

So

Prince of Persia is Disney too. :wink:

Prince of Persia is Disney too. :wink:

The remark you make raises an interesting point. How many people know exactly what's covered by (for example) 'Disney'?

The remark you make raises an interesting point. How many people know exactly what's covered by (for example) 'Disney'?

PotC is too, so maybe it would be better to list all the themes so as to avoid confusion.

Edit: so are DC and Marvel.

Edited by Legoman273

Ah, very good topic! With the Licensed forum being possibly my favorite forum on EB, this has been bugging me for a while as well, and now that we have an active Licensed Regulator again, this is the perfect time to address this issue! :classic:

So

Nobody is removing Toy Story over my dead body! :angry: Nah, just kidding. :tongue: I agree, putting it under the Disney umbrella makes sense.

Your suggestion sounds good, but I'm afraid that names like "Disney" and "Nickelodeon" might be too broad. They might encourage people to post, say, an Aladdin or Hey Arnold MOC in the Licensed forum without it really fitting in there. :sceptic: Then again, it's probably better than listing each movie/show individually, at least for Disney. And I wouldn't be worried about PotC and LotR as the Pirates and Historic forums list them in their descriptions respectively.

I know I do. :tongue: I think a fair amount do, and those who don't will just have to do a little research I guess. After all, every Disney set has a large Disney logo on the box, including PoP.

So, my suggestion is this:

Avatar, Disney, Ferrari, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Speed Racer, Spongebob, Studios, Superheroes.

I'm sure that if we do this, though, a lot of people will mistake "Avatar" for the James Cameron movies, but it would be too much to include "The Last Airbender". :sceptic:

So

Welllllll, going with said basic reasoning, shouldn't PoP also go in the Disney category? It is, after all, based on the movie, which Disney did. If I remember, doesn't it have Disney on the box. I don't mind the current format, I never paid that close attention to it, TBH. :blush: Just sayin'.

Edit: that's what I get for not reading the whole thread. :look:

Edited by Legocrazy81

Welllllll, going with said basic reasoning, shouldn't PoP also go in the Disney category? It is, after all, based on the movie, which Disney did. If I remember, doesn't it have Disney on the box. I don't mind the current format, I never paid that close attention to it, TBH. :blush: Just sayin'.

Edit: that's what I get for not reading the whole thread. :look:

Yes, it is. :grin:

Guys, this issue has been discussed over and over already. :hmpf: The mods have decided to have it this way, and they wont change their mind any time soon, so let it go.

So, have we decided on a description yet? Perhaps we should start a poll? If so, can a mod please add one?

Guys, this issue has been discussed over and over already. :hmpf: The mods have decided to have it this way, and they wont change their mind any time soon, so let it go.

So, have we decided on a description yet? Perhaps we should start a poll? If so, can a mod please add one?

What issue?

The one about moving PotC and LotR to Licensed.

It's probably a good thing if they stay where they are because otherwise we'd have to include them in the already too-long forum description too. :laugh:

The one about moving PotC and LotR to Licensed.

It's probably a good thing if they stay where they are because otherwise we'd have to include them in the already too-long forum description too. :laugh:

:laugh: I meant put them under Disney.

I think "spongebob squarepants" really is descriptive enough as just "Spongebob"

Ok, so opting against an all-encompassing "Disney" in favor of discrete mentions of "Cars," "Toy Story" and "Prince of Persia" (on the grounds that each is likely either a long-lived theme, one based on a particularly acclaimed and beloved franchise, or a particularly fruitful theme as far as LEGO parts and sets go), and selecting a variety of the most current and/or popular themes, a proposal:

"Cars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, Spongebob Squarepants, Superheroes, Toy Story and more" - how does that sound to you folks?

It's been almost a year since I made the last post, and nothing has happened yet. Did we just forget?

"Cars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, Spongebob Squarepants, Superheroes, Toy Story and more" - how does that sound to you folks?

This is still my choice for forum description, but other possibilities are good, too. If nothing else, though, could we please at least change "Toy Story 3" to "Toy Story" (since the LEGO theme covered the series in general) and "Spiderman" to "Spider-Man" (since that's the correct spelling... although if "Spiderman" is changed at all, it might as well be to "Superheroes," so that it covers everything from both Marvel and DC)?

Yeah, I was thinking about this recently too and I'm a bit frustrated that nothing has been done about this yet. I definitely think that Toy Story 3 should be changed to just Disney, and Batman and "Spiderman" to Superheroes. We might as well also add TMNT and maybe the Lone Ranger (to differentiate it from the Western theme).

Yeah, I was thinking about this recently too and I'm a bit frustrated that nothing has been done about this yet. I definitely think that Toy Story 3 should be changed to just Disney, and Batman and "Spiderman" to Superheroes. We might as well also add TMNT and maybe the Lone Ranger (to differentiate it from the Western theme).

Don't put Disney . Lone Ranger is Disney, which a lot of people don't know where Lone Ranger belongs. POTC is Disney, and that is in the Pirates forum. Also, TMNT is Nickolodeon, Just say (in no order): "Marvel, DC, Pixar, Lone Ranger, and Nickelodeon". Don't touch on stuff like Prince of Persia. It's a bit out of date and not necessary.

Yeah, I was thinking about this recently too and I'm a bit frustrated that nothing has been done about this yet.

This frustrates you? The forum still works the same way. Only the Admins can change forum descriptions, and I know for a fact that it's been a busy year for them. In the grand scheme of things this is pretty unimportant. Bumping the thread was a good reminder, I'm sure one of the big cheeses will chime in eventually.

Don't put Disney . Lone Ranger is Disney, which a lot of people don't know where Lone Ranger belongs. POTC is Disney, and that is in the Pirates forum. Also, TMNT is Nickolodeon, Just say (in no order): "Marvel, DC, Pixar, Lone Ranger, and Nickelodeon". Don't touch on stuff like Prince of Persia. It's a bit out of date and not necessary.

Good point. I think your proposal sounds pretty good. It's generalized enough while it still covers most of the licensed themes. Does Everyone else approve this?

This frustrates you? The forum still works the same way. Only the Admins can change forum descriptions, and I know for a fact that it's been a busy year for them. In the grand scheme of things this is pretty unimportant. Bumping the thread was a good reminder, I'm sure one of the big cheeses will chime in eventually.

Sorry, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. I'm sure they've been very busy and I don't blame them for forgetting about this, but it has been bugging me a little since it makes the forum seem out of date and it seems like an easy fix, so I hope one of the admins will get around to it soon.

Pretty soon Disney is going to own everything, so "Disney" in the title of anything will be alittle redundant... :wink:

Pretty soon Disney is going to own everything, so "Disney" in the title of anything will be alittle redundant... :wink:

Yes. And it is not the idea of the forum description: The licence is about the brand and not about the owner of the brand. So there could actually be a "disney licensed" theme some day with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Nobody knows who the owner of a brand or a licence is, so this would not make sense to me. It is about the name of the LEGO Theme. That would lead people posting the related stuff in here.

So, I'd suggest to name it like the LEGO Themes. According to brickset, these are licensed themes:

My suggestion:

Avatar, Batman, Cars, Galidor, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, LotR, PotC, Prince of Persia, Spider-Man, SpongeBob SquarePants, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TMNT, Toy Story

The blue ones can be included under the title "Super Heroes", even though there were independent.

The green ones already have their own forum or are included in another forum.

The violet ones can be shortened.

The red ones are not so important.

This leaves me to:

Avatar, Cars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, SpongeBob, Super Heroes, TMNT, Toy Story

Still too long? Then I would tend to scratch PoP and/or Avatar (out of production, only a few sets) off that list or give HP an own forum. Or is this not so popular here on EB?

Thanks for the great work, admins! It'd be a honor to help you this way.

Edited by PsyKater