Sign in to follow this  
Tordenskjold

Valkyrien a new buildt moc.

Well done mate, the overal look is much better on this way!

But I am curious about this image.

The knob on the cannon is black, I've never seen a cannon with a black knob, is it normal or did you paint it? In case you did, why?

the black knob denote a north american firing cannon in where we didnt get nice cannons where you could pull the knob back and then let the sucker fly instead we had to flick the end of the canon which caused it to fire rather lame actually.

Ahoy,

Sorry for the late follow up (been busy elsewhere), but I noticed the heated discussion on terminology in this thread and thought I

Amen Legeaux. Fantastic point, not to mention I learned quite a bit of nautical history in your thoughtful response...

Remember, pirate vocabulary is more like a loose set of guidelines...

Even our heroes run in error...Jack (POTC 1) - "I

How much stays or ropes is enough on a lego ship? i've tried to put on some stays for my masts but do it look good? never mind the knots as this is just testing. do it look good or is it to much or to little or? valkyrien_stag.jpg_thumb.jpg

I know the color is wrong. but i dont have enough black rope to test with. have to save that for the finish. the blue rope is of a kind i use to fix my father's fishing net's. so next step would be for me to build something to fasten the ropes to. and when the standing rigging is complete ill go on with making sails.

If you are going to do it that way, you will definetly need more, those ships back in the 17th and 18th century had lots of ropes, I bet a quarter of a whole ship is rope....

I know the color is wrong. but i dont have enough black rope to test with. have to save that for the finish. the blue rope is of a kind i use to fix my father's fishing net's. so next step would be for me to build something to fasten the ropes to. and when the standing rigging is complete ill go on with making sails.

Any progress with the rigging and the sails Mr. Tordenskjold?

I just went through the pictures for the first time (a bit late, I know).

What I like about it, is the integrated cabin. It is not too high as the BSB.

Any progress with the rigging and the sails Mr. Tordenskjold?

I just went through the pictures for the first time (a bit late, I know).

What I like about it, is the integrated cabin. It is not too high as the BSB.

Sorry mr Bonaparte. But i've been to busy with my hous and also been on a manouver in the military so havent looked at my lego for some weeks. Hopefully that will change :-$

As for the cabin. i wanted to have cannons pointing backwards and i just couldnt make it look good with cannons in the cabin. so i buildt it as low as i could and i liked what i got :-D . im not sure if thats the last version of the cabin but i like the one i have now. got the idea of the cabin from Parick O'Brian's book, First Command were HMS Sophie was buildt like that.

but thanks for positive coments :-)

Bj

I think it is hard on smaller ships (I mean TLC type) to create any sort of realistic rigging, so I applaud the attempt! There were several ships out there with some nice rigging, I usually just stick with the Lego single rope across the top, so I think I would be of little help.

In terms of all the terminology etc., this is a LEGO Pirate fansite, not just a Pirate fansite. As such, we will always have people here (including myself) who love Lego Pirates, but know NOTHING about actual Pirates. I think I would say that as long as we all know what someone is talking about, we should just move on. It was clear initially Phes was uncertain as to what was being talked about, but after he figured it out, all was well. No one needs to be wrong... even if it was a good North American Zinger ;)

So maybe I should actually say something about the moc!

Not bad at all. It looks like you have a pair of BSBs in there, but used some of the sails on the smaller ship you also have designed. Have you considered making your own sails? (you might have said so and I missed it) or do you like the Red and White ones?

For the sails I added to my various ships, I used burlap and stiffened them enough with a mixture of Elmer's (white) glue and watter. They ended up looking okay.

I think it is hard on smaller ships (I mean TLC type) to create any sort of realistic rigging, so I applaud the attempt! There were several ships out there with some nice rigging, I usually just stick with the Lego single rope across the top, so I think I would be of little help.

In terms of all the terminology etc., this is a LEGO Pirate fansite, not just a Pirate fansite. As such, we will always have people here (including myself) who love Lego Pirates, but know NOTHING about actual Pirates. I think I would say that as long as we all know what someone is talking about, we should just move on. It was clear initially Phes was uncertain as to what was being talked about, but after he figured it out, all was well. No one needs to be wrong... even if it was a good North American Zinger ;)

So maybe I should actually say something about the moc!

Not bad at all. It looks like you have a pair of BSBs in there, but used some of the sails on the smaller ship you also have designed. Have you considered making your own sails? (you might have said so and I missed it) or do you like the Red and White ones?

For the sails I added to my various ships, I used burlap and stiffened them enough with a mixture of Elmer's (white) glue and watter. They ended up looking okay.

Thanks for the tip on the sails ZCerberus. I'm working on plans for sails and rigging. but i cant agree with myself on whats looking best. to have rigging like on a real ship is just to much. i think ill have to make some mix between tlc style and the real style, because if i was to make a correct rigg i wouldnt have enough space on the ship.

im working on plans for the ship and the fort now. and when im going home this weekend ill try them out. maybe ill have some new photos after that.

this ship was the BSB in the first place. but all thats left is the bow now. or parts of the bow.

the rest is buildt up as my own thing. i added the smaller stay sails just to get a wiew of how it would look. its true its from the other ship(wich i didnt buildt myself, but bought on ebay and only modified a bit. )

Thanks for the tip on the sails ZCerberus. I'm working on plans for sails and rigging. but i cant agree with myself on whats looking best. to have rigging like on a real ship is just to much. i think ill have to make some mix between tlc style and the real style, because if i was to make a correct rigg i wouldnt have enough space on the ship.

im working on plans for the ship and the fort now. and when im going home this weekend ill try them out. maybe ill have some new photos after that.

this ship was the BSB in the first place. but all thats left is the bow now. or parts of the bow.

the rest is buildt up as my own thing. i added the smaller stay sails just to get a wiew of how it would look. its true its from the other ship(wich i didnt buildt myself, but bought on ebay and only modified a bit. )

It's been a few days so I was just checking back. Anyway, I know a few people have talked about making sails and having tutorials and what not. I had a thread which the sails on one of my ships came up. I think there is some good infor on it, so maybe you could check it out here.... The Arbiter's sails

Scroll up a bit to get some more info on the sails, but I though a link to the post with pics would be useful!