Sign in to follow this  
jimbob38

Jellybeans in a Jar?

My 9 year old son and I were in Phoenix and did our first PAB wall, 1 large cup each. I'd been scouting the PAB cup packing thread and took away plenty of tips for filling the empty spaces with 1x1 plates. (Especially his cup...lol)

Between our 2 cups, we probably ended up with just over 1/2 a regular size ziplock baggie full of yellow, blue, and orange trans plate studs...

So when you get home and start calculating your haul, how do you figure in the studs without actually counting them all? By weight? Volume? I can't be the only person here who draws the line at counting these, right?

Thanks for any tips! :grin:

If it were me, I would be happy with the count of 1/2 ziplock baggie. Sounds like a good unit of measure! ;)

Andy D

Weigh them. Check Bricklink for the weight (.12 grams), then weigh the studs on a postal scale. A good way to do this is to get a small dish and zero (or tare) the scale with this dish. Make sure the postal scale is in metric. Then put the studs in the dish and weigh them. Once you have the weight of the studs divide that by the BL weight. For example, if your studs weigh 19.92g The amount of studs you have is 19.92/.12 which is 166.

Weigh them. Check Bricklink for the weight (.12 grams), then weigh the studs on a postal scale. A good way to do this is to get a small dish and zero (or tare) the scale with this dish. Make sure the postal scale is in metric. Then put the studs in the dish and weigh them. Once you have the weight of the studs divide that by the BL weight. For example, if your studs weigh 19.92g The amount of studs you have is 19.92/.12 which is 166.

Thank you so much for the help! And based on these calculations, our total between the both of us is 1075 studs. :thumbup:

I kind of wonder now if it's still worth the trouble to pack tight spaces with those single trans studs. After going to numerous PAB's with my niece, our tubs are FILLED with these things we barely use. I mean, you can only make so many headlights for cars or stained glass windows lol or stud towers like my niece makes lol Seems like the best thing these thousands of studs are good for is making us feel like we got a better deal hah.

Edited by Grimmy

Sell'em on Bricklink! Then put the money toward things you want, but are not available in PAB.

Would be a bit strange to open a store on BL just to sell 1x1 studs. What would you name it? The Stud Shop? Roundies? Jar-O-Jellybeans? Taste The Rainbow? It'll be an opportunity to sell anything else you don't/no longer want.